Which engine will you choose on your next A3?

sat1983

Reaction score
...or next car? Or which would you choose knowing what you know now type of thing.

I'm personally very happy with the 2.0 TDI 140. Surprisingly so- it is very fast. Don't laugh, i genuinely think it is for the bhp.
My next A3 will be bought in September 08 and tbh I really don't know what I'd go for.
I do like my diesel now for the torque, but I must admit the clatter in town or at low speeds can get me down.
I really fancy a 2.0T next but I'd worry about the mpg for a car I'd have to keep for 2 years, i'm so used to 50mpg+....
Still I think it'll either be a 2.0TDI 170 if by then the problems are sorted out, an 1.8T or 2.0T...

a TDI 170 isnt really for economy either to be honest - yes it is reasonable and, contrary to what others on here will have you believe, cheaper to run than a 2.0T petrol but you can definately say goodbye to 50+mpg - 40 is going to be more realistic - or less if you do a lot of town driving.

I too have been thinking recently what car to go for next after owning my A3 140PD for nearly 6months now - I will however keep it at least another year once I am finished uni!

After that, the world is my oyster but at the minute I am really interested in buying a 2.0TFSI either in the golf gti/30th edition or an A3 s-line, in white :rock:

Boydie said:
I too have been thinking recently what car to go for next after owning my A3 140PD for nearly 6months now - I will however keep it at least another year once I am finished uni!

After that, the world is my oyster but at the minute I am really interested in buying a 2.0TFSI either in the golf gti/30th edition or an A3 s-line, in white :rock:

But not S3?

Probably a TDI again but a much more developed and advanced one. I REALLY REALLY want the 2.0TFSI but economy an issue.

Can't get the best of both worlds but i'm sure you can get something close... Hopefully some kind of TDI DPF v2 will solve all previous problems with the DPF v1 which will open the gates for tuning capabilities and see the gains that TDI 130/140's get.

I wont be able to afford or insure an S3 probably in a year :S but if I could it would be top of my list!

Boydie said:
I wont be able to afford or insure an S3 probably in a year :S but if I could it would be top of my list!
an S3 can't be THAT much more expencive to buy/insure can it?...Just noticed you're from NI, insurance is pretty high there so I hear.

What worries me with an S3 is that's it's an S3 basically. Love it, but when you haven't got your double garage and you have to leave your car outside all day and night it's not ideal. It would worry me sick.
Which is why I think the 2.0T is a good compromise between subtlety/power.

Hopefully by the time I buy a new A3 sportback in 3years time there will be a 200bhp tdi with 400nm of torque.

2.0 T FSI (or whatever it gets renamed by then) as long as that's available with DSG (now called S-Tronic) and with Quattro.
When I bought my A3 the 2.0 models only had DSG or Quattro, not both.

I had a 140bhp Diesel for a year, was a great car and i agree that for what it is, it is quick. The 2.0T however is a different breed altogether, i enjoy driving it every day ..

I have only been driving 2 years so an S3 for me was not possible, insurance on the 2.0tfsi s-line wasnt cheap :(

Also running costs are quite a bit more, but not as much as the increase in fun :)

Take one for a test drive, and much to bowfers disagreement see what you think to the DSG :) I like it.

I'd like a 6 cyl TDI. I like the 170 TDI (Averaging 44mpg over 8000 miles, seen 60+ on a couple of journeys, and as low as 25 on others!).

I'd like to see a TDI in the TT, but failing that it might have to be an A5...

I'll be going for the new TT next time. Loving the 2.0T engine and a TT with the magnetic suspension would top it off imo.

siu00adg said:
an S3 can't be THAT much more expencive to buy/insure can it?...Just noticed you're from NI, insurance is pretty high there so I hear.

i actually got a quote last night from elephant for next year on a S3, i was quite surprised at the £1200 cheapness!

it would prob be cheaper though if i went with my current insurer or greenlight!

Boydie said:
i actually got a quote last night from elephant for next year on a S3, i was quite surprised at the £1200 cheapness!

it would prob be cheaper though if i went with my current insurer or greenlight!

Try Adrian Flux, I've just turned 25, two speeding tickets, 7yr NCB, for a remapped S3 with around 330bhp, modified suspension, and modified exhaust, CAI, fully comp, £300 excess, unlimited milage, protected no claims, legal cover, brakedown, etc. only £900!

I was well chuffed with that! :icon_thumright:

It would be nice to see the 5 pot twin turbo in the front of an A3. It would sound fantastic!! But I doubt it will happen...

JohnS3 said:
It would be nice to see the 5 pot twin turbo in the front of an A3. It would sound fantastic!! But I doubt it will happen...

Thats what people say the RS3 will be, although I can't imagine it will ever materialise. If it does, I'm part-ex'ing the S3 for one straight away!

An S3, and if the planets line up, then I'll have it this Friday! :yahoo:

My 140TDI is great, just wish it could be a little smoother sometimes. I'll change my car if Audi come up with a 140bhp-ish common rai diesel.

Although sometimes I think about buying a crappy golf, in the hope that I won't spend so much time thinking about my car and just be able to use it as a tool.

siu00adg said:
Thats what people say the RS3 will be, although I can't imagine it will ever materialise. If it does, I'm part-ex'ing the S3 for one straight away!

Me too!!

would love them to put the 3.0 tdi into the A3 but that cant happen because it would be too good! Plus it may not even fit.

cooky

mitch78 said:
When I ordered the car I thought anything over 20mpg would be reasonable, so I'm ecstatic now that I'm getting near the economy of my last diesel!

Based on this, I might even consider upgrading to a B7 RS4 next. (An early used one, I'm not loaded, yet...)

Word of warning, the RS4 has a serious, SERIOUS liking for petrol, a friend with a TVR 350t and an RS4 when they just came out was so shocked by how crap the fuel economy was he ended up trading it in. I reckon he was lucky to see high teens mpg on a good day.

35mpg out of your S3 is pretty good going, you are aware it's the pedal on the right that makes it go faster right? :lmfao: