Upgraded Audi Roadside Assistance

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I have just received a letter from Audi giving details of the 'new' (from March 2007) Upgraded Roadside Assistance.

The new free European-wide cover looks interesting. Means that I will no have have to take out any additional cover when I take my A3 to Austria in June.

Indeedy, received the letter and booklet today. Hopefully won't need to try it. My other half used it for the Golf and the VW guy was great.

Could kick myself. Joined the ****** RAC in January for £40.
Got the Audi assistance now. Never mind!

I've put my AA membership on hold until needed, so when i need an MOT i will give the AA a call, to start the cover again.

Says u can renew for years 4 and 5 for £145, dependant on the cover that could be reasonable since year 4 is £89 alone.

OFF TOPIC: In my 18 months of ownership I have never,ever got a single thing in the post from Audi (other than a couple of replies to letters of complaint I sent them)

d3fy said:
OFF TOPIC: In my 18 months of ownership I have never,ever got a single thing in the post from Audi (other than a couple of replies to letters of complaint I sent them)

I've had 2 now - and nothing other than a letter about the Audi Credit Card!

I still get mail from Ford & Toyota, but nothing from Audi.

I've had several letters from the dealer, both before and after delivery, a few copies of the Audi magazine they send out, and a couple of surveys from Audi HQ (well, whoever they use to do the survey work). Haven't received anything about the upgraded brakedown cover yet though :(

My car goes back to the dealer tomorrow for get a scuff sorted out - happened during tranist ut delaer delaing with it all very pro-actively wheich is nice!.

Anyway, I'll ask the question when the lorry comes to pick it up.... watch this space.

d3fy said:

My dealer keeps phoning my mobile to ask about service,which is actually quite annoying.
I could ask them to stop,but I forget.
They seem to have a knack of phoning when I'm driving too.
Pulling over to have some bint ask you whether your car was hoovered at the last service is infuriating.
I'm afraid I'd rather 'Audi' left me alone until I call them.

Hey, got my letter from Audi today regarding enhanced roadside assistance - pleased with the improvements!

With regards to getting mail from Audi, I bought my last car from aproved used, and obviously my new car through the Audi dealer network and both times I ahve had to fill out a form 'opting in' to receiving the magazein and promotional mail. Audi will want to mail you info on prod's and services so call Auid customer services and get them to add you to their database.

Hope that helps,

JK

MarcQuinlivan said:
perhaps you should write them a letter to complain about that....

fingersmile.jpg

h5djr said:
I have just received a letter from Audi giving details of the 'new' (from March 2007) Upgraded Roadside Assistance.

The new free European-wide cover looks interesting. Means that I will no have have to take out any additional cover when I take my A3 to Austria in June.

Audi have been doing it for a few years, it has its own dedicated phoneline (rather than ringing the UK, then them ringing someone who rings someone etc etc) which is handy although I never needed it. Was pretty dissappointed that VW dont do the same but hey, when you buy the peoples car...

So do you think the £145 for years 4 & 5 are worth it? I guess you can get cheeper cover from the AA or RAC or anyone else, but...

Audi have been doing it for a few years, it has its own dedicated phoneline (rather than ringing the UK, then them ringing someone who rings someone etc etc) which is handy although I never needed it.

Whenever I have enquired in the passed they have said they would extend the cover to Europe but would make a charge for doing do. Basically it was the normal RAC European cover but at a discount. Now it's free.

So do you think the £145 for years 4 & 5 are worth it? I guess you can get cheeper cover from the AA or RAC or anyone else, but...

I have just looked at the RAC website and for cover equivalent to the Audi cover will cost £166.00 per year or £132.80 per year if you arrange it on the internet, so £145.00 for 2 years seems good value to me.

Friend of mine's BMW recently broke down at the Nurburgring and BMW Assist paid for a taxi for him and his passenger to Frankfurt airport (300 Euros) and then a flight home to London with British Airways with a hire car waiting for him at the airport! The car was repatriated separately a week later and delivered to his local dealer.

Can't see Audi matching that tbh!

Back in 1987 when I was driving an Audi 80 Sport and was on holiday in Germany, a girl in a Fiesta ran into the back of my car at about 50mph when I was stooped at traffic lights. The impact pushed my car into a Golf waiting in front of me, hence my Audi was smashed at both ends. The German police attended the accident and arrange for a local garage to come out and recover my car. The garage arranged for an insurance assessor to come out straight away to have a look at the car. They then loaned me a 3-series BMW to finish the last few days of my holiday. I then drove the car back to the garage and they took me to Hanover airport for the flight which had been booked for me to fly home. At Heathrow I picked up a hire car to drive home.

This was all orgainsed and paid for by the AA 5 star European cover that I had taken out. So I would expect that the Audi cover, which is basically organised through the RAC, would be the same. The details sent in the post says it covers Roadside Assistance, recovery,repatriation, replacement vehicles and onward travel benefits for accidents and breakdowns. I just hope I never have to find out!

h5djr said:
Whenever I have enquired in the passed they have said they would extend the cover to Europe but would make a charge for doing do. Basically it was the normal RAC European cover but at a discount. Now it's free.

I used to buy my A3's from Tonbridge Audi but pick them up in Roermond in Holland, every time the woman there would point out the numbers for Audi Roadside assist and there would be one for Europe, one for Germany and one for the UK on a card in the handbook/user manual case. I didnt pay any extra for this, maybe it was just an extra for the British Forces in Germany but I doubt it... (free european roadside assist doesnt sound like the same company that sells 20k cars without rear floor mats)

Yes there has always been the basic roadside assistance available in Europe but that was it. Now there is roadside assistance, recovery, repatriation, replacement vehicles and onward travel benefits for accidents and breakdowns and all for no extra cost.

I've not seen a thing about this but then my vehicle is leased so maybe it'll take a while for the details to filter through, if at all. Maybe I'll drop Audi CS a line and ask them what the deal is.

What reason is there to NOT to join Audi Roadside Assistance? (apart from price. what disadvantages does it have)

unkle said:
(free european roadside assist doesnt sound like the same company that sells 20k cars without rear floor mats)
Both my A3s (04 & 07) came with front and rear floormats at no charge. Genuine Audi ones, not some cheap rubber jobs.

I'm assuming they are standard over here, or else the dealer throws them in. I also got a full tank of fuel with both cars.