AH FabricationsSky Insurance

2007 Sportback - cup holder

On the latest 2007 Sportback with the new Symphony II+ radio, does anyone know if the storage tray can be changed for a cup holder.

I've looked at the previous threads about this but they all seem to refer to earlier models with the previous version of the Symphony / Concert II
    Last edited by h5djr; 5th April 2007 at 16:52.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    Ditto the A3/S3 - same layout...or even a really tidy aftermarket holder would do me fine.
    Silver 2007 S3

Neutral

Status
    I tried to add that to my order but was told it was not possible with the new Concert unit.
    2007 A4 Avant S-Line 1,8TQ Black

S55 LKS

Status
    I wonder whether its because the row of switches nd storage tray is slightly narrower with the double din HU's. As its located slightly lower and the centre console tapers in, maybe they have cut the width from the storage tray.

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree but perhaps its posible to mod a cupholder to fit if its just a case of shaving a few mm from the back of it.???

Someone needs to borrow one from a single din car and just see why it wont fit.
    2004 1.9TDi A4 Avant Sport, GmbH bodykit, DPM Remap, Fishscale Alu trim, RNS-E

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Evotek
    I tried to add that to my order but was told it was not possible with the new Concert unit.
    Been told the same. Does anyone know if it is possible to retro fit a cup holder using the not-so-useful card holder tray?
    2007 Lava grey A3 2.0 140 TDI Quattro Sportsback
    S-line int/ext, cruise, mfsw, aluminum rails, Xenons+, coming-leaving home, light + rain, parking sensors, hill hold, Bluefin, 18" OEM double 7-spokes RS4 alloys

No Comment!

Status

Wink As done on mine...

Quote Originally Posted by h5djr
    On the latest 2007 Sportback with the new Symphony II+ radio, does anyone know if the storage tray can be changed for a cup holder.

I've looked at the previous threads about this but they all seem to refer to earlier models with the previous version of the Symphony / Concert II
    Hello! Yes I can say that I have managed to successfully do this small transplant operation! :-)

Yes the storage tray is narrower and angled differently. But don't let this fool you!

Mearly take out the storage tray... Then you have to carefully take off the front cover of this tray. It is this front cover that you have to use for the cup holder.

Next take off the front cover on the cupholder... Replace it with the storage tray cover, (May need filing/sanding down on the inner corners a bit) then fit back into the dash... and viola!! Blended neatly into the dash! Only snagg though is that it will still have the sign for a storage tray and not the cup sign.

:-)
    Dolphin Grey A3

S55 LKS

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jo_sal77
    Hello! Yes I can say that I have managed to successfully do this small transplant operation! :-)

Yes the storage tray is narrower and angled differently. But don't let this fool you!

Mearly take out the storage tray... Then you have to carefully take off the front cover of this tray. It is this front cover that you have to use for the cup holder.

Next take off the front cover on the cupholder... Replace it with the storage tray cover, (May need filing/sanding down on the inner corners a bit) then fit back into the dash... and viola!! Blended neatly into the dash! Only snagg though is that it will still have the sign for a storage tray and not the cup sign.

:-)
    Just means it will look standard and very stealthy.
    2004 1.9TDi A4 Avant Sport, GmbH bodykit, DPM Remap, Fishscale Alu trim, RNS-E

Reverse Gear

Status
    Another reason why you don't get a cup holder with a double-DIN unit is because if you have a drink in the holder in the lower position, it will interfere with gear changing. i

6th Gear

Status
    I'm not sure I'd want a cup holder below the head-unit as the slightest spill could have nasty consequences.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

Another reason why you don't get a cup holder with a double-DIN unit is because if you have a drink in the holder in the lower position, it will interfere with gear changing. i
    Another advatange for an S-tronic !

I would only ever use mine when I was parked, not whilst I was driving.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

No Comment!

Status

Talking snag numero deux!

Snag number 2!

Unless you have big hand nuckles yes you will hit the cup holder on a manual gear shift. Another snag is you will have difficulty changing the sat-nav views not to mention if you had a cup in the way of the screen! lol....

I only have it now cause it looks like an impressive foldable cup deck to show off to your fellow friends! Even more usefull on them McDo trips, when you really want to avoid the chav's indoors. Going through drive-thru, I used to order a meal and then they hand you that delicate cup you decide to put in between your legs while driving. Try gear shifting then! haha.
    Dolphin Grey A3

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jo_sal77
    I only have it now cause it looks like an impressive foldable cup deck to show off to your fellow friends!
    Do you get out much? :D