Chris NottJMB Retrofits
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    1st Gear

Status

New S3 Brake Rust

Just posted pic in Gallery section by mistake but don't seem to be able to upload said pic to new threads.
    Will try again but in the meantime could new S3 owners view and let me know if they have the same problem as it seems to be fairly widespread.
    Trev

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    Just looked. My A3 gets this too. It's very unsightly but does come off.

A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line

Gone...and quite quickly forgotten

6th Gear

Status
    Trev mine are exactly the same, I'm in Durham now too!
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

Neutral

Status
    Same here

2007 S3 Phantom Black - All the toys!

1st Gear

Status

New S3 Brake Rust

I gather Audi are getting quite a few complaints over this issue lets be clear it's really a cosmetic problem, but one you would expect to see on cars a few years old and not three weeks old.
    Earlier Audis had a deep alloy wheel centre boss and thin brake disc hub to obtain the "offset" this has now been reversed and as we all know the complete disc is cast and will therefore rust.
    I would have thought they could easily come up with some sort of surface treatment for the hub section at very little cost, after all what's the point in having nice open spoke alloys and black enamelled calipers sporting the S3 logo with all that rust in between.
    Trev

1st Gear

Status
    Yep i changed wheels today, and the back discs outer surface is totally rusted..
    Audi A3 8P 2.0 TDI S-Line Lava-grey // BBS CK 8x19 ET44 // 215/35 R19 Dunlop Sport FM901 // Eibach Sportline 50/40mm // Bluefin

1st Gear

Status
    My neighbour has a new model TT and his hubs have not rusted although he has run it throughout the winter.
    If they can sort it for the TT they should be able to sort it for the S3.
    I am not looking forward to this "feature" arriving on my new S3.

prt

windsurfer

Status
    Still to receive my S3 (very very soon....) I hope this "feature" is not standard on mine...

Pedro
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

6th Gear

Status
    Maybe a call to customer services required....
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

Big Ron

Status

am I missing something here? I thought all brake discs rusted? Driving the car should get the rust off

Smart Roadster 03
    Ford Sportka 05

1st Gear

Status
    Could someone take a picture?

I haven't noticed this at all.

Could it have anything to do with the salt they put on the roads in the UK?

07 S3 sold and replaced with E92 335 coupe

Neutral

Status

2007 S3 Phantom Black - All the toys!

3rd Gear

Status
    I think there are versions of this thread on every VAG forum going. It seems to effect all the MKV based motors. Poor attention to detail by VAG, penny pinching I reckon. It is only on the surface and is easily removed but it shouldn't happen in the first place.

6th Gear

Status
    Silver75

Its the hubs we are on about not the discs.

Mine are not as bad as Didges yet, just patchy.

Big Ron

Status
    ah I see... my mistake

Smart Roadster 03
    Ford Sportka 05

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by silver75

am I missing something here? I thought all brake discs rusted? Driving the car should get the rust off
    Its the disc hub and not the braking surface.
    Trev

Big Ron

Status
    ^^speedy gonzalez over here

Smart Roadster 03
    Ford Sportka 05

1st Gear

Status
    Guys I have to say I've had two MKV GTIs and neither them or my S3 has that rust.

I bet it's whatever they use on the roads for ice over your way??

2nd Gear

Status
    What? Water and cool temps? lol

Not anymore - Back 2 BMW (shh)

Status
    My A3 is the same - it's absolute crud! Take them off and try some Hammerite?!?

5th Gear

Status
    I complained about this, about a week after getting it and was told it is to protect the car whilst standing and not when in use and so will come off. It looks ****, so I hammerited mine and now they are fine. A kids Gti at work also had the same problem.

I can have a pointless plastic sun flap that sits above the rear view mirror, I can have a useless sun blind for the parcel shelf, but we will let the wheel hubs rust because we can't be arsed to spray'em with owt decent...
    2.0T Quattro SLine, now 320d Sport Touring

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by normski
    What? Water and cool temps? lol
    Yeh, of course.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by d3fy
    I can have a pointless plastic sun flap that sits above the rear view mirror, I can have a useless sun blind for the parcel shelf, but we will let the wheel hubs rust because we can't be arsed to spray'em with owt decent...
    I hate to put a downer on things but this more or less sums up my thoughts about Audi full stop.

Third Gear

Status
    Checked my discs yesterday when cleaning the car and No rust. Maybe it is just the luck of the draw, my car has been on wet salty roads like everybody else.
    I do keep it in the garage though, maybe that helps.???

Mark
    07 S3 Sprint Blue Now Sold
    12 Range Rover Evoque Dynamic Now sold
    A3 20 TDI S-Line Sportback in Daytona Grey with Aluminium Roof Rails, Fine Nappa Leather, Sat Nav, Comfort pack,Audi Sound System, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Interior Light Pack, Non Smoke Pack.

Neutral

Status
    Also checked my car today, no rust what so ever and I live in a country where they spread a lot of salt on the road in the winter. Maybe they forgot/missed to treat your alloys with anti rust something at the factory...
    Audi S3 - 2007 (BSR remap 310 bhp) Team Ibis White

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FreddieS3
    Also checked my car today, no rust what so ever and I live in a country where they spread a lot of salt on the road in the winter. Maybe they forgot/missed to treat your alloys with anti rust something at the factory...
    Just cannot believe you have no rust on brake hubs, I think they use a different treatment for the uk but when asked they say not.
    Trev

5th Gear

Status
    Every car I've ever owned does this, just paint them! Use some Phos.acid based wheel cleaner on the area first to convert the rust then apply some hammer****e - job done!

5th Gear

Status
    No car I have owned (Lexus, BMW) has done this except the Audi. Mine is parked in a garage all night and at weekends and in the day its parked in a Multi story, so I don't think that had anything to do with it.

I think what has got something to do with it is that they don't want to pay the cost to spray them with something that will stay on.

My BM is fixed!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JamS3
    Silver75

Its the hubs we are on about not the discs.
    The part you are on about is actually called the disc bell, not the hub, the hub is the part the disc bolts onto, you can't see the hub without removing the disc.

ALL discs rust, its due to the rapid heating and cooling of the metal, and its exposure to the air/road grit/water/salt etc the only way to stop it is to get the bell enamelled or powder coated, paint will eventually come off.

The only bells that wont rust are the aluminium ones you can get but even they will anodise after a while.
    Chris

The problem with common sense, is that its not that common.

See my images @
    http://www.christianfrench.co.uk

Own a dreaded BMW? http://www.bmw-sport.net

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A4Quattro
    The part you are on about is actually called the disc bell, not the hub, the hub is the part the disc bolts onto, you can't see the hub without removing the disc.

ALL discs rust, its due to the rapid heating and cooling of the metal, and its exposure to the air/road grit/water/salt etc the only way to stop it is to get the bell enamelled or powder coated, paint will eventually come off.

The only bells that wont rust are the aluminium ones you can get but even they will anodise after a while.
    OK it's called the "Bell" but I think your missing the point made 6 days ago in my earlier post.
    Trev

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TrevS3
    OK it's called the "Bell" but I think your missing the point made 6 days ago in my earlier post.
    lol

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TrevS3
    Exactly. I've noticed one or two posts on UKMKIVs and a similar discussion over on Briskoda where a (Skoda employed) 'tech' is just pointing out that stuff rusts basically. That's not the point. I know stuff rusts and I know that in this case it's just on the surface but VAG should have sorted this out. It's highly visible and should not happen.

My BM is fixed!

Status

ok?
    Chris

See my images @

5th Gear

Status

WOW I could make millions by introducing Mr Audi and the rest of his German friends to a wonderful new invention called Hammerite..... this amazing substance stays on the wheels, or brake calipers, does not flake off when you look at it and last for longer that it takes to get the car out of the showroom.

My BM is fixed!

Status
    its purely cosmetic and if any car company covered the bell in some sort of covering it would increase the cost substantially and nobody wants to pay more for something that is considered a consumable item and the chances are if they did cover the bell in some "paint" or similar it would come off pretty soon then there would be people complaining about that.

Its a bit of surface rust that all cars suffer from, lighten up!
    Chris

See my images @

My BM is fixed!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by d3fy
    WOW I could make millions by introducing Mr Audi and the rest of his German friends to a wonderful new invention called Hammerite..... this amazing substance stays on the wheels, or brake calipers, does not flake off when you look at it and last for longer that it takes to get the car out of the showroom.
    It might stay on there for 5 minutes but as soon as you start getting the brakes hot, off it will come, the discs can get to 200+ degrees and no hammerite is going to withstand that, trust me I have tried time and again.

Stove enamelling or powder coating is the only thing that would stay on for any period of time and that's costly.
    Chris

See my images @

5th Gear

Status
    Rubbish! I painted the calipers on the last car and they lasted for two years until sold with no chiping, flaking, waring, falling off'ing at all. I painted the Audi ones at some point last year and bet they last.

To some people, a bit of rust on a brand new car is not acceptable at all. Me being one.

1st Gear

Status
    It might stay on there for 5 minutes but as soon as you start getting the brakes hot, off it will come, the discs can get to 200+ degrees and no hammerite is going to withstand that, trust me I have tried time and again.

Stove enamelling or powder coating is the only thing that would stay on for any period of time and that's costly.
    Trev

My BM is fixed!

Status
    What on earth has the calliper, a stationary part got to do with a disc that gets about 4x hotter and spins at up to 150 miles per hour?

How would something behind the wheel get chipped or wear out? I didn't say that.
    I painted my callipers with brake caliper paint when I bought the car, before any rust had a chance to develop and 2 years later most of it is still there but it has flaked off and now looks a bit unsightly.

The disc is a different matter, next time you pop to tesco or wherever you use your car put your fingers through the wheel and feel the caliper, then feel the disc.
    Hammerite will eventually come off, if Audi painted their discs people would moan that the paint had come off when it starts to chip off. simple.
    Chris

See my images @

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast