s3 daytime driving lights

Banwell

previously LeeS3
Reaction score
Has anyone investigated swapping these out yet? They are noticibily more yellow than the xenons..

The bulbs in the DRLs are longlife 21w bulb similat to those used in the brake lights. Not sure if anyone does anything different in standard bulbs. Using any form halogen bulb would rather defeat the object.

Its something I would be looking at doing when mine arrives. I currently have LED "side lights" or "daytimg running lights" (which ever the correct term is) in my 8L S3. Got them from www.ultraleds.co.uk.

But I don't know what type of bulb is in the 8P.

AL

Can you turn off the DRL when the full lights are on though?

My GTI had the xenons and the DRL did not come on with the xenons and it looked so much neater.

I assume it's the same on the S3 as other A3s. When the car is fitted with Bi-Xenon headlights with the DRLs in the inner lights, these can be turned on and off using the roller switch next to the main lighting switch - where the headlight height adjustment switch used to be and next the the instrument brightness switch. I think you will find I is on and O is off.

h5djr said:
I assume it's the same on the S3 as other A3s. When the car is fitted with Bi-Xenon headlights with the DRLs in the inner lights, these can be turned on and off using the roller switch next to the main lighting switch - where the headlight height adjustment switch used to be and next the the instrument brightness switch. I think you will find I is on and O is off.

Correct.

Yeh but the same lights come on when you put on your headlights - you can't control that with the DRL switch?

Interesting, I don't have my car with DRLs yet but the Owners Manual (which I do have) says 'You can use the control (DRL) to switch the daytime running lights on and off as required'. Seems a bit silly to leave the DRLs on when xenons are on.

Excuse my ignorance!!! Are these only available on zenon equipped cars?

Hmmmm....has the DRL something to do with the fact that when I have the light switch in "auto" mode, the car somehow knows that its daylight and not use the xenons. I always turn the light switch all the way down to the right becasue I want my xenons on at all times.

The other switch "DRL", have two modes 0 or 1. Haven't really bothered to check myself, but if I understand right the xenons will always be on if I switch the DRL to 0 , even in "auto" mode ?????? Correct???

All I want for daytime/nighttime is xenons! Nothing else.....

Excuse my ignorance!!! Are these only available on zenon equipped cars?
According to my Owners Manual, DRLs are a 21w bulb in the inner headlight units on cars with xenon plus headlights and on vehicles with halogen headlights, the dipped headlights will come on with reduced intensity.

The daytime running lights are only these smaller yellowy bulbs that people describe, not xenons.

They are a long lasting bulb hence for them being on all the time, if the xenons were used for running lights it would get very expensive in bulb replacements.

If you turn the DRL switch to I running lights will come on in the daytime with the light switch in Auto mode. O turns them off

mitch78 said:
Xenon bulbs are designed to last AT LEAST 3000 hours, so bulb replacement shouldn't be an issue even if they're on all the time. The car I've just got rid of had xenons and I used them whenever I was in the car. I had it nearly 3 years without any problems and I covered a lot of miles in that time.

The difference between xenon bulbs and halogens, in terms of bulb life, is that halogens are limited by the number of hours they are turned on. This is because the filament can only take so much heat. As xenons don't have a filament this isn't a problem. Their life is affected more by the number of on/off cycles than the time they are on.

I hope someone finds that useful.

Hold on m8, one minute its 3000 hrs, next minute it doesn't matter about the time, only the number of "onn/offs".

Which is it?

lol. well can the DRL's be changed for something abit more "whiter"?

but its not winter anymore, why you need the running lights on at all ? :no:

The object of daytime running lights is just that. You run with them on all the time. Research has shown that other road users, pedestrians in particular and drivers waiting to pull out from a junction see a car with DRLs much more than one without. It is this fact that has already made them a legal requirement in some European countries and the latest I've heard is that they will be a legal requirement in all EU countries, including the UK, by 2010.

My 2007 A3 Sportback with bi-xenon headlights has a revolving switch where the headlight range adjustment switch used to be so that you can switch the DRLs off if you want to, but this option will be removed when then become a legal requirement. When this happens any car not fitted with DRLs will have to have dipped headlights on at all times.

Unlike Volvos and Saabs, Audi's DRLs are only on the front. The rear lights do not come on at all, except when you actually switch your main lights on. This will be the EU requirement - Front lights only.

Its a good idea to use front lights in the morning or late afternoon when the sun is low and behind you. This lets on coming road users see you against the bright sun.

I misunderstood what "Daytime Running Lights" actually are, when I made my reply to this thread earlier. I'd confused them with the "Side lights".

My S3 (without Auto Lights pack, or whatever its called) has a switch, I or 0, for the Daytime Running lights. If you then use the main light switch to turn on your Side Lights and subsequently the Xenons, the Daytime Running Lights are switched off. So you cant have DRL's, Side Lights and Xenons on all at the same time.

Have to agree though, both the DRL's and the sidelight bulbs are very yellow.

Had a look at changing the sidelight bulbs, very very fiddley, and I cannot reach the bulb holder itself. Anyone else tried? On my old 8L S3, you could pull out the sidelight bulb carrier by just firmly tugging on the wires, but didn't want to try this on my brand new car. Anyone know if they can be changed by the same technique?

AL

I know all the TDI drivers laugh at us when we go to the pump over and over again... it is almost embarassing! lol But while we refuel twice (or more) compared with TDI we got double fun!... I hope....

S3 is nice and thirsty as hell... but.. hey.. could be raining! Nothing I would not expect. My average is 11L/100Km... nice!... for petrol station owners! :jump:

Pedro

AL_B said:
Had a look at changing the sidelight bulbs, very very fiddley, and I cannot reach the bulb holder itself. Anyone else tried? On my old 8L S3, you could pull out the sidelight bulb carrier by just firmly tugging on the wires, but didn't want to try this on my brand new car. Anyone know if they can be changed by the same technique?

AL

Hey dude, hows the motor? Still waiting for mine following the dealer **** up. Hopefully this week. Did you part-ex you old S3? Oh, yeah, whats the VIN number? I wonder who won that competition? :)

Cheers, Steve

I was driving west on the M4 yesterday evening and drove past a blue S3 reg DG07, if you're on here nice car :)

As I drove past I took my time to look at the car from all angles since it is the same colour as I will be getting in hopefully 4 weeks time. It wasn't until I got to the front and looked in the rear view mirrors that I noticed those yellow driving lights!
I'm going to have to change them as a priority! It's funny how noticable they were, possible because I'd previously read this thread but they really are yellow.

Still confused about what to replace them with so all suggestions welcome on what people have used:icon_thumright:

I have a feeling that because the DIS (auto check) system in the new cars is so sensitive, fitting LED's for the DRL's will cause a bulb fail warning. (See Xenon Side Light thread)

The Load Resistors that you can buy, are pretty big by the looks of things, so if you wanted to do side lights too, then space is going to be tight. AND the load resistors get very hot apparently.

So unless someone manufactures some LED bulbs that have built in resistors to fool the auto-check system, then I think we are stuck with yellow bulbs.

AL

AL_B said:
I have a feeling that because the DIS (auto check) system in the new cars is so sensitive, fitting LED's for the DRL's will cause a bulb fail warning. (See Xenon Side Light thread)

The Load Resistors that you can buy, are pretty big by the looks of things, so if you wanted to do side lights too, then space is going to be tight. AND the load resistors get very hot apparently.

So unless someone manufactures some LED bulbs that have built in resistors to fool the auto-check system, then I think we are stuck with yellow bulbs.

AL

Hi Al, just looked at the other thread and see what you mean.Surely though there is a bulb available which burns a cooler blue white rather than a yellow white which seems to be what the car comes with.
I have some higher Kelvin (colour temperature, higher kelving more blue the light tends to get) and much brighter (but legal) PIAA bulbs in my BMW, they were just a straight replacement filament type bulb IIRC?

Why even use LED's as a replacement for the yellow DRL's?

Just use a whiter bulb like the PIAA that copperband suggested...

LED's seem to be so much hassle =/

Just keep them turned off and save any hassle on a brand new car, I have never used them!

I don't get that option in my A3. I can't turn them off =/