RNS-E TMC option....

cliveywolves

Reaction score
Website
www.carinsurance4u.co.uk
Hi all,

Quick question re TMC in the UK , just wondered what radio station you have selected for the TMC option on the RNS-E,, ie do you select
Radio 1 or Just leave it on auto ???

Do some stations work better than others ???
icon_confused.gif

Cheers

There are two TMC providers in the UK, and TMC station depends on who Audi signed the contract with. If its ITIS then Classic FM is used, TrafficMaster has gone with a consortium of local station.

Yon need to find out if the RNS-E is a dual tunner system. If it is then you can listern to any station cos the other tuner does the TMC stuff. If its a single tuner system them you can only listern to the TMC station if you want working TMC (of a CD).

The biggest limitation with TMC is imposed by Blaupunkt systems, which limits TMC to motorways within a 60 mile radius, which is useless in the UK. TMC cover 100% of motorways and 95% of dual carriage ways. I can see how this would work in Germany, where most dual carriage ways are classed as Motorways.

Hope this info helps.

Chris.

I've left mine on auto. It picks up everything (motorways and A/B roads) all the way down to Penzance, and it is dual tuner so you can listen to any radio station you want and still receive tmc updates

arthurfuxake said:
I've left mine on auto. It picks up everything (motorways and A/B roads) all the way down to Penzance, and it is dual tuner so you can listen to any radio station you want and still receive tmc updates

so a decent system then :thumbsup:

arthurfuxake said:

cheers for that info.... have you got yours tuned into a certain station or auto mode ???

clive

Have mine on auto and it works perfectly. Be aware that it can take a few minutes for any messages to appear when you start a journey.

Vertigo1 said:
Have mine on auto and it works perfectly. Be aware that it can take a few minutes for any messages to appear when you start a journey.
Same here, leave it on auto. To get round the slight delay, what I do if I'm preparing for a long journey (which really means loading our Sportback up with the baby's stuff!), before doing anything I switch the RNS-E on after unlocking the car, then carry on loading. By the time we're ready to go, after about 10 minutes, the first few messages usually have loaded.

Does the Sat-nav take into account the TMC info and divert you around taffic jams?

Indeed it does. You get a voice warning which says "Attention, your route has been changed due to traffic problems". Got it the other night coming down the M6 as there had been an accident and the traffic was at a standstill.

Vertigo1 said:
Indeed it does. You get a voice warning which says "Attention, your route has been changed due to traffic problems". Got it the other night coming down the M6 as there had been an accident and the traffic was at a standstill.
Cool! Have yet to have that happen to me. Does it only route you round the accident if you're following a navigated route, or does it also do it when it's just displaying your current position (i.e. non-navigated)?

It'll only route you round it if navigating to a destination but if you're not navigating and it finds traffic ahead on the road you're currently on (such as a motorway) then you'll get a voice message like "Warning, stationary traffic in 8 miles"

this TMC and RNS-E is a clever bit of kit hey.... everytime i log on im being told about more and more functions that it does.........:yahoo:

Glad i invested my money in it now........

Vertigo1 said:
It'll only route you round it if navigating to a destination but if you're not navigating and it finds traffic ahead on the road you're currently on (such as a motorway) then you'll get a voice message like "Warning, stationary traffic in 8 miles"
Excellent, just what I wanted to read. I rarely use the navigation if I know where I'm going (duh!) but this example is where having TMC will really pay off. You can then use the display to find alternative routes, or start navigating to a known point to have the RNS-E do it for you.

IME, the only people who say RNS-E isn't worth it are those without it. I've yet to see anyone who's got it complain about it tbh - superb system.

It must be said my hand held Becker unit costing £300 also has full TMC, across the whole of Europe, which does all the dynamic re-routing, speed limit warning, speed camera locations etc. etc.

I few years ago I was glad to pay £2000 for a Sat Nav because of TMC, because of the lack of this feature in hand held units. But no more since the last unique selling feature has found its way into the portable market.

Remember, my Becker including mapping for 26 European countries & TMC cost not much more than a map update to RNS-E.

If you discovering TMC for the first time - enjoy :)

Chris.

Have just had my satnav updated by audi including tmc yet the tmc on the screen still has a line thru it as if its still not working....how can I check

gjcknocker said:
Have just had my satnav updated by audi including tmc yet the tmc on the screen still has a line thru it as if its still not working....how can I check

Hi, If the TMC Icon has a line going through it then the TMC is not working... IE software not installed correctly or you are just not picking up the TMC service.. ( there a few users on this forum who can not pick up TMC were they live)......

Check the unit has updated to the 0550 software version and that you have the 2007 disc inserted. If the answer to both of these is yes then it sounds like a reception problem - where are you exactly?

There are two TMC systems in the UK, but I am not sure which on Audi uses (not being a RNS-E owner).

The ITIS TMC system uses Classic FM
The TrafficMaster TMC system uses GCap Media Plc and Chrysails commercial radio stations.

If a RNS-E owner can confirm the radio station it is using you should be able to confirm coverage in your area

Chris.

Audi TMC uses the trafficmaster system, so you dont have to select any station just leave the TMC setting to auto .....

I maybe be wrong but im sure i have heard somebody else from scotland moaning about TMC not working.....

HeliChris said:
There are two TMC systems in the UK, but I am not sure which on Audi uses (not being a RNS-E owner).

The ITIS TMC system uses Classic FM
The TrafficMaster TMC system uses GCap Media Plc and Chrysails commercial radio stations.

If a RNS-E owner can confirm the radio station it is using you should be able to confirm coverage in your area

Chris.

My RNS-E picks up...

Capital FM
Heart FM
Classic FM

I just set it to AUTO. I once caught it picking up traffic in cornwall and north england, nice detailed info but i'm in london don't really need this much detail lol.

jo_sal77 said:
My RNS-E picks up...

Capital FM
Heart FM
Classic FM

I just set it to AUTO. I once caught it picking up traffic in cornwall and north england, nice detailed info but i'm in london don't really need this much detail lol.
I live in the same area and get the same stations with no problem. Not only that, but at the weekend I made a series of long drives (Carling Cup Final, Cardiff, and Sussex to drop my wife and son off at my in-laws) and TMC worked flawlessly all the time in all areas.

All the icons came up as needed. I notice they appear in grey when not directly ahead on your route; nice touch.