Superchips TDI170 has gone

Vertigo1

Reaction score
Not that I was seriously looking at it but I notice that Superchips offering for the TDI170 engine has vanished off their site.

An indication of problems perhaps?

I hope not. Mine's booked in for a remap at the VW MKIV forum's open day on 3rd February!

Sounds interesting, can anyone show up? Might pop down.

Just got off the phone to the boys at Superchips. Apparantly there is a problem with the particulate filter sesnsor on the TDI170 which is the reason why it's been pulled from the website.

They are working on the problem and will let me know early next week regarding the outcome of some further work they're doing.

Hopefully they'll get it sorted.

What sort of increases did they think they could get?

Hope they sort it galewis. Are you going on the Fri or the Sat? I'm very likely to come down on the Saturday to have a look around and meet some new people, would be good to see exactly what gains your 170 gets, maybe even go out for a spin in it afterward?

Vertigo1 said:
Hope they sort it galewis. Are you going on the Fri or the Sat? I'm very likely to come down on the Saturday to have a look around and meet some new people, would be good to see exactly what gains your 170 gets, maybe even go out for a spin in it afterward?

Assuming they sort the problem out, I'll be going on Friday as I have the day off. If you can make it that day, you're welcome to check out my remap.

Gary

I'd be cautious about that particulate filter sensor. It might suggest that the remap is causing fuel residue to reach the DPF - not good. Those are expensive bits to replace.

Well it's obviously serious enough for them to remove the item from their website so you could well be right there.

Remaps scare me tbh, especially on new models and engines where you're forced to wonder how much of their testing you'd be doing for them.

Put it this way. I work inside the automotive industry. I know people who work directly on the design and development of diesel engines. And it takes more than a quick test drive to verify an engine map. The word of wisdom about remapping TDI's is - don't even think about it. Turbo petrol's are fine, but the messing with compression loads and complexity (3x more components) of the diesels is asking for trouble.

I have said it before, and got shot down. Manufactures don't build extra performance into the engines then down turn down the power, because a bhp figure sells cars. They build an engine that won't give them warranty worries, and can be used in all environments they are going to sell the car, and will meet emissions rules. Why whould they fit bigger injectors, bigger particulate filters, etc they all cost more money.

If there was 215 bhp in that engine without issue Audi would have it on the market. If it's just an emissions issue, are you sure you want to by pass this for a few extra bhp? Will turning your tv off at night offset your conscience?

My view, if you want a faster car, buy one. Any mod is a short term gain until you get used to it.

Chris.

Not to mention gearbox/transmissions. They are specified for a given torque (not power). The safety margin can be suprisingly small on these high torque TDIs. Helichris is right the cost of the components is based on the expected use, there is no over-engineering these days (unless you pay for it).

Don't get me wrong I'm glad and support people getting great enjoyment from modifying and I'm as big a fan of Overhaulin' as the next guy, but don't think that any of these mods come with no risks.

Lowered and therefore harder suspension will reduce the life of the body due to metal fatigue.
Bigger wheels will reduce your survivability in a collision (reduced crush space)
Increase output of engine will reduce engine and transmission life.