Xeon Convertions

rosscotdi

Reaction score
Hi All,
I've bought a set of Xeon convertion kit For my A3 55 Plate.
I'm Having a bit of problems fitting them, All was going fine untill i switched the engine on then after 4-5 seconds they start flickering like mad!
When connected straight over the battery, they are fine or when the engine
aint running.
So i connected a relay in the circuit and took a supply straight from the battery (via a fuse). But now the resistance of the coil must be too high and the D.I.S show's up a lamp fault.

So question really?

I'm i right in saying there is some sort of weird energy saving circuit built into the supply to the headlights? and if so can it be switched off/disabled?

If not i'll have to put the relays in and get resitors to match the resistance of a 55w halogen lamp, i dont really want to do this cause it gets a bit messey.

Help is much appreciated!

Thank Ross

exactly the same thing happened to my mate with his BMW 325. He took it to bmw to have it plugged in, they had to reprogram something to do with the light switch.

I guess something can be sorted with VAG COM. Have a search around these forums and if no joy go check out the BMW forums.

but dont worry, it can definetly be sorted.

Ross it is the same problem with Merc's I bought a set and had the same problem. It's to do with the voltage drop apperently. Yes there is something that can be coded with vag-com.

The alternative is to use a relay like you said.

J.

Hiya mate

The same problem crops up on retro-fitted xenon kits on the MK5 golf..

The problem lies with the fact that your car has the vag-com settings for a halogen equipped car and if you measure the voltage at the headlight plug you will find it to be around 10.6VDC iirc which is fine for a halogen bulb but too low for a HID ballast to maintain a constant arc..

If you change your vag-com setting to 'xenon equipped' the voltage at the plug will increase to 11.5VDC and this will provide the correct voltage for your HID kit..

You may still find you get a bulb failure warning on the DIS though as the HID current draw will be in the region of 35W, much lower than the standard 55W halogens although whether the vag com change will clear this also as the car will then be expecting a lower load on the headlamp circuit?

You can get kits to get around the flickering/bulb warnings on the modern VAG stuff if you don't have vag-com, here's a link to a company that do them, look for 'filter-kits' :icon_thumright:

www.hids4u.co.uk

Steve

D'oh! Just looked and hids4u have stopped selling the filter kits seperately and now bundle them with their own kits...:(

Beddie said:
D'oh! Just looked and hids4u have stopped selling the filter kits seperately and now bundle them with their own kits...:(
Thanks,
Yeah i was just looking my self and couldnt find it. Thought i was incapable for a minute:uhm:
Cheers

Lol sorry about that Ross :)

Just been reading his site and he says he's fed up with selling fixes for other kits so has withdrawn the filter kits and now offers a £75 trade-in against his 'ultimate kit'...

I read that as ' I'm fed up of people buying other people's kits and only buying the £30 'fix' from me, so i'll force them to buy the lot...' :)