Just ordered another new A3

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Very true and the VR6 was rather special at the time. But out of interest I have been given a trade-in value of around 55% of original value for all my A3 1.8T Sport's up to now after usually between 3 and 4 years old. It will be interesting to see what I'm offered for my current A3 when it's time to change for probably another A3, possibly a 2.0 TDI 170.

Again,I'd like to know what you're paying for your new car David.
Are you getting a good deal,or are they giving you a high trade-in value because they're charging over the market odds for your new one ?

I know trading in is less hassle,but I avoid it like the plague.
Not only do you get better offers for your car privately,but nothing beats going into a dealer with no px and cash.

Following on from earlier post about what sort of deal I might get for my existing A3 and that fact that I generally trade-in rather than go through the hassle of selling privately I have just placed an order for a new A3 Sportback 2.0TDI-170 SE DSG. I going for a Sportback because my 88 year old mother is finding it almost impossible to get into my 3-door!

I've traded in my existing 2004 (June) A3 2.0TDI-140 SE DSG for £12,500 - 56% of it's original purchase price. According to a couple of sites I've looked at the current trade-in for mine with 34,000 miles is around £12,100.

I have got 9.4% discount on the new A3 bringing the total cost including all the options and on the road costs down from £25,950 to £23,509

I have also negotiated, with the aid of some web quotes a reduction in the cost of the Audi GAP Insurance from the original quote of £395 down to £225.

Delivery should be late January/early February but I may wait until 1st March as, although mine will have a personal plate, the dealer says the trade-in value in 3 years time will be around £700 more than if it was registered in February.

You decided against waiting for the 1.8TFSI then ?

Three things that are predictable in life;

Death.
Taxes.
Dave R ordering another A3.

;-)

Well, having had a total of 4 A3s so far with each one being a slight improvement of the previous one and all being great to drive and own and very reliable I think it was a foregone conclusion that I would order another. Also I think it's the best car available with my must have feature - the DSG or S-tronic as Audi now call it..

The A3 meets all my current requirements although this time I am going for a Sportback as I am rapidly approaching 60 and most of my friends are of a similar age, for them to get in the back of a 3-door is becoming increasingly difficult. For my poor 88 year old mother, although still very agile for her age, it has become almost impossible, so at least the four doors should help.

As far as colour is concerned I have stuck to Silver for several reasons. I did consider Red but whilst I like the Misano Red it's only available on S-line models and the normal Brilliant Red looks a little dull in comparison. But as it is I happen to like Silver and my last 5 cars (4-A3s and a VR6) have all been Silver. I have had all sorts of colours in the past including Red, Black, White, Maroon, Light Blue, Mustard and Dark Grey. My wife has a silver Polo and we have a matching pair of personal number plates so the cars do look quite nice when parked next to each other on the drive. The same goes for the interior. I now prefer a light coloured interior. Most of my cars in the past have had a black interior but now I much prefer the Light Grey. I suppose I'm getting to be a bit of a stick in the mud now and go for what I like rather that what is fashionable. I've even had the same wife for the last 40 years, which is a little unusual these days.

As far as the full spec goes much of it is the same as my existing A3 with one or two additions:

Audi A3 2.0 TDI-170 - A little poor power than my current 140
SE trim - I prefer the SE to the Sport and like all the packages that come as part of the SE package and now I will get 7.5Jx17 16-spoke alloys with 225/45 tyres as well.
S-tronic (DSG) - of course. Having had one for the past 2.5 years I would not consider a car with one. To me the best option without any doubt.

Colour - Silver metallic with Light Grey cloth interior.

CD Autochanger in the glove box - not into MP3
Acoustic rear parking
Automatic dimming door mirrors
Front Fog Lights
DIS
Luggage Pack - mainly for the 12v boot socket
Non-smoking pack - I don't smoke
Xenon Plus headlights - now it's both beams and Daytime Running Lights
Walnut inlays - goes with my age and also looks good with the Light Grey interior

I know it's probably not the spec most forum members would choose but then I assume most are younger that me and your views do change as you get older. The main thing is that it's another car than I am sure I will enjoy owning and driving well into retirement.

As for the new 1.8TFSI engine, whilst it does sound interesting, I decided I'd prefer the 48-50mpg from the diesel to the 35-37mpg from the 1.8TFSI. My main reason for considering the 1.8TFSI was that would be quieter but the 170 is actually quiter that my existing 140.

Nice spec Dave - I also like the standard SE equipment, but you've added some nice options like Xenons and the front fog lights. And those standard 17s look really nice too!

Nice spec - Xenons are a must if you ask me :)

I wasn't a fan of the sportback but it is growing on me. But I think it has to have those silly silver roof bars for it to look right (do they actually do anything?). My personal opinion of course!

J.

I agree about the roof rails. I thought about having them but my wife thinks they look silly. She was also not convinced that we needed a car with more power than the 140. So in the end we comprised - no roof rails but the 170 engine. I think I got the better option!

I think the roof rails look silly.
They remind me of spoilers on family saloons.
Both are tack on gimmicks to make it look like something they're not.

I have the rails on a silver SB - go for them Dave, look excellent on a silver car with big alloys, really finishes the car off.

From articles I have read, those with rails are more in demand than without on the used market presumably due to appearance.

The thought that Bowfer thinks they look silly has almost convinced to to add them to my order !

cdb2 - do you have any pictures of your Silver SB with the rails.

Dave - I may have some pics at home of silver SB's with rails I can send you, usually a few on the Audi used car site. If I don't I'll take some of mine and send them to you at the weekend. PM me your email address.

Xenon plus - daytime running lights and both beams??? What are daytime running lights and when you say both beams you mean it has 4 xenon bulbs 2 in headlights and 2 in main beams?

This is the description of the Xenon Plus headlight system fitted to Audis from the Glossary on the Audi UK site:

The xenon plus system offers all the xenon advantages on the high-beam as well. When the driver switches high beam or back to low beam, an electromagnet is energised. Depending on the type, this either repositions a gate in unison with an ellipsoidal reflector, or pivots the xenon arc assembly. The xenon arc permits dispersion of the high beam and combines very great range with very broad lateral illumination. The supplemental high beam halogen spotlight functions as a headlight flasher and further optimises the beam’s throw.

The new S3 and the new TT are equipped with Daytime Running Lights rather than the extra halogen spotlight in the second unit in the headlights. These consist of a 21w normal longlife bulb and the can be programmed to be on whenever the engine is running, thus providing Daytime Running Lights. These DRLs are now recommended in most countries in Europe as research has shown that they do reduce accidents where people do not see a car. Of the countries I visit with my car they are still only recommended in France and Germany but are required by law in Austria. I understand they will be required by law in all EU countries by 2010 at the latest. It means you can drive with the DRLs on without having to have dipped headlights or any rear lights on during daytime.

Whilst I was with the salesman ordering my car he telephone a contact in Audi Technical who confirmed than my new Sportback would be fitted with the DRL system.

h5djr said:
The thought that Bowfer thinks they look silly has almost convinced to to add them to my order !

Well,if I have that effect on you....

I think DSG is SUUUUUPEEEERB !

I know the DSG is Superb, I done need you to tell me !

Would never even consider ordering one without.

I shall miss you bowfer when you go all BMWish - sorry even more BMWish.

It a shame you have to wait for a few more months yet. The one big advatage of buying your own car - at least if you think you've made a mistake you can always change it when you want to and not when someone else will let you.

h5djr said:
.....CD Autochanger in the glove box - not into MP3...
Isn't it cheaper to get the Symphony system ?
(and it frees up the glovebox too).

One things for sure David,I'll examine the competition fully.
If admitting other cars are better makes me BMW-ish (even though I'm considering a Ford S-max) then so be it.
Better is better,no matter what the make.

bowfer said:
One things for sure David,I'll examine the competition fully.
If admitting other cars are better makes me BMW-ish (even though I'm considering a Ford S-max) then so be it.
Better is better,no matter what the make.

Bowfer, DSG discussions aside I always thought you had taste. Ford S-Max?, you have got to be pulling our legs.

Ow'do Japper ?!
No,I like the styling and I enjoyed the drive.
If we add to the family,as we're trying to do now,it might be a valid choice.
I'm fickle though,I'll have changed my mind half a dozen times by then !

I like the look of the new Honda CRV too.
It gets very favourable reports.

As you can tell,I'm erring away from normal cars for my next choice.
I dunno,I just fancy something 'different'.

I think I've been bored into submission !

Mini's aren't my cup of tea,but I'm willing to accept they drive better than an A3.
So do S-max's,believe me.

bowfer said:
Ow'do Japper ?!
No,I like the styling and I enjoyed the drive.
If we add to the family,as we're trying to do now,it might be a valid choice.
I'm fickle though,I'll have changed my mind half a dozen times by then !

I like the look of the new Honda CRV too.
It gets very favourable reports.

As you can tell,I'm erring away from normal cars for my next choice.
I dunno,I just fancy something 'different'.

I think I've been bored into submission !

Mini's aren't my cup of tea,but I'm willing to accept they drive better than an A3.
So do S-max's,believe me.

Styling of all new fords i have a problem with. They have gone back to chav status, but then so has the new S3 ( runs and ducks for cover )

On a seperate note, and apologies for not being on here much but my new toy MCS is fantastic, especially when modded :)

Happy xmas to all if I don't get chance to post again.

I quite often look at the 'opposition'. One of the advantages of being semi-retired and only working 2 days a week it that it gives gives plenty of time and I frequently visit showrooms of other makes and even sometimes have a test drive but so far I've not found anything that meets my requirements that I like or that I think is up to the same quality and finish as an Audi or that holds it's value as well. More important when I'm paying for my own car.

I've recently tried a BMW 1 series (I prefer a hatchback so the 3 series is out anyway) and a Mercedes C class coupe. Some good friends have a Honda Civic and been out in that quite a few times. I've looked at VWs, I had a Toyota for a week as I hire car. I tried a Ford Focus a few months ago and I drove a hired Astra at work some weeks ago. Another friend has a Porsche Boxter and I've been out in that and whilst it's a nice car even he admits its not very practical and theres no way he could take it on holiday. I've not tried a Rolls Royce or a Bentley or a Ferrari but I think they might be a little too expensive!

So I'm not blind to the opposition - I just happen to think that the A3 is the best car for me.

I may even get the chance to drive different Audis soon as the salesman at my dealers said he was looking for guys who could deliver new cars to different parts of the country and even to Scotland as he seems to do quite a lot of business up that way and would I be interested. Needless to say I said Yes. Watch this space !

Isn't it cheaper to get the Symphony system ?
(and it frees up the glovebox too).

2 reasons for choosing the Concert III - 1) I prefer the look of the Concert III and 2) It frees up more space in the centre console and I use it store the glasses I use for driving.

Err, the new Chorus and Concert are now double-din units like the Symphony and RNS-E so you won't get any extra space in the centre console binnacle thing.

As mfspen said, if you want the CD changer you're probably better off going for the Symphony III and freeing up the glovebox.

You are correct Sir. I have just had a look at the Audi UK site and went through the Car Configurator and it's changed since I looked a few weeks ago. As you say the Concert is now a double DIN unit as well so it would make more sense to order it with the Symphony. It's also slightly cheaper - £265 as opposed to £320. A phone call to the dealer is required I think. Thanks for pointing that out.

The Symphony III will also now play MP3 CDs whilst I'm not sure the external changer will so that's another advantage. I know you said you're not into MP3s but with a PC, CD burner and some free software you can easily cram 10 times the number of tracks onto each disc so it's worth looking into.

Vertigo1 said:
Err, the new Chorus and Concert are now double-din units like the Symphony and RNS-E so you won't get any extra space in the centre console binnacle thing.

As mfspen said, if you want the CD changer you're probably better off going for the Symphony III and freeing up the glovebox.
That sounds like great news. It might save me money by not having to spec the Symphony III in order to retro-fit the RNS-E.

Provided of course that the wiring for the Concert III will be the same as the Symphony III ....anybody know?

From what I've heard, the Chorus has passive speakers whilst the Concert and Symphony use active ones so if you're looking to replace it with an RNS-E then go for the Concert rather than the Chorus.

Not sure if the wiring is the same but I can't see it being much different as it's surely in Audi's interests to make all the unit the same.

Vertigo1 said:
From what I've heard, the Chorus has passive speakers whilst the Concert and Symphony use active ones so if you're looking to replace it with an RNS-E then go for the Concert rather than the Chorus.

Not sure if the wiring is the same but I can't see it being much different as it's surely in Audi's interests to make all the unit the same.
Thanks for that.

I'm looking to spec the BOSE anyway, so hopefully I will be covered on the speakers angle?

I'd have thought so but don't take my word for it. I'd ask over on navplus as you'll get a definitely answer there.

Yep, these new units have already been discussed on www.navplus.us and the feeling is that the RNS-E will go in with a modified version of the current www.kufatec.de adapters. Don't think anyone has actually done the retrofit yet though, but by the time you get the new car someone will probably have done it!

h5djr said:
As you say the Concert is now a double DIN unit as well so it would make more sense to order it with the Symphony. It's also slightly cheaper - £265 as opposed to £320. A phone call to the dealer is required I think. Thanks for pointing that out.

Ive had the Symphony 2 in my last three A3's, for the price its a nice piece of kit and worth the money...

benw123 said:
Yep, these new units have already been discussed on www.navplus.us and the feeling is that the RNS-E will go in with a modified version of the current www.kufatec.de adapters. Don't think anyone has actually done the retrofit yet though, but by the time you get the new car someone will probably have done it!
...but does the Concert III set-up have the Diversity Antenna like the Symphony II/III?

cdb2 said:
I have the rails on a silver SB - go for them Dave, look excellent on a silver car with big alloys, really finishes the car off.

From articles I have read, those with rails are more in demand than without on the used market presumably due to appearance.

My neighbours have recently acquired a Sportback very similar to mine (same bloomin colour!) but it has the S-line pack and roofbars whereas I opted for Open Sky + options (see signature). I have to confess, theirs looks significantly better even though mine probably cost more :(

Other neighbour has just invested in a DB9 ... maybe I'll copy that.

...but does the Concert III set-up have the Diversity Antenna like the Symphony II/III?

Not according to the specification for both units on the Audi Germany web-site.

h5djr said:
Not according to the specification for both units on the Audi Germany web-site.
So, is this a good reason to spec the Symphony III and not the Concert III if you are looking to retro-fit the RNS-E?

Not really, but I am not going to have a RNS-E. I prefer my current PDA + navigation software + camera database setup. It's much more flexible than the RNS-E.