pirelli pzero or goodyear f1

khalil

Reaction score
pirelli pzero or goodyear f1 which is better, the size 225 40 18, also if i upgrade my alloys from 17 to 18, what difference is it to the ride

I'd go with the F1's, the Pirelli's are softer so technically better in the dry, but the F1's are the best compromise between grip & wear and certainly cheaper as well, should be able to get 225/40/18's for around £110 a corner if you shop around. Top tip, use Black Circles to get a "fitted" quote then find out who they would use locally to fit them and then call the local place direct and save another 10-15%.

I've got both pirelli's (VR6) and goodyears (S3). Goodyears do have the edge in the wet/wear but the pirelli's are comfortably better in every other area.

leecs3 said:
I've got both pirelli's (VR6) and goodyears (S3). Goodyears do have the edge in the wet/wear but the pirelli's are comfortably better in every other area.

Do you think so? I hated the relli's ono my A3. They where ok in the dry but awful in the wet. The F1's appear to have stiffer side walls, well I'm assuming they do, as the turn in is a lot cripser on the F1's, the handling's nice and progressive.

Actually I have had them fitted to just about all my cars in one guise or a nother for years FWD, RWD, AWD. I do find them quite sensitive to tyre pressures thugh and always seem to run them higher than the standard factory pressures.

J.

I had the F1's on my Focus and also have them on my XR (they cost more than the car !) I cannot fault them and would deffo reccomend them.

I had them (GSD3) on my Lexus and and will replace these Rellis on the A3 with them

F1s generally get the best reviews wherever you look, but like the P-Zeros they are pricey.

My Sportback was delivered with Bridgestone Potenza RE040s new which might be worth a look if you're looking to save money - hard wearing, fairly quiet and decent traction.

As for ride, expect an upgrade to 18s to be a little more harsh and bit noisier but it shouldn't be too bad, because 18s are an option on all models. So whatever model you have it should cope fine.

I've got the Eagle F1 GSD3's on my Ibiza FR, and they are by far the best tyre I've had, so certainly get the thumbs up from me! I'll be fitting them to the A3 as soon as I munch through the standard-fit rubber (whatever that turns out to be). The F1's seem to grip really well in all conditions, and in the wet I've never felt tyres that grippy before.

I have Pirellis but will change to F1's if I keep the car long enough. The F1's are superb. Wet weather grip is just astounding.....

Another fan of F1's here.
The only thing I can fault them on is traction (accelerating) grip in the wet.
They do spin more readily than the Continentals I had before.
Braking grip,lateral grip and handling (wet or dry) is fantastic though.
I was £107 per tyre (18's).

"F1s generally get the best reviews wherever you look, but like the P-Zeros they are pricey."
Don't know where you're buying your tyres but I found F1's are surprisingly cheap £107 fitted for 225/40/18's. Doubt you'll get anything radically cheaper than that for that size. On the TDi they were £65 fitted for 205/50/16's. But you do have to shop around i.e. never go to any of the high street franchises.

Even though my employer pays for my tyres,I still try to get the best deal.
I thought £107 each was pretty damned good for F1's too.
I expected 18" tyres to be dearer than that.

I'd go for the F1's, I have the 225/40/18s. Really good. It might be worthwhile having a look at a site called mytyres.co.uk. I've seen them advertised for £97 a corner delivered.

Which tyres would be the quietest? I have the factory fittes Conties at the moment, but it won't be long before they need to be replaced. I find the roadnoise is too loud and wonder if different tyres would make a significant difference.

F1's are quieter than the Contis'on most surfaces.
The Conti's made an incredible racket really.
God knows why they were chosen as OE.

Actually,we all know the answer to that.
They'll have been the lowest bidders.

bowfer said:
F1's are quieter than the Contis'on most surfaces.
The Conti's made an incredible racket really.
God knows why they were chosen as OE.

Actually,we all know the answer to that.
They'll have been the lowest bidders.
Interesting.

My old 2.0TDI Sportback Sport had Dunlops, which were horrifically noisy, on any surface.

My current 2.0T S-Line 3-door has Contis, and these are very quiet.

F1's every time, I'll be doing a back to front soon so I need a full set to reaplce the Conti's.

I've just ordered two for the Golf, grip aside I also like the looks ...

2006_0507Image0004Small.jpg

SteveTDCi said:
I've just ordered two for the Golf, grip aside I also like the looks ...

2006_0507Image0004Small.jpg

They are the old F1GSD2 the new ones look even better.

You can see the GSD3 as fitted to mt T4.
Volvo2.jpg

Have the fitted to the Audi too but dont have a pic of that.

so are the f1s much quiter than the perriellis,and better in genaral, theres one thing i cant understand that is why the big companys like audi / porsche etc use perrilli????

Eagle F1s are the only tyre Audi use for the Q7.

Normally car manufacturers will use several different companies for tyres so they can get the best prices possible. How well the tyre performs is second to the price when they make cars.