First Service - can I expect the car to be valetted?

benw123

Reaction score
My Sportback is booked in for its first AVS service at Huntingdon next week. As I've got to drive up from Herts, I said to the Service Manager that I would be happy to wait around while the car is being serviced, however long it takes.

Question is, do Audi dealers valet customer's cars? I haven't had time to clean the Sportback recently so I'll leave it dirty to see what happens next week, but I'm just wondering whether or not I can expect it to be cleaned.

I wouldn't worry too much - when my car's been "valeted" - an underpaid non-too-bright pimply 17 year old, has smeared the muck around a bit with a dirty rag. Wash it yerself if you value your paintwork...

dont let em near it, but then if you can't be ***** to wash it, you probably could not care less, so let them.

Interesting comments. I do actually care about the paintwork a lot, it's just that as a new Dad finding time to wash it - let alone detail the thing - is virtually impossible right now.

The two Fords I previously owned from new were usually cleaned at the Ford dealer, and because of time contraints were jetwashed which meant less chance of the cars being scratched. At least they came back clean!

I take it back - i did not mean it to be so blunt. I let the dealer clean the inside of my car and thats it

yeah they should valet it, I dont have any complaints about the quality of their work except the fact that they allways muck about with the steering wheel and seat position

Huntingdon Audi do wash and hoover your car after a service. They have 2 marquees next to the showroom where they clean them. I take great care over the paint work on my car and I have to say that they seem to do the same.

My view is if u like your car don't let them near it.

Have seen the Eastern Europeans doing them at a dealer - thing like a mop dipped in a bucket, when they don't need the mop it is on the ground, when they are chatting the mop head rests on the ground thus picking up all the nice grit.

The guy who preps the cars for delivery is not the same guy who does the service wash!

I specifically ask them NOT to touch it inside or out.

You may find a good dealer but they seem few and far between.

Yes benw123, Huntingdon Audi always wash and vacuum a car as part of any service. The only time they have not done so is when it's been in for a minor item and I have decided to wait. Even then they have always asked if I would like to wait a little longer whilst they wash and vacuum the car. They seem to make a good job of it as well in my experience.

All Audi dealers should do this as part of their service to customers. They even say they will in the Audi price list - "When your car comes to our workshop, we will wash and vacuum it at no extra cost". So if you would rather they didn't, you should say so when you take the car in to them.

cdb2 said:
Have seen the Eastern Europeans doing them at a dealer....

Eatern European guys do my car at least 3 times a month and they take a lot of pride in their work, which is why I go to them.

The only dealers I have used are Bexley and Victoria Audi in London and have no complaints over their valeting. IMO there should be no problems with dealers valeting your car.

h5djr said:
Yes benw123, Huntingdon Audi always wash and vacuum a car as part of any service. The only time they have not done so is when it's been in for a minor item and I have decided to wait. Even then they have always asked if I would like to wait a little longer whilst they wash and vacuum the car. They seem to make a good job of it as well in my experience.

All Audi dealers should do this as part of their service to customers. They even say they will in the Audi price list - "When your car comes to our workshop, we will wash and vacuum it at no extra cost". So if you would rather they didn't, you should say so when you take the car in to them.
Thanks Dave - that last quote from the Audi price list has jogged my memory actually. You're right, they do promise a valet which I could really use right now!
DSGSport said:
Huntingdon Audi do wash and hoover your car after a service. They have 2 marquees next to the showroom where they clean them. I take great care over the paint work on my car and I have to say that they seem to do the same.
I'm liking all the positive praise for Huntingdon! Not only are they miles cheaper than anyone in Herts, but I've yet to read any complaints. Will of course post back feedback next weekend.
d3fy said:
I take it back - i did not mean it to be so blunt. I let the dealer clean the inside of my car and thats it
That's okay - my regular wash/wax routine has been disrupted thanks to the little guy! Hope to get back to it soon.

silver75 said:
Eatern European guys do my car at least 3 times a month and they take a lot of pride in their work, which is why I go to them.

The only dealers I have used are Bexley and Victoria Audi in London and have no complaints over their valeting. IMO there should be no problems with dealers valeting your car.

I think the point here is the difference between a service wash and a valet.

Some dealers may do a full valet after a service if the valet guy is not busy or they do a full valet as a matter of course after a service. Others have a valet guy who does the new car prep etc and then some other guys - I've seen youngsters and Eastern Europeans who didn't have a great command of English, just doing basic washing and post service washes. These are the ones I have seen with a mop they rest on the ground which they then apply to your paintwork.

If you work to keep swirls to a minimum yourself, depends if you trust others to take the same care. At some dealers you will be ok, at others you won't.

cdb2 said:
Good point. Despite my original question about a valet, it's true that my experience with post-service cleaning in the past has always involved simply jet-washing the car and someone using window cleaner afterwards. As you say, a valet is really something different, geared more towards vehicle preparation when appearance is everything.

I used to work for an IT consultancy that supplied computer systems to dealer groups, and most of the large chains employed full-time valetters on-site who had did everything from wiping the dew off the cars in the morning to full display vehicle prep. In between they would also do service washes, but again this was usually a jet-wash.

Will just have to turn up and see what happens this week! :)

My car is always washed and hoovered,even if it's in for something small.
I did,once,specifically ask that they didn't wash it though,as I had just waxed it the day before and I didn't want their shampoo stripping it off.

cdb2 said:

Some dealers may do a full valet after a service if the valet guy is not busy or they do a full valet as a matter of course after a service. Others have a valet guy who does the new car prep etc and then some other guys - I've seen youngsters and Eastern Europeans who didn't have a great command of English, just doing basic washing and post service washes. These are the ones I have seen with a mop they rest on the ground which they then apply to your paintwork.

If you work to keep swirls to a minimum yourself, depends if you trust others to take the same care. At some dealers you will be ok, at others you won't.

fair enough

I've let my dealer wash mine in the past but they're obviously using one of those hose/brush combo things which is leaving god-awful swirlmarks in the paint.

The damage is done now so I don't much care but when the new one turns up in December they aren't going anywhere near it and if they do after I've told them not to then the service manager will be getting a right earful.

On a related note, I was planning to give the new car a full wash/polish job as soon as I get it with some decent stuff such as Meguiars. Would others recommend this to protect it as much as possible?

Vertigo1 said:
On a related note, I was planning to give the new car a full wash/polish job as soon as I get it with some decent stuff such as Meguiars. Would others recommend this to protect it as much as possible?

I can heartily recommend what Married Blonde recommended for my wife's new car ( black metallic ).

Clean the paint with Meguires Crystal paint cleaner,then wax the car with Collinite 476S.

http://www.colliniteautomotive.com/products.htm#super476s

I used to use Meguires wax/polish,but it isn't a patch on the Collinite.

My friend did his S reg Alfa 156 at the same time.
Both cars came out looking superb.
Real liquid-like depth to the paint,that I've never seen before.

The Collinite lasts like you wouldn't believe either.
I reckon two waxes per years really would be enough,although you're welcome to do more if you wish.

For week to week cleaning of the car,I just wash it with Meguires shampoo (doesn't strip the wax),dry it with a chamois then buff it with an autoglym microfibre cloth.

Comes up looking like it's just been waxed,every time.

I never let them clean it - just don't trust s snotty nosed 17 year old with a clapped out XR2 washing my car with something that has closer resemblance to sandpaper than a decent clean sponge!

Had my Sportback serviced this morning (click here to read more about it) and sure enough, Vindis Huntingdon cleaned it for me. As suggested by others in this thread, it was indeed jetwashed and hoovered, but they also used glass cleaner which really made a difference. And no damage or scratches either!

bowfer said:
I can heartily recommend what Married Blonde recommended for my wife's new car ( black metallic ).

Clean the paint with Meguires Crystal paint cleaner,then wax the car with Collinite 476S.

http://www.colliniteautomotive.com/products.htm#super476s

I used to use Meguires wax/polish,but it isn't a patch on the Collinite.

My friend did his S reg Alfa 156 at the same time.
Both cars came out looking superb.
Real liquid-like depth to the paint,that I've never seen before.

The Collinite lasts like you wouldn't believe either.
I reckon two waxes per years really would be enough,although you're welcome to do more if you wish.

For week to week cleaning of the car,I just wash it with Meguires shampoo (doesn't strip the wax),dry it with a chamois then buff it with an autoglym microfibre cloth.

Comes up looking like it's just been waxed,every time.

The collinite wax is brilliant stuff for those that would rather not spend thier lifes waxing cars. I love cleaning my car but use the collinite over winter as it lasts and means I only have to stand out side in the freezing cold washing them off. Plus it obvioulsy gives a bit of protection for the paint.

The best bit is it isn't that hard to apply and buff off.

For best results use the Megs paint cleaner first to strip off any existing wax etc.

For washing the megs shampoo's are pretty good, I use the nxt wash or johnson and johnson baby shampoo as neither strip off the wax.

J.

Do they not need to clean it to be able to then inspect the cars paint/body work (for warranty maybe?) when they are doing the inspection checklist part of the service? Not had my car serviced yet so don't know if there is a related item but just a suggestion.

Bowfer, what cloth would you recommend for applying and then buffing off the Collinite stuff?

A3_TOBES said:
Do they not need to clean it to be able to then inspect the cars paint/body work (for warranty maybe?) when they are doing the inspection checklist part of the service? Not had my car serviced yet so don't know if there is a related item but just a suggestion.
No, they did a bodywork inspection before the service to agree any damage. But I suppose if your car really is filthy and is covering up any damage, it might be a problem. Maybe they'd even clean it beforehand?

benw123 said:
No, they did a bodywork inspection before the service to agree any damage. But I suppose if your car really is filthy and is covering up any damage, it might be a problem. Maybe they'd even clean it beforehand?

Ben, is the check just for mainitaing the warranty Ben or to confirm any damage already there before the service to avoid the customer blaming the Garage ?

If its just for avoiding blame then I wonder if all dealerships do this?

IMO its quite a good thing for both parties.

Vertigo1 said:
Bowfer, what cloth would you recommend for applying and then buffing off the Collinite stuff?

To aply the stuff use one of those foam applicators. To buff off use a micrfibre cloth. You can get them from halfords if you only going to buy in small numbers.

J.

I purchased a full meguiars kit and a meguiars microfibre cloth off of ebay for half the price of the usual car shops. came with gold class wash , wax, tyre cleaner, applicator pads for the wax and a polishing cloth along with other bits and a glass cleaning plastic wiper blade thing.
Cloth is fantastic and even goes in the washing machine afterwards

A3_TOBES said:
Ben, is the check just for mainitaing the warranty Ben or to confirm any damage already there before the service to avoid the customer blaming the Garage ?
Precisely the latter - the service guy Simon told me of a story where a woman brought in her car for service, and when checking the car she begged the service employee not to mark down a scratch on the rear bumper which she'd caused because she didn't want her husband to find out. Later, the husband saw the damage and insisted the dealer had caused it, which eventually they had to fix ...

As you say, it's there to protect everyone. I've had similar experiences at a Ford dealer in the past too, suggesting it's common practice. However, it pays to be remain alert and check the car yourself before driving it away, because if the dealer does cause any damage, I'm not sure what the odds would be that they'd come straight out and own up!

marriedblonde said:
To aply the stuff use one of those foam applicators. To buff off use a micrfibre cloth. You can get them from halfords if you only going to buy in small numbers.

J.

Yeah,I use a Meguires foam pad to apply,then an Autoglym microfibre cloth to remove.
Trouble is,Autoglym want £5+ for their cloths.

I noticed my local Tesco had (blue) microfibre cloths for £1.50 each the other week though,so I bought a few.

Haven't tried them on the outside yet,but they work great on windows and interiors.

With the cheaper ones just check the edging isn't hard as this can mark the paint work. I've got loads of the cheaper ones for the windows, interior wheels etc and they are brilliant.

J.