a3 170tdi quattro

davieb3

Reaction score
Hi guys

More advice wanted
still unsure which route to go down with buying an A3
S3 is really tempting but price with extras nearly puts it at £30k for me and also buying a car which i havnt driven - although im sure it will be great!

How would the A3 170tdi compare in Mid range performance to the A3 2.0T,
i know 0-60 it wouldnt compete but mid range is better at gaging real performance.

Ive never struggled so much in choosing which model to buy when changing cars

if u dont care how much petrol spend take the 2.0T

in my opinion nowadays the a3 170tdi has a more valuable price after a few years.

Have you considered buy it with DSG? :)

Get a 2.0T fsi Quattro special edition and a remap for ane extra £500. The xtra 15bhp the S3 has really isnt worth an extra 8 - 10k of anyones money.

thanks
i dont really want to go the remap route but in fairness i dont think there would be much in performance between my R32 and A3 2.0t quattro? esp in Mid range

hence why i think the 170tdi would feel plenty quick enough between 30mph to 80mph, with the extra torque the engine delivers.

Im not sure the S3 justifies the extra £6-7k price tag but it does offer exclusivity over the other cars in A3 range

I would expect the 170 to be a little way behind the S3 in the midrange performance stakes - Audi wouldn't launch a flagship car that could be undone by a more common seller.

However, as co55ie suggested, a remap would certainly sort that out, made even more mouthwatering if you had the quattro version. That way, you could get all 300 lb/ft through the wheels with ease and just fly.

davieb3 said:
thanks
i dont really want to go the remap route but in fairness i dont think there would be much in performance between my R32 and A3 2.0t quattro? esp in Mid range

hence why i think the 170tdi would feel plenty quick enough between 30mph to 80mph, with the extra torque the engine delivers.

Im not sure the S3 justifies the extra £6-7k price tag but it does offer exclusivity over the other cars in A3 range

I think the 2.0T is pretty much a match for the 3.2 mid range wise.

Not sure why you are put off by remapping a car mine was done through my local Audi dealer when it had covered 1500 miles without any impact to the warranty. The fuel economy has improved and the car is now more than a match for the 3.2 engined vehicles and also far better to drive in general than in its standard form. It is now what I would deem as quite a quick car and the quattro now makes far more sense.

If fuel economy is your main priority then get a diesel if you want a bit more fun then the 2.0t is a decent performing and economical unit with scope for almost S3 rivallling performance at a later date if you get bored for £500.

If audi dealer would arrange the remap then i would certainly consider this route, which Tuner does Audi apporove is it MTM or Oetinger without effecting the warranty?

Mine was remapped through Wayside in Milton Keynes who use AMD I believe.

It seems like many of the dealers are starting to offer this kind of service both my local ones do.

Anyway worth thinking about.

Audi don't approve any tuner, the dealers do the deals and support them through warranty without disclosing it to Audi. Revo have several deals with dealers, but we don't claim they're Audi approved.

Definitely if you are looking for the most for your money and don't care about which fuel you use go for the 2.0T Special Edition. Free leather is not to be sniffed at.. er... well... I like sniffing it when I get in the car anyway :D

Mid-range torque is very flat on the FSi Turbo - you get good torque at about 2300 revs and its almost constant up to 6000rpm, almost no drop-off, no turbo lag. This makes it a very flexible car. It's definitely the best turbo engine I've driven for sheer ease of use.

davieb3 said:
thanks

There was a rolling road shootout a while back now between a 3.2 A3 and an older S3 (8L type) that was chipped to 265? bhp, the chipped S3 had an immense midrange compared to the 3.2 when the the graphs were compared.
The 2.0T chipped has even more midrange than the old S3, I suspect a chipped 2.0T would be a far quicker car than an R32 or A3 3.2

johnmv55 said:
I suspect a chipped 2.0T would be a far quicker car than an R32 or A3 3.2

I have had a play against the new shape R32 from 30mph to about 70 mph and immediately was able to pull away from it and yes he was trying :biggrin:

thanks guys for the info - sounds very tempting to get 2.0t chipped

To get into a A3, i need to sell my car private to get fair price and also be able to shop around for the best deal on A3 using Drivethedeal or Broadspeed.