A3 TSB 0501 - DSG delay when accelerating

alfiejts

Reaction score
Does anyone know the content of the Audi Technical Service bulletin #0501 issued on 19/12/2005?

The summary is "DSG gearbox experiences momentary delay when accelerating".

I've had my 2.0TDI S-Line for a week now. I think its absolutely great. The only problem I've already had - on several occasions - is when I pull up to a roundabout slowly and then want to pull away sharply, the car doesn't react for a full second, but then pulls away like sh1t off a shovel, spinning the wheels.

There have been times when I've sat there with a car heading towards me and the car going nowhere. Its very disconcerting.

This sounds like what the bulletin is all about but before I go pestering my dealer, I'd appreciate some feedback from other owners...

Yup, happens to mine. There was a massive thread on this a while back. Seems loads of people have experienced this. When it ****** me off too much I stick it in manual. Seems to help a bit.

I wish there was a service/repair bulletin for the DSG delay,but I haven't heard of it in my 18 months of DSG induced "COOOOOOME OOOOOOON!!!",heart in mouth moments.

I tell you something else.The delay gets worse with age.My cars at 17500 miles and it's getting so bad that my wife notices now.She shouted at me to get a move on away from a junction the other day.Little did she know my foot was hard to the floor...

Yes,'manual' (cough...) mode does improve matters,but only slightly.
It's like saying being shot in the thigh hurts slightly less than being shot in the knee.

The other thing I'm afraid to report is that,if it's bugging you after only a week,it'll probably only bug you more and more as time progresses.

So does anyone know if this service bulletin exists ?
If it does,I'm going to book my car in right away.
I've avoided mentioning the delay to the dealer,as I expected the inevitable "they all do that sir" response.
If Audi have acknowledged it as a fault,I will take advantage of it.

I had this problem on my A6 multitronic, a real pain in the ar*e.
You get to a roundabout, the box shifts in to 6th, then you try and accelerate away and wait for an age while it shifts back down to 2nd, being left in in no mans land before being hurtled forwards - passengers hated it more than me as they end up feeling sea sick if you try and crack on a bit.:keule:

I was in the dealer's today having the airbag failure fixed (the usual under-seat wiring fix....)

Anyway, I asked about the lack of response issue and the TSB.

Assuming that I wasn't sold a line, the TSB doesn't actually provide any solution, it is merely a bulletin telling the dealers that there isn't anything they can do - its a feature!

Dealer said there was a software upgrade for older models but nothing he could do to mine (it already had latest software). Maybe something would be developed in the future but for now I'd just have to live with it....

That said - he didn't actually check any reference info - this was all "off the top of his head", which does give me some cause for doubt....

Anyway - that's my very first week of Audi ownership over. My Alfa went off to a new home yesterday, so a new life starts....

Latest crisis is over a name - No issue over my past two Alfas - both affectionately called "Alfie".

Local Audi dealer wasn't impressed when I walked in this morning and said "I've brought Trevor in to see you....". "Trevor who?", she said. "Trevor the Tractor" I said - that's what my wife's christened him because he sounds like a tractor!

BTW,my contact at the local dealer (actually ex-girlfriend of one of my mates) did a bit of 'unofficial asking around' and claims they've never heard of this service bulletin.
Of course,it could be an Audi smokescreen to avoid every DSG owner in the land taking their car in for a fix !