Bird s$%£

bacardi

Reaction score
Website
none
Hi Folks,

Washed the car over the weekend and noticed that no matter how quick I clean bird mess off of it it always appears to stain underneath - has anyone got any suggestions on how to remove?

I must say, the Missus Toyota which is also black seems to have much hardier paint on it

I agree with DPM, I building a layer of wax on mine with this double coat wax. Seems to be working so far.

Bird droppings are very acidic, and even with good levels of wax (its helps of course) you will still experiance etching on paint. Older cars had lead based paints that are more resistant, but all new cars use water based paints that dont quite stand up to wear and tear so well.

To remove the stain as best as possible, first clean the area with a lube and clay bar, and then use a light polish, or something like scratch X. With a few passes you should be able to remove most of the etching. Then apply some wax and away you go.

Be careful with the scratch X as it can cause clouding in the paint - it's quite abreasive, you'll need a decent polish to restore the shine!

J.

please don't get me started on this.... the quality of Audi paint is appauling - bird muck only has to be on the paint for 30 minutes or so and the paint is damaged. I have tried alsorts of polish and waxes on my car and none seem to help in any way. my folks car of similar age but is renault is imperveous to any form of marking from bird muck - leave it on the paint for months wipe off no mark at all.

i spoke to audi about this ages ago but they refuse to admit theire paint is poor so you have no chance of getting anywhere there.... all i can say is get used to being on edge with your car in relation to bird droppings and have plenty of scratch-X in your house ready for when theres a lovely big stain on your bonnet and enjoy the hour long polishing session that follows - each and every time.

Readin this thread - is it worth getting one of the commercial finishes like Supagard on a new car? If so, anyone have recommendations?

had a big mark on mine after ,polish,glaze and wax,this weekend,and it realy showed on the bonnet in the sun,tried some megs crystal paint cleaner,and it did the job.

I agree, certainly black appears to be the worst colour, at least for actually noticing any birdydoodoo stains.

My previous car was a black Peugeot and that had several noticable stains in the paint which I couldn't get shot of.

Personally I think the paint on my A3 is quite a bit better than the Peugeot paint. I had the Autoglym lifeshine on mine, and so far have not had any problems removing poo and buffing up to a nice shine.

My Sportback is black and agree with these posts - lots of wax and generally just being quick to get the muck off. Even if you have a get a wet sponge to it and don't have time to wash the rest of the car, it does help the paint.

Like marriedblonde said about Scratch X, I've used T-Cut on the nearside front passenger door to remove a scuff and the paint has clouded a bit, although it's only noticeable in direct sunlight. So more polish clears the clouding effect?

I used Meguiar's Step 1 Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner first and that removed all the marks left by bird poo on the paint. I then used the step 2 and 3 waxes and so far bird poo hasnt stained again at all yet(was done about a month ago).

Ben - pretty much any polish will help to get rid of the clouding, if you have access to any of the poorboys range like SSR1 these are easier to remove the clouding!

Dandle - The megs stage 1 is chemical only only, non abrasive, so it wont remove an acid stain in the paint. If it has only etch through the wax it'll remove that mark!

J.

what do you feed your birds? my black paint can stand heaps of the nasty stuff never altered colour/shine in anyway .

I check mine every day, dont intend to leave the damn stuff on there any longer than is necessary. As the summer goes on the the birds feast on berries and other fruit the acidity of the sh*te increases and becomes even more damaging ............

A red hot bonnet doesn't help either.

Megs Body Scrub (think it is like Stage 1) worked well at removing the stain on friend's Clio.

Best way to get bird poo off is to make a really wet mungee from kitchen rool and sit that on it until the poo glides off. Never rub poo off.

I keep kitchen roll and a bottle of water in the car boot.

thanks guys - i've borrowed some of my mates Meg's polish kit and have still got some stain on it,

will take it back to audi to ask their opinion, as the last one had only been on there for around an hour - surely that can't be right!

marriedblonde said:
Ben - pretty much any polish will help to get rid of the clouding, if you have access to any of the poorboys range like SSR1 these are easier to remove the clouding!
Excellent - thanks for the tip. I use Autoglym Super Resin so will spend some more time with that!

marriedblonde said:
Dandle - The megs stage 1 is chemical only only, non abrasive, so it wont remove an acid stain in the paint. If it has only etch through the wax it'll remove that mark!

J.

Oh right, didnt know that but it did get rid of a few marks that wouldnt budge no matter how much it was washed. Luckily they were the only ones i had then.