Fitting A4 alloys to an A3 8P

benw123

Reaction score
Just wondering if the wheels from an A4 (2001 on model) will fit properly on to an A3 8P. I know the stud pattern is the same (112), but the offset on the 17" wheels seems a touch too low (35) and they usually come with 235-section tyres.

What would happen if they were fitted to an A3? Would they stand proud of the arches, and would there be any rubbing? Any assistance/thoughts would be appreciated.

Have you seen the cheap set on Fleebay by any chance....?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

35mm offset will cause you problems with rubbing. I've got 42mm off set on mine and looking at the tyres I am getting rubbing on one of the rears (the side I sit so I'm thinking I must be a heavy mofo!)

Others on here have had problems with 45mm offsets rubbing on the front. also I think a 35mm offset would stand proud of the body work. It's pretty close with my 42's

J.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Bingo! Mind reader! Click here to have a look

You often see these kind of sets available, where the wheels need a refurb and the tyres are shot. This guy has listed the offset as 35, but since my first post I've been hunting around and I actually think its 45 for A4 17" wheels, but as marriedblonde says, they may still rub.

Standard 17s on the A3 are 54 offset. The A4 ones are defo 45. So 9mm further out, I think. Should not cause a problem, and may actually looking better on the car - but perhaps more so on the rear than the front.

Interesting reading. The A4 wheels also come with 235-section tyres, so if replaced with 225s like the A3, it might fit even more nicely.

Karcsi - do you mean the wheels would be further out at the rear rather than the front?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just looked again - not so cheap now...!

[ QUOTE ]
Standard 17s on the A3 are 54 offset. The A4 ones are defo 45. So 9mm further out, I think. Should not cause a problem, and may actually looking better on the car - but perhaps more so on the rear than the front.

[/ QUOTE ]

Others on here have had problems with wheels rubbing with a 45mm offset, mine are a 42 mm offset and one of the rears rubs so how on earth would you get away with a 35mm offset? If you go for a 35mm offset you'll need to roll the arches.

I'll take some pics of my 42's when theres some light to show you how they sit within the arches. 35mm offset would stick out!

J.

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting reading. The A4 wheels also come with 235-section tyres, so if replaced with 225s like the A3, it might fit even more nicely.

Karcsi - do you mean the wheels would be further out at the rear rather than the front?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, just mean the rears are further under the arches than the fronts, so the rears perhaps could do with the extra width that the fronts.

[ QUOTE ]

Others on here have had problems with wheels rubbing with a 45mm offset, mine are a 42 mm offset and one of the rears rubs so how on earth would you get away with a 35mm offset? If you go for a 35mm offset you'll need to roll the arches.

I'll take some pics of my 42's when theres some light to show you how they sit within the arches. 35mm offset would stick out!

J.

[/ QUOTE ]

How the hell do Oettinger get away with 8.5J 19s with an 35 offset?

ok I stand corrected I've had a look at the Oettinger site and it does say 35mm for teh 8p's

I'll get some pics up later to she you teh clearance with the 42 offset rims!

J.

Right finally got round to taking some pics to show the offset of my rims. Like I said I am running 42mm offset and the do catch so I hate to think what a 35mm offset

audi_1.jpg

audi_3.jpg

Here's a Golf MkV with 8Jx18 ET35 RZ Oettingers

http:///www.oettinger.de/bilder/3993.jpeg

They're fitted. But I don't understand how they don't rub, unless the suspension is all but rigid.

How wide are your rims? If the A4 Sports are 7.5J, then the 45ET could be OK.