Mats with S-line logo

They don't look like they have the plastic fitting either to hold them down to the floor.

All aftermarket mats I've bought in the past have some way of securing at least the driver's one down.

Ok been away from the forum for a while (finally moved house thursday and don't have broad band yet in the new place).. You finally decided on the Clio then? Keep seeing the new polo and I'm not sure if I like, I know I dislike the lexus style rear light clusters...

J.

There were a couple of very good reasons I went for the Clio over the Polo MB.

Firstly,and foremostly,the Clio comes with a plethora of airbags.Front,side,curtain etc.etc.

The Polo comes with two. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
You can buy more...for £480.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

The Polo also doesn't come with a remote central locking 'plip' either.
For the privilege of being able to open your doors remotely,VW want around £200.

Doesn't matter what mag you read either,they all say the new Clio is the better drive as well.

Really though,VW need to get a grip and realise they cannot trade on name and reputation alone.

Went for a (deep breath...) 1.5 dci (86bhp) Dynamique with aircon and metallic paint (bleeding black,unfortunately...she wouldn't budge).

Got it for only a couple of hundred more than internet prices,from the local dealer.

Had to forgo their free servicing for life offer to get the good price,but that's no big deal to me.

PS,the Clio is also two insurance groups lower than the Polo (3,instead of 5).

65mpg,£80 a year roadtax and £129 a year fully comp insurance.

You should see the spec too !
It's even got 'dedicated cornering lights'. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Brushed aluminium lookeelikee door handles and interior trim as well.

Good colour choice... But I would say that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I know what you mean seems like every VW is now poverty spec as standard. The new Clio has had some rave reviews in the press especially the 1.5dci engined car.

Wasn't it the Clio that top gear raced a mountain bike in Italy or some where?

J.

I meant to ask you some advice regarding the black paint MB.

I know Meguire's do some sort of 3 stage treatment for new paint that,frankly,scares me.

Carplan have some new products out,one of which is a treatment/polish that they say fills in the tiny imperfections in new paint and seals it,making it far easier to clean off tar,bugs etc.in the future.

It's a single-stage treatment for around £15.99

Or am I as well just using the Meguires NXT shampoo and polish that I do on the A3 ?

Basically,I'm looking for some sort of treatment that gets the paint 'protected' when new and makes cleaning/polishing easier from then on.

sorry for butting in,but ive seen new car glaze on the clean and shiney website,im not sure if thats the stuff your after,or something like it?.

I'm making the assumption you want to spend as little time as possible cleaning it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Easiest way to keep it looking good is to get some megs body scrub or Meguiars Step 1 - Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner, this will remove the rubbish that comes from the factory/dealer ship.

Then apply some Collinite #476s Super Doublecoat Auto Wax this is deisgned for canadian winters and is a very hard wax and it lasts. It's nice and easy to apply and buff up as well.

Then just wash with some megs nxt car wash. I also use Autoglym Autowash each time which you just spray on and rinse off, I don't even bother using a chamois in the winter and it comes up nice and shiny.

J.

Cheers MB
Yes,you're right,time (or lack of) is of prime importance.

How often would you re-apply that Collinite wax ?

I would say I'm currently re-applying the Meguires NXT polish every half-dozen washes or so.

It's so easy to put on with that wee pad they give you,it only takes minutes.

I've noticed buffing can be a bit of a pain though.It's okay on side surfaces,but upward facing surfaces (bonnet especially) look awful close up.Never seem to buff up properly.

The collinite stuff only needs to be put on 3 times a year it's also very easy to buff off. I've not polished my A3 this year and the water is still beading. But our winters here down on the sunny south coast aren;t as harsh as yours.

Buy yourself some micro fibre cloth's as well as this will make polishing/buffing a lot easier. You can pick them up for around a fiver for 2 and it is money well spent.

On the upward facing surfaces do you get a streaking, hazing, cloudyness in the paint? Not best sure how to describe it...

J.

Cheers MB

It's hard to decribe the marks I'm left with using the NXT,but it's like tiny wee 'spots' (actually,smudges is a better word) that simply won't buff away easily.

They will go away if you buff like mad,using tremendous pressure,but it would take hours !

The car looks lovely and shiny from a few feet away,but you really notice the marks on the bonnet when you're close.

Couple of questions before I order the products you recommend for the Clio though;

1/ Is the stage 1 Meguires paint cleaner not a bit 'brutal' for new paint ? I thought it was more for old paint ?

2/ Where do you buy the Collinite stuff ? Ebay ? ( I can get Meguires from a shop in town ).

PS...how come Meguires NXT polish won't budge tar spots,but Autoglym or Mer used to remove them quite easily as part of the polishing process ?
Is it simply less abrasive ??

Do you live in a hard water area? The stage 1 or the body scrub should get rid of these marks, just remember to wax afterwards.

The stage 1 paint prep is non abrasive so will be perfectly fine for new paint.

The cheapest place for the collinite stuff is www.seriousperformance.co.uk his ordering service is a bit of a pain as he doesn't have an online one but if you drop him an email you can pay by paypal or bank transfer. Also tell him you are from here and he will give you a 10% discount and he also does free delivery.

J.

Good man !

So,bottom line;

The step 1 is a once-only treatment I should do as soon as I get the car,then shove the Collinite stuff on every now and then.
In between,use the NXT shampoo I already have.

Yeah ?

I couldn't find anywhere that did both online either Wilko,sorry.

What really?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

Bowfer - yeah pretty much spot on, if your keen you can cleanse the paint once a year with the stage 1 to keep it looking even better than new /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wilko - yep halfruads do the megs stuff.

The collinite stuff is only available from selected retailer and I have only ever got if from Alex @ serious

J.

[ QUOTE ]

Bowfer - yeah pretty much spot on, if your keen you can cleanse the paint once a year with the stage 1 to keep it looking even better than new /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wilko - yep halfruads do the megs stuff.

The collinite stuff is only available from selected retailer and I have only ever got if from Alex @ serious

J.

[/ QUOTE ]

Champion
Cheers for the advice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Might even treat the A3 to the same process.

I said might.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Oh,one more thing MB.

Are either of those products safe to use near rubber parts of the car ?

Or will I have to be careful,to avoid the 'white rubber trim' effect you see on other cars ?

The Meguires NXT polish is cool for that.You can overlap anything on the car,it comes off without nasty staining.

My order has been placed... spoke to Alex and he reckons I'll have the stuff for Friday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif, so you never no I might get chance to do it over the weekend, hopefully chean&shiney will get the Stage 1 Megs to me before the weekend too.....

And I've sorted myself a photobucket account out so I'll be able to post some pictures of both inside and outside of my motor! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

I'm not going to say it wont but it may leave a faint mark which can be rubbed off when it's dry.
It's not like the old Autoglym style polishes that left a white mark for the life of your car.

Put it this way I'm not very careful when I use it and mines still black.

J.

get some meg trim detailer as well, that will return any plastics or rubber back to new

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not going to say it wont but it may leave a faint mark which can be rubbed off when it's dry.
It's not like the old Autoglym style polishes that left a white mark for the life of your car.

Put it this way I'm not very careful when I use it and mines still black.

J.

[/ QUOTE ]

Superb.

Yes,it was Autoglym that used to make your bumpers/trims white.

Probably so they could sell their trim cleaning gel.

Can't wait to give the wife's bonnet a good rubbing now,so to speak. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Guys I'm telling you clean and shiney rule! They get better and better everytime I order from them. I placed an order yesterday (probably early afternoon before 15:00) and it's just bin delivered /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif... if the serious performance stuff arrives tomorrow as promised then im in for a weekend of cleaning and waxing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif

[ QUOTE ]
if the serious performance stuff arrives tomorrow as promised then im in for a weekend of cleaning and waxing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not with the weather forecast i've seen you're not... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

That sounds about right Claire and I are off on a cruise for a week saturday from southampton

And before anyone comments about getting old before my time Claire is getting to the point she can't fly so it was either a cruise or a week in a caravan in skegness.

J.