Bonnet problem + Cooling fan.

benny279

Reaction score
Hello,

So...I brought this A3 at the weekend at reasonable price and only two niggles I've had is the cooling fan seems to never shut off and bonnet won't open :p unlike my old car, oh wow that had more problems than it was worth. :)

I have read about it seems to be a common fault on this car with the fan staying on but it doesn't seem to shut off and I have no way of pulling a fuse for it cause of the bonnet issue! :( I mean it's not always on, like if I take it for a drive later at night and sensible of course it'd be fine when I get home and turn off. But that means using fuel for silly purpose, so I'm hoping someone can give me and idea what I can do?

For the bonnet, I've been told to pull the grille out e.g. snap the clips never heard such a bizarre thing but if need be I'd do it :/

Thanks in advance!
Ben

For the bonnet, what happens when you pull the lever? Is there tension or is the release lever just slack?

If there's tension then get someone to press down on front of bonnet as you work the lever a bit, may have to press down fairly firmly, like bouncing the car on its suspension. Likely cause is jammed/corroded bonnet catch.

If the release lever is slack and moves very freely then likely snapped release cable.

You bought a car without ever opening the bonnet?

Reactions: wuta3
If you get the car jacked up and take off the big under shield under the passenger side of the fan cowl in the bottom corner there is a multi plug you can undo that will stop the fans as a temp measure to stop it keep flattening the battery,as for the bonnet cable they have a joint where to half's of cable meet each other in a connector block on the drivers side near where the wing bolts are and sometimes they come out of that block.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/159609-bonnet-release-doesnt-release.html

CumbriaVAG • View topic - audi a3 8p sportback bonnet cable failure... fixed

You'll have to stretch up to release the bonnet from underneath the car with the cable or cut & pull.