I'm picking up 'Weird' vibrations....

• Thread starter imported_hburnett
  • Start date
I

imported_hburnett

(Beach Boy stylee!)

I've been having a vibration through the steering wheel for the pass few week and it feel like it pulls to a bit to the left... I've checked tyre pressures etc.. Car has only done 8k so I doubt a weight would have fallen off, haven't kerbed the wheels either (yet!)

Anyone else know what it could be?

Cheers H

Walloped a pothole ?

One of the wheel-balance weights fallen off (they only stick on) ?

One of your tyres developed an egg (lump) in it ?

when I had this in the past on a previous car it was a wheel weight that had fallen off. Only seemed to do it at high speed too.

Sounds more like tracking. I used to get my tracking checked every 6 months, because steering wheel would have to be held an inch off-center to go in a straight line on a flat road.

A classic symptom is to have a wobble in the steering wheel when doing 70 or 80 on a motorway.

When I took mine in, adjustments were small, but I get immediately annoyed by tracking problems like that. It just winds me up and I can't ignore it.

Saying that, I'm sure that getting tracking done regularly (for about 27 quid) saved me money on tyres, as I wasn't wearing shoulders off by having misaligned front wheels.

If you find a decent tracking place, then they might only charge you if they had to make an adjustment. Also, they should have a wheel balancing machine, and that should be a quick thing to do as well.

I've never heard of tracking causing vibration,but you live and learn.

Perhaps I had a weight-balance problem too, but getting tracking done hid that weight problem.

I guess you should check to see if you've lost a wheel weight, and if so, you know it should be a balancing problem. You should be able to see a clean outline in the brake dust of where the weight was if one has gone awol. Having said that, over time the weight distribution of a wheel will change as the tyre wears, so weights will need adjusting now and then anyway, but that usually just happens when you get new tyres.

Just read your original post again, and you mentioned pulling left, so I still reckon tracking is out.

Wheel weights fall off at any given opportunity.
Have you hit a pot hole in the road as a buckled wheel would cause the same.

Must confess I have never known tracking to cause wheel wobble...

Yeah, I'm beginning to think I was getting wobble + drift at same time, but because both went after only getting tracking sorted, maybe bad tracking just enhanced a weight problem I had at the same time.

So we're agreed that:
wobble = weights, wubber or wanky wim
offline-steering, drifting, rapid shoulder wear on tyres = usually tracking

Hmm might have to get them weights checked...

Also it feels a little 'light' at higher sppeds (mway) and a little un-nerving to say the least....

Kwik-Fit here I come!

Cheers H