My 2010 S3 Sportback Black Edition Progress Thread!

Muzza80

Reaction score
Thought I should start a proper progress thread.

I'm Murray, I'm 33 and live in Glasgow. Petrol head through and bought my 2010 S3 Sportback Black Edition last October. I got it from a local independent Audi dealer with 22k on it and pretty as close to new in condition as you will likely find, quite remarkable for a 3 & 1/2 year old car.

( http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/welcome-section/202192-new-s3-8p-owner-glasgow.html )

Best car I've ever owned by far, love it!

Not massively specced but not poverty spec either!

Symphony 2+
Bose
iPod dock
Alcantara option
Bluetooth
Auto lights
Auto wipers
Auto dimming rear view mirror

Here's some pics of when I first got it:

62daa60c-5103-4bfd-a8b9-d157deda1bc1_zps8c96ae9f.jpg~original

0039ac06-f9da-424a-b727-400ec6ae0c63_zps18d4d8ea.jpg~original

305d9504-84d2-4bba-bb2b-1c5b63855f98_zps9628bfb0.jpg~original

b8459c5f-c868-4867-bd52-a1ed34a08347_zps7ea95f66.jpg~original

Modifications so far:

1. MK2 RNSE with glossy surround.

I however got sick of the crap radio reception after fitting it (a problem on the later cars due to the different antenna setup) and modified the antenna setup properly to diversity (as comes standard on the later S3 with RNSE from the factory) with two new boosters and a custom loom, total cost just under £100 but well worthwhile mod. More details here: 8P - Solution for the Symphony II+ to RNS-E Antenna Issue | VAGOC.co.uk

CD8952E2-0610-4151-B7A6-A85BB92CEBD0_zpsar5hxxcz.jpg~original

2. Took her to Mark (Brodster / Brotek) for a Shark Performance stage 1 remap, delighted with this, could not fault the map at all really is the way it should have left the factory and a bargain price.

3_zpsf4c8f480.jpg

3. Next up I fitted a Creations Motorsport short shift kit, amazing mod for very little money! And also a GFB DV+ diverter valve.
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...king-about-short-shift-your-s3-look-here.html

4. Then it was back to Brotek for the CTS Turbo CAI and heatshield I got though a group buy Mark was running, he very kindly offered to help fit it too. I also picked up a TTS engine cover and fittings for it the next day.
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...-heatshield-audi-tts-engine-cover-fitted.html

CD9B53B5-D231-459C-A489-9021ADE859ED_zpsnh6gtgb9.jpg~original

1559292_664770430232507_1351823587_o_zps7e19374b.jpg~original

BBC51156-3791-42BA-911A-C192E4C89F99_zps2jv9krvq.jpg~original

5. Then had the car into Gordon @ Defined Details in Glasgow for a deep clean and winter protection detail. He used Polished Angel - Viking Shield which is a new sealant in the range designed for Scandinavian winters and should see me 6 months protection right through the winter with only a snowfoam and jetwash required, very low maintenance.

1451453_590656337649190_1348905366_n.jpg

6. Next up was the wheels, I liked the 18's but couldn't help myself when Warren_S3 posted up that he was selling his genuine RS3 19" Rotors and looking for 18's in P/X as he was trading his car in.

So believe it or not it was such a good deal I drove from Glasgow to 40 mins outside London to Warrens house and back again the same day, total of 770 miles and took me the best part of 13 hours lol Was nice to meet Warren he's a really nice fella and even threw in an interior LED kit for my car and some number plate LED's that work perfectly on the 2010 S3.

IMG_0955_zpsfea7b56d.jpg~original

7. So I've a good idea of look im going for with the car. I'm taking some of the RS3 refinements and adding them but not so much as to make it an RS3 replica I just like how they went a bit more styled with the RS3 and I'll happily take some of those bits thanks :) So RS3 rear difuser and front grille arrived this week. Also ordered up a 24mm adjustable Whiteline RARB and ALK (caster correction kit)

Had a little time this last couple of days and managed to get the RARB and RS3 rear diffuser on, the rest hopefully this weekend along with Eibach Pro-Kit springs that I've just ordered.

IMG_20140218_112233239_zpsay50deil.jpg~original

IMG_20140218_111202215_zpsy3kyvnzk.jpg~original

IMG_20140218_121513424_zpstp7kfkw7.jpg~original

IMG_20140218_124244129_zpsrbkaycdn.jpg~original

IMG_20140218_221522841_zpsiwet5bm1.jpg~original

IMG_20140218_221557382_zpsfzohnffo.jpg~original

The rear diffuser was a bit of a task to get to fit, you have to cut away quite a lot of the lower bumper (after removing the original diffuser) for it to work but it fits well after you do that and i also added a couplf of extra bolts in undreneath (not visible) to properly secure the ends but well worth the effort as I think it really changes the look of the rear for the better :)

The RARB has seriously gone a good way to sorting the understeer, very impressed although a few people asked why rear only so I'll cope and paste what I replied to them.

My experience with powerful front drive bias cars is that a rear ARB is the best bang for buck handling mod you can do and potentially more beneficial purely in terms of reducing understeer than a pair. It's widely accepted that the bigger the rear arb in relation to the front the less understeer however you have to be on the ball as the rear can get playful, naturally you're transferring the weight to the outside tyre much quicker and it will in turn lose traction quicker but I like that and would much rather a point and shoot setup with a marginally more playful rear that calls Quattro into play a bit sooner than an understeering mess.

Well that's it for now, I'll keep this updated as much as I can and I hope it was a worthwhile read for you.

RS3 front grille, ALK and springs this weekend if the weather holds off! :)

Reactions: leshkin, Audi-Rog, Kelza and 6 others
looks good, black ceramic pipes would finish off the rear. been thinking about the polish angel stuff but I have 4 shelves of stuff as it is:wacko:

Reactions: Muzza80
looks good, black ceramic pipes would finish off the rear

Cheers.

I'll be changing the exhaust shortly, bigger tips and highly polished then sealed, I like the contrast :)

Cars coming along very nicely Muzza... Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh..

Really like what you've done with this it looks spot on.

Looks fantastic,need to keep eyes peeled for you out and about

that looks absolutely spot on, in the last two photos, it sits right & looks bang on, the silver on the rear diffuser finishes it off nicely!

Love the rear, need a sportback next.

Murray that's looks spot on dude. I've been wanting to see how your car is getting on. I might have to steal a few ideas lol

Great job

Just noticed, are you running RS2's? I had them on my previous car and was planning on getting them for my S3 next month how do you find them?

Just noticed, are you running RS2's? I had them on my previous car and was planning on getting them for my S3 next month how do you find them?

Honestly..... I don't rate them.

Ok they're good on standing water but they drone at motorway speeds on a really smooth section here in Glasgow and I feel they're really lacking in grip under hard cornering on damp roads, they don't really inspire much confidence at all.

Previous tyres I've owned recently:

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2
Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta

Frankly they all are in a different league to the RS2's, my personal favourite being the Eagle Assy 2's but I really want to give the Michelin Pilot Super Sport a shot next.

Last edited:
Nice man! Just got my S3 2009 in black and looking to add an rs3 black grille though shipping costs are a biatch to Australia.

Reactions: James94 and Muzza80
Honestly..... I don't rate them.

Ok they're good on standing water but they drone at motorway speeds on a really smooth section here in Glasgow and I feel they're really lacking in grip under hard cornering on damp roads, they don't really inspire much confidence at all.

Previous tyres I've owned recently:

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2
Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta

Frankly they all are in a different league to the RS2's, my personal favourite being the Eagle Assy 2's but I really want to give the Michelin Pilot Super Sport a shot next.

Awesome thanks mate, they were really good on my old car but it only weighed in at around 800Kg so I was a little worried what a heavier car would be like on them.

looks stunning mate, im from glasgow also, looking for those rs3 alloys for my s3 how is the ride to 18's? feel much difference.
Mark

.....but I really want to give the Michelin Pilot Super Sport a shot next.

I think you'll like them.

They have the grip of something close to a trackday tyre,without needing to be blazing hot to work,and have excellent wet grip as well.

Just about the best all round tyre I've had on the car.

I think you'll like them.

They have the grip of something close to a trackday tyre,without needing to be blazing hot to work,and have excellent wet grip as well.

Just about the best all round tyre I've had on the car.

That's music to my ears cheers. Would I get away with the odd track day on them too or will they shred like the f1's did?

That's music to my ears cheers. Would I get away with the odd track day on them too or will they shred like the f1's did?

I doubt they'd shred as they do seem pretty robust,but I don't think they'd last more than a couple of days at best,but then my Toyos were a bit tired after one.

i do think though that they're about the best road tyre I've ever used.

Nice wheels! :whistle2:

Hear what you're saying about the RS2's, great in the rain, but noisy and lacking grip in the dry. When I bought the RS3 wheels I was short on cash and the 4 tyres were a bargain on Camskill.

Cars looking great, good work.

Reactions: Gregsy16, Muzza80 and Hoesty
Car looks great. Love the rs3 mods on it. Defo a route i'll be taking with my S3. Hopefully might get a chance to see this in the flesh soon seeing as you aren't that far away from me.

Nice wheels! :whistle2:

Hear what you're saying about the RS2's, great in the rain, but noisy and lacking grip in the dry. When I bought the RS3 wheels I was short on cash and the 4 tyres were a bargain on Camskill.

Cars looking great, good work.

I'm probably being a bit harsh about the RS2's, to be honest they're not a bad tyre just less grip than im used to with previous tyres but by no means a bad tyre for the price.

Car looks great. Love the rs3 mods on it. Defo a route i'll be taking with my S3. Hopefully might get a chance to see this in the flesh soon seeing as you aren't that far away from me.

Cheers, yeah you planning coming to any meets? :)

I'm probably being a bit harsh about the RS2's, to be honest they're not a bad tyre just less grip than im used to with previous tyres but by no means a bad tyre for the price.

Cheers, yeah you planning coming to any meets? :)

Yeah plan on coming to as many as I can, pretty new to the Vag scene so you lot might have to humour me a little until i fully emerse myself in all the audi tuning world has to offer.

When is the next one??

Intrigued to see whether you experience any rubbing with the 19's and lowered springs on your S3 especially with rear passengers. I take it your front tyres are 235's and rear 225's. I have the same wheels and contemplating on springs.

Reactions: Hoesty
Intrigued to see whether you experience any rubbing with the 19's and lowered springs on your S3 especially with rear passengers. I take it your front tyres are 235's and rear 225's. I have the same wheels and contemplating on springs.

With no spacers I had 5 people in our car (235's on the back/Eibach Pro spring kit). With at head arch liner screws, no rubbing but it was close.

As Warren says they're 235 all round and 8J ET50 genuine RS3 rims.

I had two rather large mates in the rear of the car the other day and a boot full of stuff and there was no rubbing at all so not something I'd be concerned about to be honest.

I'll be dropping the front on Eibach pro-kit springs to match the rear (the pro-kit retains the OEM spring rate, which is stiff enough, whilst dropping a little bit to match the rear hence they sell the kit as a front pair only)

I'll also look to be changing the dampers to Koni FSD or Bilstein B8's all round which should improve the handling whilst retaining a good level of comfort.

Reactions: warren_S5
As Warren says they're 235 all round and 8J ET50 genuine RS3 rims.

I had two rather large mates in the rear of the car the other day and a boot full of stuff and there was no rubbing at all so not something I'd be concerned about to be honest.

I'll be dropping the front on Eibach pro-kit springs to match the rear (the pro-kit retains the OEM spring rate, which is stiff enough, whilst dropping a little bit to match the rear hence they sell the kit as a front pair only)

I'll also look to be changing the dampers to Koni FSD or Bilstein B8's all round which should improve the handling whilst retaining a good level of comfort.

I'm like yourself on 19's and i'm going for the Eibach front springs as I want to retain that somewhat OE ride quality!!!!!!!!!!!

I was nether good at that how low can you go game anyway LOL!!!!!!!!!

Eibachs FTW!!!!!

Murray gets some pics up of the rs3 grill. I'm looking forward to this :)))

Gave the car a bit of a clean today as the weather was nice.

Took a few pics, shows the new grille and rear RS3 diffuser better. Not fitted springs yet but hopefully get a chance to do them over the weekend if the weather holds out.

I also need to black out the crash bar behind the grille but waiting as the front bumper will be getting re-sprayed shortly anyway so will do it then.

Should have my short private plate on in the next few weeks too and looking at options for replacing the S3 badge on the front as I think it looks too bare without it.

1_zps95c70486.jpg~original

2_zps9cc962c1.jpg~original

3_zpscfc3a5f0.jpg~original

4_zps78dab31c.jpg~original

5_zps3802e7ac.jpg~original

6_zps4acb1524.jpg~original

7_zpsb871171e.jpg~original

8_zpsd918e285.jpg~original

All comments welcome :)

Reactions: MrWhItEwOlF, Audi-Rog, B30villain and 3 others
The car looks stunning. Great colour which looks fantastic when clean. I love the rs3 grill, wish I had an 8P3 so I could do this mod.

I don't even think the S3 badge is necessary, I quite like the stealthiness of it without. I think I'd have a smaller front plate if possible to show off as much if that naughty grill as possible!

Reactions: Muzza80 and AdriansS3
Gave the car a bit of a clean today as the weather was nice.

Took a few pics, shows the new grille and rear RS3 diffuser better. Not fitted springs yet but hopefully get a chance to do them over the weekend if the weather holds out.

I also need to black out the crash bar behind the grille but waiting as the front bumper will be getting re-sprayed shortly anyway so will do it then.

Should have my short private plate on in the next few weeks too and looking at options for replacing the S3 badge on the front as I think it looks too bare without it.

1_zps95c70486.jpg~original

2_zps9cc962c1.jpg~original

3_zpscfc3a5f0.jpg~original

4_zps78dab31c.jpg~original

5_zps3802e7ac.jpg~original

6_zps4acb1524.jpg~original

7_zpsb871171e.jpg~original

8_zpsd918e285.jpg~original

All comments welcome :)
One word-stunning!

Looks awesome that mate, love it! I agree with the above I think it looks good without a badge on front grille.

This is becoming a bit of an rs3 replica haha! Is that the goal?

never mind that comment I didn't read the entire thread beforehand! I'd love to see the rs3 bumper and wings on this though!

The car looks stunning. Great colour which looks fantastic when clean. I love the rs3 grill, wish I had an 8P3 so I could do this mod.

I don't even think the S3 badge is necessary, I quite like the stealthiness of it without. I think I'd have a smaller front plate if possible to show off as much if that naughty grill as possible!

One word-stunning!

Looks awesome that mate, love it! I agree with the above I think it looks good without a badge on front grille.

Cheers guys, I'm actually considering having the grille surround and the front lower splitter section as well as the upper strip on the door handle covers painted alu to match the wing mirrors and rear diffuser. Kind of like the RS3 matt alu styling pack.

Possibly do the fog grilles in gloss black too.

I'll defo be putting a badge of some sort on the front grille though.

This is becoming a bit of an rs3 replica haha! Is that the goal?

never mind that comment I didn't read the entire thread beforehand! I'd love to see the rs3 bumper and wings on this though!

Not going full RS3 replica, not a fan of replicas to be honest but I reckon you can still take a few bits over :)

Reactions: stetheo
Loving this thread, no RS3 badges!
I ****** hate replicas also!! :keule:
Car's looking good mate.

Cheers guys, I'm actually considering having the grille surround and the front lower splitter section as well as the upper strip on the door handle covers painted alu to match the wing mirrors and rear diffuser. Kind of like the RS3 matt alu styling pack.

Possibly do the fog grilles in gloss black too.

I'll defo be putting a badge of some sort on the front grille though.

Not going full RS3 replica, not a fan of replicas to be honest but I reckon you can still take a few bits over :)

agreed haha as I have taken the RS3 grill too so it would be a bit hypocritical for me to say otherwise! just as long as it doesn't have the badge I am happy for RS3 bodykits on s3s and s3 kits on a3s etc

Sweet that is.

Well done mate. I agree with the majority.. Big no to replicas but a few bits here and there are totally fine.

Blue never gets old either

any pics yet with the springs fitted?

Reactions: Hoesty