Buying my first A3 could I pick your brains??.

Reaction score
Good evening fellas.

decided my next car will be an A3 as they're just so damn good looking!!

my budget will stretch to £10,000 maybe a little over if I must.

my question is there are what seem like good details on A3 2010 2.0 tdi for around me price range having done 40,000-50-000 miles

then there is the A3 1.6 technik which I presume is the bottom lowest end of the a3 spectrum but these are around the same price as the 2.0 tdi???

i don't get it is there some problems I don't know about with 2.0 tdi?? As obviously I would much rather drive a 2.0L engine!,

thanks

Avoid 1.6 and 3.2 and non turbo 2.0 petrol. All other engines are fab. 170tdi has issues with dpf if only doing numerous short journeys. s-tronic auto box is superb.

Thanks fellas. Been reading about problems with the 2.0 tdi regarding injectors failing numerous times?
Has this been sorted? Couldn't tell how old a3 they were talking about?!
I am not buying anything older than 2010

Thanks fellas. Been reading about problems with the 2.0 tdi regarding injectors failing numerous times?
Has this been sorted? Couldn't tell how old a3 they were talking about?!
I am not buying anything older than 2010

Injector problems was 2006-2007ish A3 170 TDi's

1878, I have the 2.0 TDI 170 DPF 2007.
I've had it 5 years now and i F**ing love it! Done about 35,000 miles in it. Yet to see the DPF light (touch wood)
Had the Injectors and clutch with DMF under warranty/recall.Done cam belt with water pump to.
Has Bluefin remap just joy to drive. Eats hills!

You need to have a bit more criteria. I just bought an 11 reg, 2.0 TDI 170 A3 because it suited what I was after. Namely very good MPG (achieving 50 comfortably driving like a 12 year old - will increase as/if I get more mature), something which suited longer trips, quality well built cabin, not too many miles on the clock but enough that it hasn't sat idle somewhere or been used for a different purpose than it should.

A lot of people will knock a type of engine and say it has XYZ faults, sometimes it's justified (at least Audi recognise it and are willing to do a recall) but many of the problems are caused by the human behind the wheel (whether it be maintenance, driving style or something else). So yeah, what do you need the car for?

You need to have a bit more criteria. I just bought an 11 reg, 2.0 TDI 170 A3 because it suited what I was after. Namely very good MPG (achieving 50 comfortably driving like a 12 year old - will increase as/if I get more mature), something which suited longer trips, quality well built cabin, not too many miles on the clock but enough that it hasn't sat idle somewhere or been used for a different purpose than it should.

A lot of people will knock a type of engine and say it has XYZ faults, sometimes it's justified (at least Audi recognise it and are willing to do a recall) but many of the problems are caused by the human behind the wheel (whether it be maintenance, driving style or something else). So yeah, what do you need the car for?

Basically me and the Gf will be sharing it. I have a van through work I use mon-fri so she'll use it for work. Ill use it mainly weekends and evenings. Gf has a round trip of 60 miles each day for work. But she's also pregnant so need to upgrade her 3 door 56 fiesta :O for arrival of baby!

so I know 2.0 tdi is the way to go I just couldn't comprehend how or why they were going for same if not a bit lower in price than a 1.6 tecknik petrol A3???

1878, I have the 2.0 TDI 170 DPF 2007.
I've had it 5 years now and i F**ing love it! Done about 35,000 miles in it. Yet to see the DPF light (touch wood)
Had the Injectors and clutch with DMF under warranty/recall.Done cam belt with water pump to.
Has Bluefin remap just joy to drive. Eats hills!

Sounds good mate! Can't wait to get it!!

If you have a couple of examples of the two similar in price I'm sure someone could explain the difference. If it truly is like for like then the 2.0 140 seems fine, nice low road tax as well. The car itself feels very secure, plenty of room in the back and boot for baby crap.

Should be able to pick up a reasonably decent S3 for about £11500, would be 2007 for sure but much more of a car than a diesel etc.

i have the 140 tdi and love it, just had a revo map stage 1 and it just changes the car like mad and i do 300+ miles a week and it just eats up the miles and you dont need to change gear up hills.

I've got a 2.0TDi 2009 black edition!! And it's never let me down been an amazing car! also I get up to a nice 64mpg average on a run!

Reactions: RobbieWebs
I've got a 2.0TDi 2009 black edition!! And it's never let me down been an amazing car! also I get up to a nice 64mpg average on a run!

U must be driving it like miss daisy then because I'm mid 50's :p
Only seen 60's a few times and that's been following slow traffic.

Can honestly say the 2.0tdi 140 is a great car. Plenty go about it and I'm sure ur misses will enjoy driving it as mine does :)