Help put a screw driver through oil filter cap

PhilLUFC

Reaction score
So i decided i was gonna change oil simple job came to the filter and its a 32 mm socket aint it well dont have one so i thought i would tap it round with a screw drive but instead it just went straight through and obvs now soon as you start it up it just squirts oil every where is there anywhere i can get a replacement ?

Scrap yard or dealer, why did you ever use a screwdriver to tap it around ??.
Buy yourself a pair of Mole grips or even better a 32mm socket. 32mm socket £4 delivered.

METRIC HEX SOCKETS 1/4 3/8 1/2 SQUARE DRIVE ALL SIZES STANDARD & DEEP | eBay

AM-TECH 5" CURVED JAW SELF LOCKING MOLE GRIP PLIERS | eBay

Part number for a 2007 A3 140 TDI just a guess on the year 045115433D looks to be about £25 from the dealers. Does it look like this ?

$49.00 045115433D New Oil Filter Housing Upper Cap for 1.9 TDI and 2.0 TDI Engines for 10-12 Golf, 05-12 Jetta, 09-12 Passat CC, 09-12 Audi A3, 10-12 Audi A5, 09-11 Audi A6/S6, 09-12 Audi Q5.

Karl.

Last edited:
Got one for scrap yard off an audi engine looks the same but doesn't fit a 32 socket ...

Yep, two different sized nuts on the top, but they both fit the same canister. Lesson learned eh. :yes:

Yea big time lesson learnt haha dont listen to some people on here haha ah **** ive just swopped te 32 for a 36 bet it wont fit the one currently on my car *** haha

One last question whats the best way to clean the engine and engine bay from *** the oil what squirted out ??

I dont know was just a audi engine laid on the floor why

Also, for cleaning the engine bay get some Auto Glym Engine & Machine cleaner. Then when you get really carried away with cleaning it all off, spray the black bits with Auto Glym Vinyl & Rubber care while still wet, and leave it to dry.

The 1.9 engine is a different thread on the oil filter housing I think. If it won't fit then maybe you got the wrong engine. Or does the cap fit on the filter canister and I've misread you?

So i decided i was gonna change oil simple job came to the filter and its a 32 mm socket aint it well dont have one so i thought i would tap it round with a screw drive but instead it just went straight through and obvs now soon as you start it up it just squirts oil every where is there anywhere i can get a replacement ?

Got to ask why you started a job without the correct tools socket or spanner and why you started the engine with a hole in the lubrication circuit ?

Reactions: Boon, wuta3 and chris.vincent3
Yeah £27 quid from audi or £24 quid from vw .

Not a lot of people stock them .

Which area are you in if that one doesn't fit?

Harold wood vw had 1 left in stock or audi finchley road aka the A41.

You'll get straight in there with a small extension and swivel joint on the end of it .

Last edited:
Scrap yard or dealer, why did you ever use a screwdriver to tap it around ??.
Buy yourself a pair of Mole grips or even better a 32mm socket. 32mm socket £4 delivered.

METRIC HEX SOCKETS 1/4 3/8 1/2 SQUARE DRIVE ALL SIZES STANDARD & DEEP | eBay

AM-TECH 5" CURVED JAW SELF LOCKING MOLE GRIP PLIERS | eBay

Part number for a 2007 A3 140 TDI just a guess on the year 045115433D looks to be about £25 from the dealers. Does it look like this ?

$49.00 045115433D New Oil Filter Housing Upper Cap for 1.9 TDI and 2.0 TDI Engines for 10-12 Golf, 05-12 Jetta, 09-12 Passat CC, 09-12 Audi A3, 10-12 Audi A5, 09-11 Audi A6/S6, 09-12 Audi Q5.

Karl.

Yeah that's the same filter cap.

It says 1.9 tdi to so maybe he will be ok.

Got to ask why you started a job without the correct tools socket or spanner and why you started the engine with a hole in the lubrication circuit ?

I was thinking the exact same thing. Some people eh?

Reactions: Niloc
I was thinking the exact same thing. Some people eh?
I think it's down to people wanting to give it a go them selves, but are not mechanically minded, it happens , I know this from own experience and have learned from it and now have a fair selection of my own tools to hand so no more trying short cuts.

I can't help with why the engine was started lol

Oil filter inner mechanics work in varying ways. I.e check valve to ensure oil supply at start up. It would be very wise to put the correct filter back in, than trying to keep bodging the job.

ecs do a metal one so no problems again ! they are susceptible to cracking

ecs do a metal one so no problems again ! they are susceptible to cracking

Probably because people forget "Torque settings" the torque setting for the oil cap iirc is 25NM and stamped on the cap? No need to do it any tighter as it has an O-ring that'll seal.

Plus the oil seal means it would be unlikely ever to tap off, it needs a steady applied pressure to undo as the rubber seal will dampen any attempts to "tap" it off. My BMW has a better design where a long thread/rod/bolt clamps through the centre of the filter housing so the top doesn't have to turn to undo (and hence doesn't need turn the oil seal round too).

Make sure the oil seal has some oil on it.