New owner Audi A3, but a few ideas in mind!

Jayjay93

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm a proud new owner of an Audi A3 and I will hopefully be new to modding, also new to the website so if I've put this in the wrong thread I apologise. I'm 20years old and said to myself from day 1 of driving I wouldn't mod any cars until I've found something I like enough - which 3years down the line I finally have. My....
Audi A3 2.0Tdi SE 3door Hatchback

Anyway, down to business, I had a few ideas in mind when first purchasing the A3 (especially after browsing the forum of the pictures of many of your cars). Some of the ideas I had in mind are quite simple such as;
-HID Xenon Light Kit
-Window Tints
-K&N Induction Kit
-Upgrade the sound system to the Bose, as well as adding my own sub
-Wind Deflectors
-Debadge certain signs like the 2.0Tdi and a3 badge (I want to leave the audi rings)
-and other simple things like these

However, I was more interested in guidance for some of the following;(which I'll explain in more detail)
-S3 Front Bumper and Rear Spoiler: Sourcing the products, scrap yards or ebay and places like that I'm betting are my best bet? However, I saw in some of the modding guides in the project room people had cut away part of the crash bar in order to fit on the S3 bumpers (will this affect it passing an MOT or is that fine)

-SLine skirts and rear bumper: is it pretty much a bolt on job? I looked round the forum and people had spoke about it but i couldnt find much detail or step to guides when looking

-Interior modifications, Such as changing the steering wheel as I have an 04 plate so it has the older styles steering wheel, if I got the steering wheel from something like an 06plate+ is this a simple exchange or what has to be done so that it will fit? Also changing the stereo unit to similar s3 lookalike units you can buy (with the satnav and so on) - long as all the connections and adapters are handy are they pretty much straight swaps same as any other car? or is there ones I should stay away from? Also the seats if I find SLine seats do I need to stay away from particular years or will any 8P styled audi seats fit?

Also while I'm here, I may as well pick your brains again, I've looked up on plastidipping (the spray paint which creates a sort of plasticky wrap) I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with it and whether they recommend it or not. Thanks!

If any of you can help, guide or advise I would greatly appreciate it. I love the car to pieces and just want to make these improvements so I love it even more, I know it will end up being expensive but I'm going to gradually do this over time. I will look forward to hearing what you have to say and wish you all the best!

Last edited:
-HID Xenon Light Kit
BEWARE wiper motor failure on aftermarket HID kits. WellDone HID kits are supposed to be the only ones that are safe.

-Window Tints
Honestly don't bother, they really do look garbage as basically you are tinting the rear windows only and cutting the car in half. Don't let anybody say it makes the car look better for it. They can post all the pictures they want, but when the rear half of the glazing is darker than the front it looks ****e. It is akin to fitting some anthracite rear wheels and silver fronts.

-K&N Induction Kit
Will probably reduce power and increase induction noise, something the VAG PD TDI does not need - unless you like the sound of hammerdrills!

-Upgrade the sound system to the Bose, as well as adding my own sub
The BOSE system isn't "all that" the standard system in the Sport including the sub woofer is 90% of the BOSE. All that is different with the BOSE IME is the bass is tighter (and often very heavy) at lower volumes. The sub is/was standard on most models and sounds great IMO for a factory setups. Plenty of bass anyway. If you don't have a sub already, there'll be loads out of non-bose vehicles to find.

-Wind Deflectors
Add on tat, best left to imported Shoguns

-Debadge certain signs like the 2.0Tdi and a3 badge (I want to leave the audi rings)
Will look good as long as the rings are left as they are in silver. On my car I've removed the 2.0 designation so the boot just has A3 and TDI much like later 2009+ cars. But full debage can look nice and tidy.

Bumpers look good, though S3 will cost more to convert, and S-Line is arguabley nicer as it has splitters. On the rear ANY 3dr bumper will fit so you can fit a facelift rear bumper, even the standard bumper looks like the old S-Line (albeit slightly sharper styled) and a pennies off ebay as every A3 was fitted with them.

As you car is an SE, the suspension will be pretty high, so I'd fit some lowering springs or S-Line springs so the car sits nicely. This will improve the look more than anything else.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback,

The window tints are a must for me, but I'll be getting all windows done limo black on the rear w/s, midnight on the rear windows, then light smoke on the front, and as for the Bose, I was considering it as (young lad) I do like to feel some pumpin bass, can drown my girlfriends nagging out ;)

I will deffo look into the springs, as for rest of bodywork I was looking, if I change the front end do I need to change the bonnet?

Tints I did that to my A3 completely black - I liked it, my a4 is now just smoked. It's down to you really on tints on how you feel about them.

Wind deflectors - I had team heko on my civic and a3 loved them. Came in handy when picking up food and it's chucking it down to open the window slightly. Also it helps with the wipers pushing rain water over to the drivers side covering up the side mirrors. However be aware if your try and push your mirrors in don't push too hard it will break them.

Head units, I changed mine to an alpine with Bluetooth as I got the unit at a bargin price. I still have the harness available so pm me if interested.

Speakers - for the money of upgrading to Bose I wouldn't say it's worth it. I kept my setup as standard thought it was good enough as I wasn't rolling round blaring the sound out. But if you wanted a bit more bass look on eBay for Andy Mac stealth subs to go in place of your stock one.

Rear bumpers/skirts - looked into it never did it, but a direct fit on those mate from what I remember reading.

Front bumper, if you have an 8p1 split grill yes you will need to cut the crash barrier.

I also did a full LED interior and number plate install contact TR8PS absolute top lad and service!

Retrofitted footwell lights at the front but wanted the rears done too but sold the car. Contact RobinA3 for the looms very professionally done.

K&N induction kit, I wouldn't recommend it for a diesel, cones can screw up your engine. If you really wanted to put in a filter I wold go panel. I used a BMC one.

HIDS unless you want to change a wiper motor I would avoid. I purchased Philips diamond vision bulbs. Bit pricey for bulbs but worth it, unless you want to do the full retrofit of Audi xenons.

If you need someone to do the retrofitting NHN is the man to go to!

Depending what year your car is you may need to change the bonnet for a conversion.

Springs - I also put the sline springs on mine. RIDE WAS HARD AS HELL for me. But I only paid £20 for the springs. I was looking into some shocks from an sline too. But again sold the car before I did.

Whey someone from the mids I used to go to Solihull college, do you have any pics of your motor?

Depending what year your car is you may need to change the bonnet for a conversion.

Springs - I also put the sline springs on mine. RIDE WAS HARD AS HELL for me. But I only paid £20 for the springs. I was looking into some shocks from an sline too. But again sold the car before I did.

Yeah I was thinkin to change the springs to lower it rather than it sitting as high, if it's 54 plate will I need to change the bonnet too?

Whey someone from the mids I used to go to Solihull college, do you have any pics of your motor?

Yeah went Solihull college too, finished in 2011 - no pics yet

Last edited:
wind deflectors £25 off ebay team heko that what i got for s3 - bose soudn system sounds good

Yep will be needed and a grill. I have a grill for sale. Pm me if interested

Thanks for all your help buddy, if im changing bonnet will the same headlights be okay? is there a particular bonnet i need? thanks for the offer of the grill but i'll be doing the smaller things first then working my way up to the bigger stuff like bumpers, bonnet etc(plus i'll wait until after the new year before doing anything anyway due to time and space christmas takes over my house haha)

Not sure about the rest, I'd say leave the wind deflectors for old 4x4s and tints if you really want them but keep them light.

With regards to the sound system definitely steer clear of Bose. If you buy the car with it - well and good but I wouldn't waste time effort and loads of money buying it all and then putting it in. A nice aftermarket sub will do the trick but to be completely honest the Audi factory setup is very decent, the main thing it needs is a good tune.

On the topic of changing body work, taking into account the time, effort and money you're spending making your car look like whatever model you want it to, wouldn't it be easier to buy that model or spec in the first place?

Yes, just to stress the BOSE in this age of cars is not much different to the factory system with sub. I had an S-Line with Bose and a Sport with the stock system and there was very little difference. The main difference I thought was the BOSE system has strong low down bass but that sometimes can be annoying depending on what you're listening too. At higher volumes, to my ears, it essentially sounds the same.

The only issues I have with my current car, a 2007 Sport with a double din headunit is that it is completely unfathomable to operate when using MP3s. It is impossible to nagivate/control files/subfolders, button designation changes depending on position, you can't easily identify what is being highlights or selected, it's really really bad. Whoever designed it had no idea what they were doing and had obviously never used a Becker which uses a SINGLE rotary knob to wholly control folder/file selection with ease.

Not sure about the rest, I'd say leave the wind deflectors for old 4x4s and tints if you really want them but keep them light.

With regards to the sound system definitely steer clear of Bose. If you buy the car with it - well and good but I wouldn't waste time effort and loads of money buying it all and then putting it in. A nice aftermarket sub will do the trick but to be completely honest the Audi factory setup is very decent, the main thing it needs is a good tune.

On the topic of changing body work, taking into account the time, effort and money you're spending making your car look like whatever model you want it to, wouldn't it be easier to buy that model or spec in the first place?

Bodywork and stuff is not only just for the look of the car its also so its extras that i want to do, time and effort is its going to be interesting and i'll have enjoyed doing, its the same way as you'd have your own home and decorate it the way you want to make it more homely, I want to do those same little changes to the car. As well its what the price of insurance is for me to have an s3, a modification like the s3 front bumper isn't majorly different in current insurance price.

I'm going for a range of different tints, limoblack on rear windscreen, midnights on rear windows then light smoke on the fronts.

As for the bose sound system seen with how many people are against it as its just a minor different I guess I wont be bothering with that and I'll just hook my Sub, Amp and possibly 6x9's aswell

The wind deflectors are mostly because I'm doing alot of motorway miles and although its only a slight difference to the wind noise it helps alot when im doing 70mph with the windows slightly open

Yes, just to stress the BOSE in this age of cars is not much different to the factory system with sub. I had an S-Line with Bose and a Sport with the stock system and there was very little difference. The main difference I thought was the BOSE system has strong low down bass but that sometimes can be annoying depending on what you're listening too. At higher volumes, to my ears, it essentially sounds the same.

The only issues I have with my current car, a 2007 Sport with a double din headunit is that it is completely unfathomable to operate when using MP3s. It is impossible to nagivate/control files/subfolders, button designation changes depending on position, you can't easily identify what is being highlights or selected, it's really really bad. Whoever designed it had no idea what they were doing and had obviously never used a Becker which uses a SINGLE rotary knob to wholly control folder/file selection with ease.

I didnt think the doubledin was that bad from my experience, my brother owns an a4 cabriolet (soon getting rid of it for a a5) and the doubledin in that seemed easy enough to use - altho when i was having a play with it, it was through bluetooth connectivity not the mp3

It's probably a newer set, and would imagine something else controlling it it would be fine. My headunit is the standard headunit fitted from 2007 on, so double din but not an upgrade of sorts. It supports mp3 which is good, but I have never got my head around navigating the menus as they are unneccesarily counter-intuitive, and impossible to do whilst driving.