No Rear Speakers / Original Head Unit

Ste-Martin

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just got a A3 came with a alpine HU and only the front speakers worked, I replaced it with my Sony HU and same problem. After looking I needed a harness I have tried PC9-401 and 410. It is half amped tried both no good. But the original Audi HU in and still no rear speakers. What can I check to see what the problem is? Do you think the AMP in dead for the rears? Really confused. Thanks in advance

Similar situation to myself, I'm waiting to get a chance to see what wiring the previous owner got up to when he put his own sub in the boot...

Wild guess that the amp has either been disconnected or missing maybe. I'm putting a 12" sub in once I've sorted the rears out.

Dunno what year you have - but assuming all the plugs are in the back of the OEM Head Unit, have a look at Fuse 18 in the engine bay fuse box - that's the one for the amp.

if original HU has no rear sound then check the wires on the sub in the passenger side boot trim and the amp in the drivers side boot trim.

Think it's only half amped and not a BOSE system. Just need to figure out how to take the lining off now ha

half amped or not, will still have the sub in the passenger side.
its easy... take a screw out next to the boot light, move the rear passenger seat forward and move the cap covering another screw and remove screw. there is a third screw near that cap and then once that is out you should be able to pull the trim away from the side but you need to lift it up at the same time to get it off the metal luggage hooks

That cable won't solve anything. Check the fuses tonight and only one blown it was for the rear wiper. Think some one has messed around with that as it is in reverse for some reason. That link won't work either any other links? Getting really annoyed not having any base at all.

From my experience with using the pc9-401, u need to feed the remote input on the loom with a 12v ignition and not the remote lead from the sony loom (its not powerful enough). On the sony loom the yellow (permanent) has a twin slot on the input, try clipping the remote lead off the pc9-401 to that to see if it powers up. If it does then u know it works and just needs a proper ignition feed, so get that wired up and u shud be sorted.

The second and very important thing u need to do is change the settings on the sony stereo:

- Put loudness on
- Fade to the rear a bit to balance out the sound because the fronts are alot louder than the rears after the swap
- It shouldnt make a diff if ur using a pc9-401, but if ur using a 404 then u need to set the preout setting to "rear out" as opposed to "sub-out"

I'm not familiar with the aftermarket units and leads - I did successfully fit an aftermarket HU to mine but using various plugs and sockets off t'internet and making my own (untidy but functional) loom.

Need to get back to basics - main power feed to amp is via fuse 18. Signal and switching feeds go the rear amp via the long narrow mini-iso plug. If all this is in place (there are three plugs to go into the back of the HU in total - 4 if you have factory bluetooth) using the OEM HU (and subject to the fader being set in the middle or at least not fully front), the problem's somewhere behind the panel in the boot area - dead amp, missing, disconnected or butchered wiring etc.
You need to work through each until you find the cause.
One time when I was searching for info on this I found a picture guide where a guy with 8L had documented how he'd disconnected the speaker terminal on his sub cos he didn't like it.....

Think it is something to do with what is in the boot. Think there was no fuse in 18 and looks like no metal contacts in there either. Looked at the map and nothing says that on there. Got 3 days off work starting Sat so should be able to do that as well as put my Sub in after I've worked out best route for the RCA's and power

And also is fuse 18 in the Engine bay or next to steering wheel? As it says something like parking sensor

Found the fuse 18 under the bonnet it was missing put one in and still nothing even with OEM in so sounds like it's knackered in the boot.

Friend of mine recently got a late 08 1.4T and he don't seem to have back speaker either so I assume some models just have front speakers. What's interesting is that on his stock chorus radio he doesn't even have "fader" mode so literally it's how it is.

I can see the speakers through the grills on the back seats so deffo there also don't know why they would put a loom in if it didn't have it

Got the sub out today looked fine took the woofer out and noticed that a plug wasn't plugged in and has nothing to plug into guessing that's for the amp which is missing inside the sub?