Instrument Cluster Problem [VIDEO]

wrightyrx7

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an Audi 1.9TDI (2009)

I posted a thread in these forums a few week back about my dash/instrument cluster not coming on in cold weather. Which isn't disabling the Immobiliser which causes the car to cut out as soon as it starts.

Later in the day when the car has defrosted (4-5 hours) the car starts absolutely fine.

I have had the car scanned with VCDS by a member of these forums (once it was up and going) by Aidy06 (Which he did for some beer token which I'm grateful for). Which came back with no errors.

I have been advised to check 3 things.
  1. The grounding points near the 'C' pillars (if anyone knows exactly where these are located this would be great)
  2. Two relays 'Terminal 15' and 'Terminal 30' (I have been told these will be behind the dash on the drivers side)
  3. The circuit board on the Instrument Cluster
So the main reason for this post to see if anyone know or can provide me with instructions to removing the Instrument Cluster.

But if anyone has any other suggestions that would be great too.

I have made a video that might also help.

Any help is appreciated.
Kind regards
Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Drop the steering wheel down by using the lever underneath.
Pull on the plastic right in front of the binnacle, that exposes two bolts.Remove the bolts and swing the binnacle to reach the rear to release the connector.

Drop the steering wheel down by using the lever underneath.
Pull on the plastic right in front of the binnacle, that exposes two bolts.Remove the bolts and swing the binnacle to reach the rear to release the connector.

Thank you, didnt think it would be that simple.

Reactions: LEE69
Any fuses gone in the dash end? under the bonnet?

looked or took them out and used a meter? I got caught out once thinking one was ok and it was gone, won't make that mistake again lol

lol i looked. But surely if a fuse had gone the car wouldnt work all the time. When the car defrosts its fine, works like normal. Its stressful trying to figure it out :scared2:

Ahh sorry yeah, really weird electrical fault, my guess is a joint some where :/

Have you checked your battery is providing enough voltage.

Reason I say this is my S3 8L was sat for two weeks without starting, I went to start it and the immobiliser wouldnt allow the car to start (kicked over but wouldnt run), but the heater controls lit up and worked OK.

I paired up a battery from my other car whilst it was running, left it for 15 mins, then the car was able to start. Worth a try.