3.2 Back box Flap Mod Activated

I

imported_S_Line

Heard that there is a flap in one of the two tail pipe on a back box on the 3.2

So when it was on the Rollers ( yesterday) New Figures coming soon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I Asked the Tuner to have a look at the back box.

He shone a light inside the nearside tail pipe and there was a flap inside which was closed. So they tinkered a bit with it and now its open all the time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Got to admit there's not a massive difference but there is a slight bit more base on lower revs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif which is Nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So Rolling road Figures.............

The Tuner has just had new software installed and wanted to test my car again as last time we had rather high ( 261 BHP and very low 208 LBS Torque)

This time its better and where it should be.

with 250 BHP and 251 LBS torque

Low down torque is read far better now with 220 LBS at 2000 RPM /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif and peak torque at 2750 RPM /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

very pleased and the new software is consistent with the Helix Quattro system which is what the aim was.

Think you'll find that flap is to give back pressure at lower revs to increase torque... so you probably given yourself less low down grunt by doing that.

Cant notice any difference in the low down torque to be honest, and i do love the low down torque /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

aye, I suspect it's the same as the new lotus elises'.

a solenoid opens the second exhuast after a certain rev limit.

That's the baffle flap, there for keeping the noise down (or so i'm told).
There was a whole load of info on this about a year ago. It opens using an air tube connected to the back box. People were using freezer bag clips to stop the tube from using pressure to close the flap.

[ QUOTE ]
Think you'll find that flap is to give back pressure at lower revs to increase torque... so you probably given yourself less low down grunt by doing that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bullsh*t!! The flapper is there purely for noise regulation. Flapper open, there is a very, very slight torque GAIN below 3000rpm.

People have also used aquarium solenoids to open/close the flapper, with a dash-mounted switch. There must be about 1,000 pages of this on the www.vwvortex.com R32 forum.

Personally, I'd never go back to standard pipes: the Millteks are perfect.

Got to Say its got me so Close to a Milltek exhaust now, i just love the v6 engine noise, i want to hear more ! MORE !!

Oh dear its started /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif i thought i had done well, a whole year with not one mod on the car, and now.......... looks like a Milltek /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif is on the cards.

Yep had a look and theres a litle pipe leading to the nearside tailpipe which i presume opens / shuts the flap.

[ QUOTE ]
Heard that there is a flap in one of the two tail pipe on a back box on the 3.2

So when it was on the Rollers ( yesterday) New Figures coming soon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I Asked the Tuner to have a look at the back box.

He shone a light inside the nearside tail pipe and there was a flap inside which was closed. So they tinkered a bit with it and now its open all the time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Got to admit there's not a massive difference but there is a slight bit more base on lower revs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif which is Nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So Rolling road Figures.............

The Tuner has just had new software installed and wanted to test my car again as last time we had rather high ( 261 BHP and very low 208 LBS Torque)

This time its better and where it should be.

with 250 BHP and 251 LBS torque

Low down torque is read far better now with 220 LBS at 2000 RPM /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif and peak torque at 2750 RPM /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

very pleased and the new software is consistent with the Helix Quattro system which is what the aim was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did'nt you also do the back to back with the S3 on the same rollers and Day a while back?

That would make the S3 even MORE impressive, as I recall it had quite an advantage over the 3.2

yep thats correct, as others will say, the 4wd system on the A3 is a pain to get a exact power meassurment on the rollers.

This is one of the reasons the New Software was installed to the rollers.

The New software can get the reading far quicker and a lot less load on the car is now possible.

5th gear was used on this run

heres the graph

graph2_152.jpg

S-Line, you should have gone with the Millteks right from the beginning: you'd have nejoyed them all along!

Although: SuperSprint are about to release their System for the 3.2....

Just sent Supersprint a Email for some info /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Not sure about the sound on the A3 3.2. I've heard some SS pipes on R32s, and the sound was a little "racier", i.e. less mellow than Milltek. I liked it.

When speaking with SS at Essen, They said "full system early 2006"... Please let us know if they respond to your email.

"Full system" is: cat-back, (res or non-res), sport cats, and headers. Headers have shown minimal gains on a std 3.2, but with remap & intake, it might be worth it. With a supercharger, I'm sure the benefits would be substantial.

havent had anything back from the email yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Was out in the car this morning and it seems to have a power surge at 2000RPM, something i didnt notice before. So not sure if this Flap mod has upped the low down power or not, Looks like Another run ont he rollers to find out.

I have always noticed a surge of power at just over 2000 rpm in all the 3.2s I have driven (4 of them - manual and DSG). Totally standard cars and just thought it was a characteristic of the engine. Buggers everything up on the odd occasion when I am trying to drive smoothly though as it suddenly lurches forward with real urgency giving the impression of an overly heavy right foot.

I agree with Rob: that's just the way the 3.2 is, whether it's in an A3, TT or R32.

The flapper mod makes very little difference on the R32, and almost none on the A3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did'nt you also do the back to back with the S3 on the same rollers and Day a while back?

That would make the S3 even MORE impressive, as I recall it had quite an advantage over the 3.2

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going back on saturday morning to trial the new software too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going back on saturday morning to trial the new software too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

mmm thats true, has Clive contacted you Matt, heel do a run for free mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Give me a shout and ill pop down as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

See you in the Morning mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

S3 versus 3.2 Part Deux !!!

now this is just typical. Whenever anything cool like this comes along locally, I can't go. And it's always down to one person aranging something else... her indoors. She must be ****** psychic or something. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

****** /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

You far away ?

about 10 minutes... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Think I followed you into work on Thursday MadW....completley off topic ! Sorry !!
See you in the morning Brian

Matts was about he same give or take 1 or 2 bhp and torque.

Mine was up on the torque ( another thread i put the new graph up)