• 1 Post By leeds2592
  • 2 Post By Jason-3.2
  • 1 Post By DeckedS3
  • 1 Post By A3Kent
  • 2 Post By Muzza80
  • 4 Post By Ash187
  • 1 Post By Brodster
  • 1 Post By Brodster

Thread: I was considering a rear wiper delete but...

1st Gear

Status

I was considering a rear wiper delete but...

I really like the blanked off look a the back, I had it done to my Mk4 Golf and never missed the wiper. However does anyone else find that the A3 (I have 8P) creates a whole lot of spray on wet/damp roads? I find that even after a good wash the front/sides stays relatively clean depending on conditions but that the rear becomes boggin even in just damp. Has anyone done the delete that could share whether they miss being able to clean the back window when needed?

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    Tint the rear. Mine is so dark i cant see out of it anyway so it wouldnt matter if it was clean or not.

When I grow up, I want a 964!

Status

My Social Networking

Visit leeds2592's Instagram Channel
    Can always dewiper then put a rain repelent on the window such as RainX or similar.
    Sidhu88 likes this.
    Black 2007 2.0 FSI Sport
    2011 Glossy Black RNS-E |AP Coilovers | 18" 7 Spoke OEM BE Alloy Wheels | H&R Trak+ Spacers 8mm (Front) 12mm (Rear) | MY11 Rear Lights | S Line Spoiler | Retrofitted MFSW | Retrofitted Cruise Control | Interior LED Light Pack | OEM LED Numberplate Bulbs

1st Gear

Status
    Has too be done !! Looks soo much better 👍

5th Gear

Status
    i have rain X on my back window, i still manually use my rear wiper,

and yes SOO MUCH SPRAY gets on mine, i dont even know how it gets under the spoiler BUT IT DOES
    05, A3 8P 2.0TFSI Quattro

When I grow up, I want a 964!

Status

My Social Networking

Visit leeds2592's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ.Foulds View Post
    i have rain X on my back window, i still manually use my rear wiper,

and yes SOO MUCH SPRAY gets on mine, i dont even know how it gets under the spoiler BUT IT DOES
    Loads of products out there that are better than RainX but just suggested that as it's readily available and easy to apply but may not be the best if you still have to use your wiper.
    Black 2007 2.0 FSI Sport
    2011 Glossy Black RNS-E |AP Coilovers | 18" 7 Spoke OEM BE Alloy Wheels | H&R Trak+ Spacers 8mm (Front) 12mm (Rear) | MY11 Rear Lights | S Line Spoiler | Retrofitted MFSW | Retrofitted Cruise Control | Interior LED Light Pack | OEM LED Numberplate Bulbs

5th Gear

Status
    i still have to use my wiper caus of the spray, my front screen with rain X works great, dont even need wipers on after 50mph with rain. but my back gets soo dirty its unreal, im not sure if its caus i dont have sline bumper or anything like that :/
    05, A3 8P 2.0TFSI Quattro

Short Back

Status
    I expect it's a combination of the tyres lifting the sh*t off the road, along with the shape of fat the rear end creating a low pressure zone, commonly known as Drag.

big-bum-2nd.jpg
    Last edited by Artimus; 11th November 2013 at 16:43.
    2009 A3 SB 2.0T DSG S line
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

P R N D S

Status
    Am i the only one here that thinks removing the rear wiper is a rather silly idea?

Neutral

Status
    Removed mine as it stopped working, regularly use Rainx but still gets dirty pretty quick, don't miss the wiper though

1st Gear

Status
    I like my rear wiper, when mine packed up I replaced it in double quick time. Driving home at 2 in the morning on the motorway I don't spare the horses and I like to know who's following !
    wuta3 and Toomanycars007 like this.

Boycie

Status
    Dewiper - the rear of the car looks so much better without it - done it with my last 2 A3/S3

1st Gear

Status
    Is this easily done? Iv had my a3 since Thursday and it's doing my head in already especially when it automatically comes on when reversing! Lol

Neutral

Status
    When my wiper motor packed up i replaced the arm with one from a mk5 golf, looks loads better and gives a stubby appearance

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jphc View Post
    Am i the only one here that thinks removing the rear wiper is a rather silly idea?
    I'm with you on that!
    jphc likes this.

Meteor S3, APR Stage 3, APR HPFP, Milltek TBE, LOBA/Sach's Clutch, Bilstein PSS10's, H&R ARB, Gen4 Haldex PP, EVOM's DV & CAI, Forge TB with Pro-Alloy IC, BBS CK 19" My S3

Different Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DeckedS3 View Post
    I'm with you on that!
    Likewise. There's nothing worse than not being able to see much out of the rear window!
    jphc likes this.
    09 Audi A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-Line SB 8P3
    - Full Leather - LED DRL's - BOSE - Cruise Control - RNS-E Mk2 - AMI - Bluetooth - Folding Mirrors -

VCDS owner - A3 Grille Install Guide

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BradV6 View Post
    When my wiper motor packed up i replaced the arm with one from a mk5 golf, looks loads better and gives a stubby appearance
    Was everything the same apart from the actual wiper arm?
    My wiper has snapped so looking to replace the whole arm.
    Just looked and Mk5 arms are cheaper than the normal A3 ones..
    2005 Audi A3 2.0 TDI DSG S-line (8p1)
    Mods: 18" Gloss Black RS4's - 8p2 S-line Front Bumper - Black Grill - A5 LED Number Plate lights - LED Sidelights - Euro Style Plates - EGR Delete - RTech Custom Remap - Hot Start Issue Fix
    Pipeline: Lowering, Wheel Refurb, Coming Home Lights

2007 VW Golf 2.0 GT TDI 140 (Wife's)
    Mods: 18" Charlestons

Neutral

Status
    I dewipered mine, looks a million time better. My advice would be to buy one of these, like I did! Halfords | Laser Ball Joint Separator Cup The pressure required could smash your back window if its badly seized. Be sure to get your self one of these, comes with cleaner and glue. Heckwischerabdeckung aus Glas - Glaskappen / Stopfen von gecleant.de - Heckwischerabdeckung, Blindstopfen, Kappe, Glasstopfen, De-wiper, Plug, Grommet, Cap

Paul

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by J8TT X View Post
    Was everything the same apart from the actual wiper arm?
    My wiper has snapped so looking to replace the whole arm.
    Just looked and Mk5 arms are cheaper than the normal A3 ones..

Well I went to a scrappy and found a perfect condition wiper motor in an estate mk4 golf for £25 quid (the guy was aware of the common problem so that was his price) and the wiper arm was of course from the mk5 golf. All fits and works fine and had no problems. Can get a pic up if anyone needs it.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jphc View Post
    Nope you're not, why the hell would you want to remove the rear wiper on any car?? It's there for a bloody reason lol
    jphc and Phil-1 like this.

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks for all the replies! The removal is purely for aesthetic reasons, I just like the blanked off look alot. I'd have taken it off when I first got the car but I began to realise that it was coming in pretty handy quite often as like I said I noticed that the back window was rarely ever clean! So i'm trying to balance functionality with vanity at the minute lol, the water jets arn't working either so if I can fix those easily it will probably stay (for winter anyway!). Otherwise I'll get a ball joint separator (thanks for the advice PW), take it off and get some RainX or something similar and see how that goes for a while.

Cheers again for the advice/opinions.

3rd Gear

Status
    Just try rainx now and don't wipe it.... I've got rainx on my rear window but I still use the wiper regularly. It's particularly bad on the roads at the moment as they've started to grit them and it kicks up crap from about 45mph. After 5 miles on the motorway in the wet you can't see much detail through the rear window without a wipe.

Meteor S3, APR Stage 3, APR HPFP, Milltek TBE, LOBA/Sach's Clutch, Bilstein PSS10's, H&R ARB, Gen4 Haldex PP, EVOM's DV & CAI, Forge TB with Pro-Alloy IC, BBS CK 19" My S3

Stop me

Status
    It would be like driving a van!! No thanks
    2006 A3 2.0TDI 170 S Line Mauritius Blue
    Bluetooth | RNSE | MFSW | BOSE | DRL | Xenon Plus | Half Leather | Heated Seats | Parking Sensors

4th Gear

Status
    Rear wiper never worked on mine so i've never missed it. I do have issues with standing water and rearview vision if i haven't cleaned the car in a while but i use rain-x so seeing through rain is no issue and for everything else i keep glass cleaner and some microfibres in the boot. I rarely find myself having to clean it though, saying that my car gets a clean weekly with rain-x applications after each clean
    2006 Audi A3 2.0 TDI S-Line 8P2 PD170 - Dolphin Grey Metallic - The problem child
    1994 VW Golf VR6 - Mystic Blue - The money thief
    VCDS User

Audi Retrofitter

Status
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent

My Social Networking

Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    I always use the rear wiper... Prob an OCD thing but I don't like any marks or crap on the rear window. When I use the rear window washer I watch the rear for drips and try to catch them so my rear window is clean! Lol
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Lights Pack

MODS:
    S3 facelift, 19" RS6, RS3 Grill, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, S3 brakes, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

Items for Sale
    Read My Blog & Build Thread

I want your faulty electronics

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash187 View Post
    I always use the rear wiper... Prob an OCD thing but I don't like any marks or crap on the rear window. When I use the rear window washer I watch the rear for drips and try to catch them so my rear window is clean! Lol
    How do you cope with the nice clean arch where the wiper is but dirty and wet rest of the window?

I don't think a rear wiper is really needed.
    If you keep the car clean and your rear heater work you'll be ok.

Vans, trucks and saloons do ok with no rear wiper.

New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

Audi Retrofitter

Status
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent

My Social Networking

Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    Like this?

Im fine with that
    ScottD3, Artimus, nezz and 1 others like this.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Lights Pack

MODS:
    S3 facelift, 19" RS6, RS3 Grill, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, S3 brakes, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

Items for Sale
    Read My Blog & Build Thread

Shark Performance In Scotland

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Brodster On Twitter Add Brodster on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottB5 View Post
    I don't think a rear wiper is really needed. If you keep the car clean and your rear heater work you'll be ok.
    Hmmmmm totally disagree with you there Scott. If you live in a city and do an average of 20mph then yes I can see no need for a rear wiper. You've been to where I live mate and in this weather if you didnt have a rear wiper it would be impossible for you to view anything out of the back window..........countryside = fields = ignorant farmers that trail half the field onto the road.
    immo likes this.
    Angelwax/BBS/BCS/Bilstein/Cobra/CTS Turbo/DTUK/H&R/K-Sport/KW/Loba/Milltek/Shark Performance/Oz Racing/TPI/VCDS/V-Maxx/Vossen/Wagner

I want your faulty electronics

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodster View Post
    Hmmmmm totally disagree with you there Scott. If you live in a city and do an average of 20mph then yes I can see no need for a rear wiper. You've been to where I live mate and in this weather if you didnt have a rear wiper it would be impossible for you to view anything out of the back window..........countryside = fields = ignorant farmers that trail half the field onto the road.
    Side mirrors work?

My rear window was **** high by the time I got to Loch Ness but I gave up using my rear view mirror when I got to the border.
    I've never really relay on my rear view mirror that much. I've spent most of my motoring time in/on vehicles with out them, so not having one never really bothered me.
    Plus good set up side mirrors should be just fine.

I guess it comes down to what each person is happy with and what they use to.

New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

Shark Performance In Scotland

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Brodster On Twitter Add Brodster on Facebook
    Each to their own buddy. Washed my car yesterday and it lasted all of 5 miles today......its minging now so its impossible to keep clean with the state of the roads as they are. I feel very strongly about imposing fines to those that bring half their fields onto the roads.........and being a biker aswell but bikeless I would hate to be confronted with whats left lying about.
    ScottD3 likes this.
    Angelwax/BBS/BCS/Bilstein/Cobra/CTS Turbo/DTUK/H&R/K-Sport/KW/Loba/Milltek/Shark Performance/Oz Racing/TPI/VCDS/V-Maxx/Vossen/Wagner

5th Gear

Status
    Mine hangs onto the boot lid proper annoying but useful as i have oil in intercooler until i fit my s3 intercooler, depending on what it actually smokes like i might delete as well. Also mine is tinted dark around the rear windows just one shade lighter than limo i think
    A3 2.0TDI FWD sportback with GT1756 250.3bhp 336ft lb, forge boost hoses red, milltek decat system, BMC panel filter, golf gti edition 30 full front brakes brembo pads, black honeycomb grill, full oem s line kit + cupra r lip, LED side lights, OEM xenons, LED interior lighting, LED A8 number plate lights, boost gauge, alloy catch can with red hoses, FBSW, windows tinted, de-badged, now on air ride with chassis notch BBS CH

2nd Gear

Status
    Never used my rear wiper, don't like the scratch marks it leaves with wiping all that crud across.

My daily drive is a van with no rear windows so can't say I miss trying to look out of it, when I remember I can see out!
    54 8P2 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI BKD - Shark stage 1 - EGR delete - Dolphin Grey

Neutral

Status
    Keep the wiper.

Reverse Gear

Status
    I'm de-wipered and use rainX with no problems at all. Better than a half working wiper!

Neutral

Status
    might be a stupid question but is there a kit or something that would provide everything to de-wiper, or what would be the procedure for taking it off??
    Current Car: 8P Audi S3 Facelift - Standard... For Now!