Bkd s3 intercooler install any tips ? Amd can i do it at home ? What hoses ???

TDI140

Reaction score
I bought myself a goft yesterday on ebay which i will be paying for on monday and should recieve next week, just wondering if theres any tips on how to fit it and should i use the s3 hoses or my silicone forge hoses to make the cooler fit ?
And is there any guides on fitting to an audi a3 as i found out for a leon a while back but now i cant find it again

thanks

Did you i stall yours yourself ? And did you use many tools ? Or are they mainly straight forward ?

check the fins when you get it a lot are rotted and turn to dust like stuff when touched

Intercooler rotting ?? Never knew that happened, ill check it closely when i recieve it

Install is pretty straightforward. Just make sure you got a buddy to help you (especially taking the bumper off!), saves time and makes it easier. Bumper off, lights out, intercooler installed, light on, bumper on. Its all plug and play basically. Takes about 2-3 hours.

Appreciate help pal, did you notice gains as soon as you stareted driving as darkside developments say car revs much better as soon as you drive it with the s3 cooler on

It won't pull any better under normal circumstances (i.e. mild weather 20 degrees) with stock ECU (no tune). However, if you on Stage 2 or higher you might feel a tiny difference in torque and some claim increase in HP on dyno.
The reason why I personally went for an upgraded intercooler was the extreme weather here in Australia with temperatures in the high 20s and above 30 most of the year. I noticed considerable loss of torque and power with outside temps rising over 25. It was all good in 15-20 degrees winter though. With the intercooler I don't notice any loss of power anymore even when pushing hard.

I don't feel any considerable increase in HP or torque though to answer your question.

Ill be dynoing the car after install and egr delete then will be remapped to run 1.85 bar as i have hybrid turbo so should notice a gain

I'm a close friend to ah fabrication, with pushing higher hp the cooler won't gain you hp as said and give no noticeable gains unless you big hp..... My cosworth only saw a more noticeable lower sustainable temps when I switched to a garrett bar and plate one but that was because I'm up 600hp odd. It saw temps reach 5deg above ambients where as other were upto 10-12....

As the other guy said upgraded coolers never give power it's only noticed if used on track or under constant boost where temps will rise..... So effectively you'll just have more stable temps but no gains at all in day to day use....

Reactions: martinivw
yep the fins in between the bars rot I have seen two that when I touched the fins just like a soft stroke the truned to a grey dust. its not rust as it aluminium but its corroed

I found with my mk4 golf that had a fmic s3 one andhard pipe kit that the throttle response is better crisper and it pulls better. with hard pipe kit and all metal fmic there is less flex and movement with the boost going through I feel that this makes a very good improcvemnt overall on the car

I will eventually be getting the darkside development hard pipe kit

when i fitted fmic to mine it gave me more lag so disconnected it i have heard unless your running 300bhp the standard intercooler is more than capable

Reactions: martinivw
What do you mean the turbo kicked in at later revs ? Or took longer to spool up ? Also what boost are you running on your turbo ? My plans is to achiever 230bhp-235bhp with this turbo and then hard pipe kit from darkside developments and then its time to get the front end of my car sorayed due to someone scuffing the bumper whilst it was parked up in birmingham

when i fitted fmic to mine it gave me more lag so disconnected it i have heard unless your running 300bhp the standard intercooler is more than capable

+1....

Generally, I'd say it does not make too much sense upgrading the intercooler if you are running under 250HP in a cold/mild climate zone (my personal opinion, however there are many threads about this, e.g. no improvement or increased turbo lag where people without Stage 2 upgrades felt the turbo kicking in slower). The intercooler in the TFSI A3s (and I expect the TDI A3s to be equipped with the same ones) generally should be more than able to cope with power outputs of up to 230-250 HP in normal climate and under normal day-to-day driving.

I wish to fit it as it will be good for the turbo and will help it in the long run to survive longer, also when i have it fitted il dyno it with current remap to see if any changes such as inlet manifold tempratures etc, will get egr delete done before running higher boost remap

If i make 230bhp-250bhp at 1.85bar ill be upgrading injectors

fit it im sure as you plan to mod it more it will help in the long run
im suprised you didnt go for bigger turbo as i thought and i could be wrong that the gt1756 as a hybrid was maxed out at about 240 250 ish and doing injectors woud give you minimal gains for huge chunk of buck with that turbo fitted
dont get me wrong im not knocking you just picked up some of this info along the way to tuning mine

Injectors are out the question at the moment id rather it be running safe high power and have it driving perfectly than tuning it more and making the engine strain, i needed turbo replacement fast and darkside couldn't send me a turbo next day and turbo dynamics had a hybrid stage 2 they had just made and could send it the next day so bit the bullet and went for that its a great turbo so i cant be bothered to change turbo now as its a lot of hassle and very expensive, ive seen pd130 ibiza's running TD turbos and bigger injectors madive 270bhp+ theres been a few for sale on ebay with dyno graphs
but like i said just want to fit this intercooler and get hard pipe kit later on

Reactions: flying oyster
I have a PD 170 intercooler to fit to mine as these use the same conections as s3 pipes . bought it cheap £35 delivered so had to get it.
am planning on the darkside pipes next year only doing it as I don't like the standard pipe work which makes boost leaks .

1756 making 250+ equals a bang and gone gone turbo. u need a bigger turbo 20 or 22

After reading that ^^ i will just be installing intercooler and boosting remap and egr delete then no more performance mods

Lol dont want another turbo to blow up sepcially not a hybrid

I have a 170 and just had dpf, egr delete and few other bits and a remap to suit and no idea on hp but must be 220ish,, tbh it's fast enough I don't see why your after more??? Mine's just started to suffer clutch slip so I'll have to look for a better clutch are you on oe clutch??

I have a 170 and just had dpf, egr delete and few other bits and a remap to suit and no idea on hp but must be 220ish,, tbh it's fast enough I don't see why your after more??? Mine's just started to suffer clutch slip so I'll have to look for a better clutch are you on oe clutch??
addicted to torque lol thats why not loads more just increase the map on my hybrid turbo and see what cane be done just have a play around a little

Should buy a EVO then :p.... Reply to my thread on clutches if you have input :)

I have standard clutch still lol, evo i want full mpg aswel as some power