JMB RetrofitsAH Fabrications
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By S3_Jacko

Thread: Noob question (heated wing mirrors)

1st Gear

Status

Noob question (heated wing mirrors)

Hi

Noobie Audi owner (2010 A3 TFSI 2.0 S-line S-tronic) I seem to have a 3 position knob for the wing mirrors, if I read the book right if you push the knob up (center) should activate the heated mirrors, dont seem to work, no light comes on, the book mentions about being dependent on outside temperature?? does that mean they only work in freezing weather?? evan my old Mondeo use to heat the wing mirrors to get rid of due /water beading, any advice would be welcome

Cheers

J

2. # ADS
    ADS

Different Gear

Status
    Hi there

You are correct about the position being pointing upwards and centrally but don't expect any lights or indicator to tell you they are on. I have a 2009 A3 and mine do clear the due, did it this morning and it's not that cold, yet! Are you allowing enough time, they are pretty quick to work in fairness. I guess both sides aren't working? Could be a fuse?
    09 Audi A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-Line SB 8P3
    - Full Leather - LED DRL's - BOSE - Cruise Control - RNS-E Mk2 - AMI - Bluetooth - Folding Mirrors -

VCDS owner - A3 Grille Install Guide

1st Gear

Status
    A3Kent thanks for the reply, I may of been a bit hasty this morning and not gave then enough time, I live down a dead end street so had to reverse down the road I guess thats why I noticed it as I am a big wing mirror man when reversing down a street with cars either side and I was struggling to see in the mirrors, I will try again later and give it time to see if they clear

J

JS3
    1st Gear

Status
    As above - leave the mirror adjust switch centred and the heated mirrors activate automatically without a light or anything. And as mentioned they are dependent on outside temperature too. Guess the heated washer jets are the same too (if you have them).
    2010 S3, Sprint Blue, S-Tronic, RNSE, Cruise Control, Interior Light Pack, Upgraded LED Interior Bulbs, Heated Seats, Hill Hold, Boot Buddy, Fog Turn Lights, Revo Stage 1, De-Wipered

1st Gear

Status
    I keep finding something new on it every day lol the user manual is very sparse on some topics, I guess this is the best place to come to gather information, Please dont laugh but......head light washer jets, are they hidden or on view on the bumper, I have seen some cars that a little flap opens squirts then closes lol I said dont laugh

07 170 DSG

Status
    Mine cleared at 8 deg today fine when it's in the middle you have to move the knob forward to activate the heat.
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

Short Back

Status
    The heating element can be adjusted for time based deactivation or completely disabled with VCDS, so if yours aren't working that should be the first thing you look into. The default setting is 10 minutes heating.
    2009 A3 SB 2.0T DSG S line
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Just turn on the rear demister to activate them manually if you want to test.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

1st Gear

Status
    Cheers guys

Will try that NHN

5th Gear

Status
    Headlight washers are conceled in the bumper... 2 small squares... Even though pretty much all bumpers have the plates, not all cars have the headlight washers... Get someone to stand outside the car and have a go... Dont forget though, the headlights have to be on for them to activate
    Audi history... Brilliant Red 2.0tfsi Quattro, Sprint Blue S3...

Drive safe, stay alive.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3_Jacko View Post
    Headlight washers are conceled in the bumper... 2 small squares... Even though pretty much all bumpers have the plates, not all cars have the headlight washers... Get someone to stand outside the car and have a go... Dont forget though, the headlights have to be on for them to activate

yep yep, this is them in action! finally got the video working lol

Fast, Free Video Hosting & Video Sharing - VideoBam
    Last edited by sliced; 15th October 2013 at 20:26.
    Current: 8P3 '59 2.0 TFSI 3DR S-Line | Adaptive Bixenons with DLR's | Folding electric mirrors | Heated half leathers |
    Previous : '06 2.0 TDi Sportback in Dolphin Grey| SE | DSG | Satnav | Privacy glass | auto lights | comfort pack |

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3_Jacko View Post
    Even though pretty much all bumpers have the plates, not all cars have the headlight washers.
    That's not true tbh, 8P only has the washer holes/covers when the system is actually fitted, it may have hole markings inside the non xenon bumpers, but they're not cut out.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    That's not true tbh, 8P only has the washer holes/covers when the system is actually fitted, it may have hole markings inside the non xenon bumpers, but they're not cut out.
    Yeah that was what I was talking about nige... except my terminology was blanking plates lol... I was just going with mine, when I got my car they weren't working and the bumper looked the same as my old 2.0tfsi except that never had them... the way I tested was just to put a flat head in the side and see if they came out... was newbie then and still consider myself a semi-noob now, fixed them when I changed the grill tho so all good
    NHN likes this.
    Audi history... Brilliant Red 2.0tfsi Quattro, Sprint Blue S3...

1st Gear

Status
    Heated wing mirrors work just take a while to get going lol, I have (Blanking plates) in front bumper so need to go out and see if I actually have the head light washers

Cheers

J