Top marks to Audi Roadside again

• Thread starter imported_Skywalker
  • Start date
I

imported_Skywalker

Got in the car to leave work at 5.10pm yesterday. A couple of minutes later the engine management system light came on. Car was running fine and my first thought was /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif, a trip to the dealer. Then I thought I'll see if Roadside come out to things like this. Called them on my way home and they said they would have someone there within the hour. I got home at 5.35pm and the doorbell went five minutes later. It was Roadside! The same bloke that had been to see me several times to replace coilpacks on my old car. He plugs in his vag-com thing and it diagnoses a faulty engine temperature sensor. He searches in the back of his Allroad for a spare but he didn't have one. I said not to worry I would go down to the stealer in the morning (what I had tried to avoid by calling them) but he said no need, I'll be here the same time tomorrow with the part, its only a two minute job, it'll save you an hour an the dealers.

Now that is service! Top marks to Audi Roadside once again. It is the fifith time I have used them and they have been great every time.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif

I was out last Saturday (new years eve), when the glow plug light came on. Phone Audi assist, came round to my house within 2 hours, diagnosed as a faulty sensor on the flywheel, but could not get the fault to re-occur. He told me if it came back to give him a ring and he would arrange for the car to be picked up and a courtesy supplied. Sunday it went again. True to his word, hire care arranged within 2 hours (it was new years day!) and my car collected Tuesday.

I pick it up today

Excellent service

I agree with "top marks for Audi roadside they were there within two hours" and "it's the fifth time i've used them"

Can you imagine the owner of a Lexus saying he had called "Lexus roadside" or whatever they have five times? I personally think it goes to show just how poor Audi cars are becoming, my last A3 spent over 5 weeks in two years at the dealer, if this one is the same it WILL be bye bye Audi for good.

One thing, and its not meant to spark and nasty comments but why did you buy another if the last one was so bad?

I'm hoping after a long line of Audi's that the last one was just a "one off" I've looked elsewhere in between but can't find anything I like better, I don't like the BMW 1 series. the wife does'nt like the Merc hatch and a Lexus is probably too big for her, but if this latest one is as much hassle as the last (I don't think the dealer helped either) that WILL be that, and I shall have no option but to change marques, I don't expect it not to ever want anything, but there are limits!! At the moment I am VERY pleased with the latest one, maybe the 2.0FSI was also a bad car because of that hideous engine, I've had some cars in my time, but that was the oddest 150hp I have ever owned, absolutely gutless (I suppose I had better duck after saying that!)

I test drove a 2.0FSI before buying my current 2.0TDI as I thought it would be a direct replacement for my 1.8T Sport. I agree with you completely - absolutely gutless.

The other times that I used them were all for coilpacks. This was a problem not specific to VAG cars as the coilpacks were manufactured by Bosch.
Incidentally, the Roadside bloke told me that all new models from the "new" A6 onwards have moved away from German electronic components. The A6 electrics are supplied by a division of Hitachi. He said that he had yet to be called out to a fault on a A6. Says a lot really!

John - makes sense, kind of agree with you on the other marques offerings at the moment too

good luck with this one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with "top marks for Audi roadside they were there within two hours" and "it's the fifth time i've used them"

Can you imagine the owner of a Lexus saying he had called "Lexus roadside" or whatever they have five times? I personally think it goes to show just how poor Audi cars are becoming, my last A3 spent over 5 weeks in two years at the dealer, if this one is the same it WILL be bye bye Audi for good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the point, I'd rather have no problems, hate to go on about the jap thing but, my dad's lexus is now 8 years old and NEVER missed a beat in nearly 100,000 miles servicing ain't cheap but no worse than audi. Another mate with an IS200 did 80,000 miles in two years, no problems again.

My S3 must have had around £10,000 spend on it in two years to keep the ****** thing on the road! great customer service is nice to know, however I think I'd rather have a better product and no customer service!

Yes, but I've personally owned 5 Audi A3s. 4 were (8L)1.8T Sports and now an (8P) 2.0 TDI with a toal mileage in the region of 150,000 and the only problem I've had was coil packs on one car. That was fixed very quickly and efficiently by Audi On-Call.

Apart from that one problem the only time any of the cars has been to the dealer is for routine servicing.

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, but I've personally owned 5 Audi A3s. 4 were (8L)1.8T Sports and now an (8P) 2.0 TDI with a toal mileage in the region of 150,000 and the only problem I've had was coil packs on one car. That was fixed very quickly and efficiently by Audi On-Call.

Apart from that one problem the only time any of the cars has been to the dealer is for routine servicing.

[/ QUOTE ]

YOU LUCKY B@STARD!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

I know people will always have good experiences and bad, and the common things like MAF and coilpacks are not even made by Audi - but still I can't help thinking they could do better!

Have to agree, I owned two 8L A3's, no bother at all from service to service, I also have a 95 Volvo T5 estate, Koni's,Eibachs, later 19T turbo, full Ferratti? (Sweedish Miltek!) exhaust, chipped to about 300hp and it's covered 190,000 miles, mostly quite hard, In 190,000 it has had (besides consumables oil,pads,discs etc) 2 outer C/V boots, exhaust andTurbo as above, and a steering rack, does it get regular services? er..no. does it break down..er..no, any annoying shock rattles..er..no, door rubber noises..er.. you get the picture !!! It's not the nicest car, or indeed the nicest car to drive I have ever owned , but it certainly is the best built one, and that includes a slack handfull of 911's as well.......

Customers always voice complaint, especially on forums as it is a speakers corner. So you do see plenty of negative comments, you also have to remember how many cars that manufacturer has on the road.

15 people complaining about folding mirrors, might mean 250 people complaining to dealers, out of 5,000 cars with them fitted.

When I had the Lexus I used to hang around on the Lexus Owners club board and you get exactly the same thing … ‘can’t believe a prestige brand can make /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif alloys and we put up with it yada yada’

When they do a good job are we are happy – silence.

Tangent over

that is a valid point, its also one of the things where you but a ford/vauxhall/any french car and things rattle or break then it is almost expected, however any german car goes wrong then its the end of the world.

i've had more than my fair share of cars for my age and so far the a3 is one of the better built ones, the second VTEC Honda I had spent over 2 months at the garage for repeated problems with the drivers door and drivers seat but i wouldnt say "All Honda's are rubbish"

Our Sportback 2.0TDI is the seventh car I've ever owned in nearly twelve years of driving, and in the 14 months since delivery and a modest 11,000 miles, the car's been perfectly reliable. Not even a bulb blowing.

Of course, that's scant use to someone here whose A3 has been in and out of the dealers. But remember the 2.0T in Booster's car is still relatively new and it can take years for these faults to be finally sorted out at the factory. I'm sure that by the time the 2.0T is ever decommissioned, it'll be next to faultless.

The main reason Lexus and other Japanese-built machinery is so reliable is because they work closely with their part suppliers to develop products, rather than European manufacturers who will specify a product here with a supplier, and then try to screw them over the price.

Roadside blotted their copybook: He didn't turn up until 5.35pm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Job done!

This is my third Audi, and first problem. I do belive in giving credit where it due.

Audi A3 2.0tdi Sport Sportback lots of extras

Personally,in a world full of options,I don't believe in giving anything a second chance.

If I get food poisoning at a restaurant,I don't go back.

If my TV breaks down,I buy another make.

Same with cars.

I just wish other manufacturers would start offering 4wd with sensible engine options,as I would really like 4wd in my next car.
VW/Audi are still the only manufacturer offering 4wd outwith the high-performance models.

Why the likes of Jaguar,for example,don't offer it on their 2.2d x-type (when you can have it with the 2.5 petrol) is beyond me.

If you go through life expecting everything to be perfect and never to break or have a fault you are going to end up very disappointed with life.

I think the car that never ever breaks down or has a fault has yet to be invented.

The main thing is how the problem is handled when it does occur. Audi Roadside are an excellent example of how it should be done.

Well said David, I totally agree !, I have had Audi's for 4 years now and had to call out the Audi Roadside Assistance twice about 3 years ago on my A3 1.8T. Both times the arrived very quickly were very professional and quickly identified the problem (HT coil both times had gone, causing engine misfire) and had the parts to fix it very quickly....Awesome !!!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I think the car that never ever breaks down or has a fault has yet to be invented.

The main thing is how the problem is handled when it does occur. Audi Roadside are an excellent example of how it should be done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry,but I don't agree.

Faults that give you inconveniences are one thing,but literally breaking down and leaving you requiring roadside assistance is inexcusable in any car,never mind a premium one.

Saying that Audi's roadside assistance is excellent is just looking for the good in a very bad situation.

No doubt everything you do in whatever job you do is done perfectly, every day with absolutely no mistakes or errors anywhere along the line.

My car did not break down it's just rather than take the car to the garage for them to book an appointment blah blah blah I thought I will drive my car home, (both times was not far from home when the fault occurrer) and call out roadside asistance......none of this take it to the garage first sir etc etc, no it was.... no problem sir they can be with you soon.....sat feet up watching the TV until they arrived shortly later.....as I said before.....great....
Bowfer why are you always so negative about everything !!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif You hate DSG, you hate well....seems to me AUDI....may be it's time to buy something that will give you some enjoyment.....

[ QUOTE ]
No doubt everything you do in whatever job you do is done perfectly, every day with absolutely no mistakes or errors anywhere along the line.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell kind of argument is that ?

To err is human.
Cars ain't human,despite stylists attempts to give them 'smiles'.

If you think breakdowns are acceptable,that's your lookout. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Bowfer why are you always so negative about everything !!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Give me something to agree with and I'll agree with it.
For example;

Is the A3 a nice looking motor ?
Yes,I think it is (some may not)
Are the S-line wheels bonny ?
Yes,they are.
Would Britney get it ?
Yes,she would.

However,with reference to this thread,to actually stick up for a car breaking down by saying "yeah,but they're roadside assistance is good" is just unbelievable.

(you'll note I'm ignoring the DSG bit as it is not applicable to this................................................................thread..sorry,bit of DSG delay there) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
If you go through life expecting everything to be perfect and never to break or have a fault you are going to end up very disappointed with life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't agree more...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Go buy a ****** Lexus (I have never met an owner in real life with a bad story) and see if your still saying that or even a honda (unless your unlucky - have heard some bad stories)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Too true, a somewhat wiser man than me once said "I'd like all of our products to have just one fault that's not too serious so we could impress the customers with how quickly we can fix it, then you'll get a customer for life because they've experienced the worst"

I think it's good for you to congratulate Audi Roadside on good service few people do, however I think it's bad you've had to call them so many times! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Unfortuately Bowfer, cars are built by a combination of Robots and Humans and as you say to Err is Human.

Who can say if every single worker in every single component factory and on every single assembly line in the whole of the Audi empire always does his or her job perfectly. It quite possible that if one of them does not, it may be something simple but the simple thing may cause a car to break down.

If that happens, along come Audi Roadside to sort out the problem.

I've spent some time watching the workers on the A3 line in Ingolstadt and whilst they all seem to take great care and pride in what they do I'm sure there not perfect - Which is why I ask - Are You in whatever you do - never make a simple mistake - perhaps in what you do it makes no difference to anyone and no one will ever notice.

<font color="black"> Another interesting thread this -

for the record, I never makes mistakes, everything I do is 100% perfect /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

to be fair, it is quite a well known fact in any service industry that a company really shows its worth in how it handles affairs if things go wrong, in this case you cannot argue with audi roadside. Which I believe was the point of the thread.

I agree with David here, the car that never goes wrong has never been invented, the same goes for most other complex products on the market, so the comment
</font>

[ QUOTE ]
To err is human.
Cars ain't human,despite stylists attempts to give them 'smiles'

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, as put by David, someone somewhere told a computer what to do when building something, so there will always be the human element.

[ QUOTE ]
Faults that give you inconveniences are one thing,but literally breaking down and leaving you requiring roadside assistance is inexcusable in any car,never mind a premium one.

Saying that Audi's roadside assistance is excellent is just looking for the good in a very bad situation.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you're out on your own here, Bowfer.

Money is no guarantee of quality whatsoever and you have no right to expect it to, either. Everything is fallible. Just because a major airline buys a brand new aircraft for hundreds of millions of pounds does not mean it won't fall out of the sky. A luxury mansion can still subside. A Bugatti Veyron can still snap a cambelt.

If any failure is totally inexcuseable by you, I suggest you sell your Audi now and buy a very late Japanese-built Toyota Corolla instead.

[ QUOTE ]
I suggest you sell your Audi now and buy a very late Japanese-built Toyota Corolla instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

But don't drive it as it will redefine the boundaries of boring.......

Gentlemen

This thread is ridiculous.
I have to jump to Bower’s defense here.
A car that needs roadside assistance in the first two years of its life is not suitable for purpose. Yet car manufacturers have you guys brain washed into thinking it is. Otherwise you would not be making all these excuses.
How many of you keep your cars beyond the guarantee period? It's not so funny then when you are left by the roadside.
Also if any of you did your own repairs you would by now have realized that VAG cars are not any more reliable than the completion.
It would not be so bad if fair wear and tear items were designed to be easily replaced but not on VAG cars.
Just check out Elsawin and you'll see what I mean. For example, to replace an ignition switch you have to remove the airbag and the steering wheel just to get access and that's just one example.
Let's face it you buy an Audi for its status and the overall driving experience. The manufacturer knows that only too well. They know they can get away with having us pay through the nose for everything because we are all so naive.

[ QUOTE ]
Gentlemen

This thread is ridiculous.
I have to jump to Bower’s defense here.
A car that needs roadside assistance in the first two years of its life is not suitable for purpose. Yet car manufacturers have you guys brain washed into thinking it is. Otherwise you would not be making all these excuses.
How many of you keep your cars beyond the guarantee period? It's not so funny then when you are left by the roadside.
Also if any of you did your own repairs you would by now have realized that VAG cars are not any more reliable than the completion.
It would not be so bad if fair wear and tear items were designed to be easily replaced but not on VAG cars.
Just check out Elsawin and you'll see what I mean. For example, to replace an ignition switch you have to remove the airbag and the steering wheel just to get access and that's just one example.
Let's face it you buy an Audi for its status and the overall driving experience. The manufacturer knows that only too well. They know they can get away with having us pay through the nose for everything because we are all so naive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nicely put! I feel however that part of the reason is Audi have probably gone down a cost saving route with suppliers, I also suspect they have gone down that road too far now and will backtrack slightly, they can not afford this type of publicity, Merc build quality was crap a couple of years back and is now getting back to where it should be, I suspect similar reasons

Wish I'd kept my gob shut now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.
Cars will always go wrong. Fact. I was impressed, as always by the efficiency of Roadside. I thought I'd make the point. That's all.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, it would appear that Audi are addressing the situation by sourcing components from other manufacturers.

You were right to make the point Booster. It's not often that good service is given these days and it's good to praise it when it does happen.

You are correct - Cars will always go wrong. Some more than others. Anyone who thinks differently is, in my opinion, living in cloud cookoo land. If anyone wants to buy the most reliable cars currently available - then buy Japanese. If you want a reasonable compromise between style, status, quality of interior, materials used etc etc then buy an Audi.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But removing the Air bag and steering wheel is a 2 minute job which also means you have better acces to the column...

[ QUOTE ]
If anyone wants to buy the most reliable cars currently available - then buy Japanese.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry,but I find this attitude incredible.
Reliability should be the first thing anyone looks for in a car and no-one should have to make excuses for any car by saying "yeah,but if I wanted reliability I would have bought a Japanese car".

That used to be the sort of thing Alfa Romeo owners said,saying problems gave the car 'character',but they've been striving to get away from that for years.'Character' doesn't cover it when you're stranded at a roadside in the piddling rain.

Reliability should be such a pre-requisite that it doesn't even come into the equation.

The only thing I would say David,is that you're commenting from the viewpoint of someone who hasn't suffered many/any problems with your Audi.

Perhaps if you had,you wouldn't be so quick to jump to their defence and excuse problems.

I wonder if you'd be so philosophical about a breakdown if you were carrying friends to a dinner party in your 'premium' car,perhaps showing off the wonderful (cough) DSG to them,as the engine warning light comes on and you coast to a halt...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

My failure was due to an electronic sensor. I work in Aerospace Electronics. We literally spend day’s lifeing the controllers we manufacture to get rid of early life failures which are inherent in electronic components. If Audi did this the component price would make the cars unaffordable. We sell Engine controllers for approx £750K.

I didn't realise you could call Roadside out for ECU lights on! I've jsut booked mine into Taunton Audi for Sat morning. Not complaining tho, cos the service I got over the phone was top notch. Also said that if I service my car there and leave it for the day, I'll get a courtesy car too... Always handy that I work in Bristol... I heard from a mate that Audi Bristol won't give out courtesy cars for anything that takes less than a day and also need to book up 3weeks in advance!
Taunton Audi here I come!
H

It is a good point that even when someone says how good something is, in this case the roadside assistance, everyone is quick to bleat on about premium, blah blah, never go wrong, blah blah, should be better, blah blah, mines worse than a 1970's cortina,

As i've said before, even the myth that lexus/japanses cars never go wrong is total hogwash, anyone who states this as fact is lying