How to best treat DSG and some general questions

RyanB88

Reaction score
Hi all, I appreciate anyone that takes the time to answer my questions,

Car = A3 2.0 TDI DSG

How is best to treat this gearbox? In stop start traffic should you leave it in drive or put it into neutral? How long should it be left before changing?

Also do you have to be at a complete stand still in order to change from Drive/Neutral/Sport? Or are you able to change these when moving without causing any damage? Any other info will be helpful. I read somewhere ages ago about holding both paddles down together and it resets to learn your driving style or something?

One final annoying thing about the gearbox is that when the engine is cold I try to keep the revs below 2000, unless driving like an absolute grandad the car likes to change at around 2500ish which is too high when the engine oil is still cold, have to use the paddles to tell it to change earlier haha.

Absolutely love the car and perfect for my commute though

Thanks in advance

One final annoying thing about the gearbox is that when the engine is cold I try to keep the revs below 2000, unless driving like an absolute grandad the car likes to change at around 2500ish which is too high when the engine oil is still cold, have to use the paddles to tell it to change earlier haha.

Typical, mines the same.

Normally leave in D in traffic.
You can change from D to S at any time, or into neutral, but don't grab P while you're moving AT ALL! You'll smash the parking pawls.

R goes without saying, stationary or rolling back...

It adapts to your style of driving constantly. If you've been booting it, it'll hold the gears longer, but if you're just pootling around, it'll change up at about 1800 (or use the paddles.)

Last edited:
I love how S mode is soooo different to D, really shows them off at the lights lol tyres chirped today ooopsy

If the lights are changing to red i put it in neutral and coast, learning a hill start in it was fun

I really need new tyres on the front of mine, some nice Michellins will do. Need payday first though!

Thanks for the tips guys. I love DSG :)