Monster MotorsportAH Fabrications
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Staz
  • 1 Post By VAG_BADGER

Thread: Heated seats not getting very hot...lukewarm if anything

Neutral

Status

Heated seats not getting very hot...lukewarm if anything

Hey folks, now that the colder weather is starting to come the heated seats will be used, but I have noticed, on level 6 they do not really go hot at all, in fact, they seem to go to a certain temp then just either turn off or just stay barely hot, then sometimes they might get hotter (but still nowhere near how hot 6 should be)

I think the passenger side pretty much does the same, so the elements would be unlikely? Do they have any kind of thermostat as it would seem like its a sensor issue telling it its hot when its not...?

Its a 2010 model A3 TDI 170

2. # ADS
    ADS

Drive safe, stay alive.

Status
    my a3 ones dont seem to get that hot either!

Ive had warmer ice creams if im honest
    Current: 8P3 '59 2.0 TFSI 3DR S-Line | Adaptive Bixenons with DLR's | Folding electric mirrors | Heated half leathers |
    Previous : '06 2.0 TDi Sportback in Dolphin Grey| SE | DSG | Satnav | Privacy glass | auto lights | comfort pack |

1st Gear

Status
    Mines the same, I took them to audi and they came out with the usual bulls@@t its designed to stop the sears warping! Then I explained the hire car they gave me had really hot seats to which they had no answer. But they didn't do anything.

Neutral

Status
    My brothers A1 has two settings and you won't leave it on the high setting for too long as it's really toasty - also does right between the shoulder blades which is super.
    New technology and all that and guessing the latest A3 will have a better hotter system installed than the present one?

Neutral

Status
    It's strange, the seat warping talk is definite BS, I had heated seats on my MK5 Golf and they were hot, in fact, on the highest setting you would need to turn them down after about 5-10 minutes unless it was REALLY cold, I also noticed that,

If changing to setting 6...It goes warm, then literally will stop, but if I turn it off to 0 then back up to 6 it might go a bit hotter again the time after... Which is even more bizarre!

It has to be a software setting if so many of us have the same issue, I reckon they have toned down the heat levels, I wonder if VCDS gives access to those kind of settings?

Rennie > Shouldn't matter on car age, the theory remains the same, heating elements in the seats, the only thing might be they may be more efficient ie heat up faster in the newer cars but even that I doubt, as essentially it's just thin wire.

Neutral

Status
    Strange really given sometimes they barely feel like they are on, no update on this guys? Can the seat temp settings be changed via VCDS?

is a retronaut

Status
    Mine are redders!
    batch and davc like this.
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

Neutral

Status
    Seems to be Post 2009 models only with the problem mate, mines a 2010

Ricers in the rear view!

Status
    VCDS give live data on the seat temps. We just had an A4 in with a sensor fault. It essentially gets to a set temperature and turns off, it then switches back on when it drops below 5c below the set temp. The temp sensor had failed in this one and was showing too high on the live data so was switching off when still cold. Check the data and see what she's saying.

VB
    sliced likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    As above they should be roasting, I can't stand anything above 3.

Neutral

Status
    Really? To me there is no point in level 1-5 and level 6 gets mildly hot occasionally but still not as hot as other cars i've owned (Golf GTI MK5 / Leon FR etc)

Put it this way, you could put it on level 6 and leave it on there for a 30 min journey and not need to turn it off...!

What blocks do I need to look for in VCDS to measure the seat temps? And are the sensors built into the seats or elsewhere?

Drive safe, stay alive.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveyClark View Post
    Really? To me there is no point in level 1-5 and level 6 gets mildly hot occasionally but still not as hot as other cars i've owned (Golf GTI MK5 / Leon FR etc)

Put it this way, you could put it on level 6 and leave it on there for a 30 min journey and not need to turn it off...!

What blocks do I need to look for in VCDS to measure the seat temps? And are the sensors built into the seats or elsewhere?
    i always leave mine on 6 lol
    Current: 8P3 '59 2.0 TFSI 3DR S-Line | Adaptive Bixenons with DLR's | Folding electric mirrors | Heated half leathers |
    Previous : '06 2.0 TDi Sportback in Dolphin Grey| SE | DSG | Satnav | Privacy glass | auto lights | comfort pack |

Ricers in the rear view!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveyClark View Post

From memory it's the central electronics module. Just scanned down the advanced measured values until I saw it. Gives a spec temp & current temp for both sides. Also where roller wheel is positioned. My 09 S3 feels just as hot as my 57 did. To the point where it's too much anywhere past 3. It's all personal preference though.

1st Gear

Status
    I've complained about the heated seats before too, they're not that good. The hottest setting 6 on my S3 is like the lowest setting on my old Z4.
    S3 Revo Stage 2+
    Milltek Non Res-ITG-Autotech HPFP-Loba SMF

is a retronaut

Status
    A few years back someone posted a thread about their heated rear seats not being hot enough. They took the car into Audi and it turned out that there had been complaints about the temperature of the rear seats being too high for kids so Audi modified the controller to reduce the output.

I wouldn't be surprised if they had done the same with the fronts now too. I've never had mine on higher than 4 because my bum would burn.
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

1st Gear

Status
    Mines an 07 and the heated seats are red hot on anything above 4, haven't checked the rear heated seats though.
    Audi A3 2007 2.0TDI 170 Quattro S-Line Sportback, fully kitted

Drive safe, stay alive.

Status
    Odd thing, When my old man uses my car, he goes its burning hot! I'm probably just used to all the heat lol

Neutral

Status
    I went into measuring blocks and measured group 021 - heated seat driver

and group 022 - heated seat passenger

It looks like its for LHD cars, as it thinks the driver side controls are the passenger controls...Anyhow...

Temp. (act)
    Passenger G345

39 degrees

It then fluctuates to 38, now it seems to be dropping down to 35 , 34, 33, 32,31,30,29,28,27,26

Literally after about a minute or so of 38/39 degrees it is dropping down now, it is dropping down a degree about every 15 seconds,

Surely it is supposed to stay at 39 or thereabouts until I decide to turn it down?? No wonder it goes hot and then cold! I have not touched the dial, it is on 6 and has stayed on 6.

Temp (spec)
    Passenger (g345)

39 degrees

It doesn't feel that warm though, could someone with a 2008 or earlier model, please check on VCDS what it says next to (Spec) as maybe you have a higher spec temp?

But that definitely seems wrong, should it be dropping down so low?? Its now on 23.. and barely feels on, turning it off now and heading back inside as freezing lol!

I even just now tried turning the wheel to 0, then back to 6 and it has done nothing, it still stays at 23 degrees now it's not moving up nor down!

Audi Retrofitter

Status
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent

My Social Networking

Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    Wow on older cars no 6 is 64 degrees! I can't turn mine up above 4 as it gets too hot.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Lights Pack

MODS:
    S3 facelift, 19" RS6, RS3 Grill, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, S3 brakes, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

Items for Sale
    Read My Blog & Build Thread