Overly sensitive throttle response with 3.2 DSG.

idm67

Reaction score
I bought a 1 year-old 3.2 DSG Sportback a couple of months ago and am very happy with it. The one thing that annoys me is that the throttle is extremely sensitive when initially setting off in either forward or reverse. I love the throttle response when driving normally but it can be embarassing to start off by almost kangaroo hopping down the road. And manoevering in confined parking spaces can be a bit dodgy too. I tend to get used to it and don't have too many problems after the first occasion (either that or it's just worse when cold).

What I'm wondering is if this is normal or if it is potentially the result of some sort of remap? Or is it just a feature of DSG?

I don't think that it is just my leaden foot because a few of my friends have driven it and they've thought the same thing.

Does anyone with a 3.2 DSG have the same problem, either with a remapped engine or with an untouched one?

Cheers,
Ian.

i think it's just a feature of DSG and the fact that you have a 3.2 in a hatchback. My manual 3.2 was crazy in 1st, it was like trying to pull off in a formula go cart!
My GTI DSG is also bad as the DSG tries to maximise the level of torque being delivered without slip. The only thing to do is go easy on the throttle, and wait for the DSG clutch to engage (remember it's not a normal Auto box, it's an automatic version of a manual box, if you get me!). If you just gun it from standstill, often the revs will build and the clutch will suddenly engage, and you'll bolt off like a stallion with a hard on! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have a 3.2 DSG and i get this aswell. Its much worst when you have just starting up and the engine is still warming up.

Its always fun first thing in the morning, even worse when your in a tight parking space.

I have the same 3.2 DSG and its really bad when Cold.

In traffic it can be a bit jerky, but over time you learn the throttle position to pull away smooth, it takes time mate but the dsg is really fantastic once learnt how to use it best. Its taken me about a year to properly master the DSG system.

I'm just so pleased with it and have no quibbles at all

It does what i supposed to do.
If you want to poodle about then select D
If you want to burn about the city trafic - select S

If you want control and fun Go Manual /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Its Instant Power from Tickover and that's what i love about it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Even using the Launch Control its not far off from just flooring the the throttle from tick over !

[ QUOTE ]
i, often the revs will build and the clutch will suddenly engage, and you'll bolt off like a stallion with a hard on! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

thats spot on mate !!!

Thanks for all the replies. It's reassuring to hear that it's normal.

Now that I know it's ok then I don't really mind putting up with it because that same throttle response is so much fun the rest of the time.

Makes me wonder what the improved throttle response of these engine remaps are like though (although I'm more interested in conventional rather than stallion horse power... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

Does the car not roll slowly when you just engage D or R? I tend to let the cars own momentum do the throttle control when parking etc, and then just very gently apply the throttle when pootling in traffic, but I suppose a 3.2 is a different kettle of fish altogether, lots of potential up front, so I suppose more tricky, but if it does move by itself in D or R, that may be enough to let you get the slow manouvering stuff done at least.

Same here,

I just let it creep for parking etc, no throttle required.

But you're right, you do need to adjust your right foot to be super sensitive and you'll soon learn that precise throttle control is how to get the best from a DSG.

[ QUOTE ]

If you want control and fun Go Manual /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a little thing,but "control" is really the wrong word for the manual mode.

Audi themselves use the words "influence gearchanges" in manual mode.I noticed this on their website the other day and it's the first time I've seen an honest appraisal of the manual mode.

You don't have 'control' because the car will still change down and up for you at certain revs,whether you want it to or not.

Splitting hairs or arguing over semantics maybe,but it's a valid point.

[ QUOTE ]
Same here,

I just let it creep for parking etc, no throttle required.

But you're right, you do need to adjust your right foot to be super sensitive and you'll soon learn that precise throttle control is how to get the best from a DSG.

[/ QUOTE ]

When selecting reverse it is the only time I'm really aware that the DSG isn't equipped with a conventional fluid driven torque convertor - you can feel the the multiplate clutch slipping as you creep back. Those of us that are familiar with motorcycles should be even more aware the sensation is familiar.

There is a very fine dividing line between the amount of throttle pressure to required to achieve the 'slipping' affect and the fully engaged and moving quickly stage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif.

Something I notice with my 2.0FSI is that there seems to be a gap in revs between idle and the lowest revs you get when slowly pressing the accellerator. It kind of jumps from 850rpm to around 1100 rpm. This makes it difficult to drive very slow smoothly. I can imagine that this sort of behaviour will manifest itself in a very strong way on a DSG where you can't use the clutch to smooth out slow driving. DSG just kicks in and probably does it after the revs have already jumped up to at least 1100 or 1200 rpm. If you also have a very strong engine like the 3.2 then this effect will be even stronger.

It seems to have a feature that from tickover, and you select Drive, the car edges forward, even if its uphill the car will automaticly privide more momentum to climb the hill with no throttle. Its takes second to adjust but manuvaring about my gravel drive with a slope half way up, it needs no throtle at all.
Its so easy and relaxing, in and out from Drive and reverse /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The 3.2 engine and drive by wire throttle was always panned in the R32 for being too sensitive, my R32 certainly was. My 3.2 manual is just the same as my R32 was, its difficult to be smooth in first gear .........
I think it comes with the car ......