Quattro's and replacing tyres

manor13

Reaction score
Hi, I pick up my a3 quattro today, the garage mot'd it and noticed a bulge in one of the tyres so they replaced it. this is my second 4 wheel drive car of sorts the first being a 92 plate Cav GSi 4x4 now when i changed tyres on that you had to do at least the opposite one or all 4 tyres so has this changed with more modern cars like the Haldex quattro? the other tyres depths are 5mm if that makes any difference

Hi, I pick up my a3 quattro today, the garage mot'd it and noticed a bulge in one of the tyres so they replaced it. this is my second 4 wheel drive car of sorts the first being a 92 plate Cav GSi 4x4 now when i changed tyres on that you had to do at least the opposite one or all 4 tyres so has this changed with more modern cars like the Haldex quattro? the other tyres depths are 5mm if that makes any difference

It's good practise to change them both at once i thought.
When I bought mine 2wd it had the same on the Front and 2 different on the back and it felt fine, no probs with handling.
I'm sure it'll be alright, but it just means ur going to have to change the other one at a later date.
At least u don't have to worry about the transfer box expense with the Cavy 4x4 lol

I'd replace in matching pairs across front or back. Ideally stick to same brand and model all round. Put 2 new fronts on and move 2 decent existing tyres to the rear as the Quattro has a front wheel drive bias so they tend to wear faster than the rears.

unfortunately I dont have any choice now, removing the front bumper and put full lock on to get access to some screws and spotted a nail in the tyre luckily not the new one, new ownership cost mounting up lol.

Sorry to hear about ur find.
On the plus side at least u know ul have 4 new tyres :)

I only ever change 4 at a time on the S3.
Swap fronts to back at circa 6k then they are all worn out at roughly the same time.
When I say worn out, I mean 3mm.
I don't let them go any lower than that.

Why no lower than 3mm? Legal limit is 1.6!
If it makes the op feel better ive had 8 punctures this set of tyres. I also swap front to back and replace 4 at a time although im not 4wd ive also owned a car with cav turbo drive train and got into the habit then.

Tyres at 3mm have 25% better grip over tyres at 1.6mm in the wet. As our weather is either wet or wet it does make a difference. :)

Reactions: vivalacoulter
I also change mine at 3mm the is very good practice, the police change their tyres on patrol cars/vans at 3mm also, so this says something. :) better to be safe than sorry.

I also change mine at 3mm the is very good practice, the police change their tyres on patrol cars/vans at 3mm also, so this says something. :) better to be safe than sorry.

Agree with above with the 3mm.
The police don't pay for their tyres so u can't really compare it :p
Safety is the priority, u wouldn't walk down the street in holey shoes so why skimp on tyres lol :)

Reactions: davesimmo
Agree with above with the 3mm.
The police don't pay for their tyres so u can't really compare it :p
Safety is the priority, u wouldn't walk down the street in holey shoes so why skimp on tyres lol :)
yeah this is very true, can't compare it I guess but hey gives me an excuse to return the :moa: (childish but funny)