JMB RetrofitsAH Fabrications
Results 1 to 25 of 25
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By S3Alex
  • 1 Post By Dean_T
  • 1 Post By Granta

Thread: New s3 owner :)

  1. #1
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    134

    New s3 owner :)

    Evening all, picked up a 57 plate s3 with 45 on the clock in sprint blue. Very impressed with it so far although it is already back at the dealer as EML came on and has a lumpy idle, probably down to a dodgy coil but the dealer wants to take care of it so they picked it up today. Plans are a stage 1 map and TBE, milltek probably and see from there. Any members local to Surrey?

    Grant

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,320
    Welcome to ASN.

    I'm sure we can help you spend more than that!

  4. #3
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    134
    Ha ha I'm sure you guys can! I've just got out of a mk4 GTi 1,8T with a few mods and looks like the audi mods don't come cheap!
    can someone please e plain different stages?
    my understanding stage 1 map
    stage 2 TBE map & new diverted vale & clutch
    stage 3 turbo, fuel pump and intercooler?

  5. #4
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,320

    New s3 owner :)

    Some tuners such as Revo call the HPFP upgrade Stg2+.

    Either way that amounts to around 360 bhp and the uprated pump maintains midrange torque.

    A big turbo upgrade is costly and above 440lbs torque you'll need the engine rebuilt as well.

  6. #5
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    134
    Great thanks for the help. Is it recommended to change the diverter valve at stage one? What year/dates did the s3 come out with the revised items?

  7. #6
    RedDejavu's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bracknell
    Posts
    1,453
    10 plate onwards I presume
    Be patient. English is tough.

    Now:

    61 Audi S3 BE S-Tronic Ibis White: Build Thread.
    / Black Edition pack (SatNav, Bluetooth) / Parking Sensors / Tinted windows / piano inlays and finish / Cruise Control / Interior light pack /
    /Mods: REVO Stage 2+: Revo Intake / BCS Powervalve TBE system / LOBA HPFP / Crystal Clear H11 FOGS / Black roof + spoiler vinyl wrap / H&R Anti-roll bars / Superpro ALK /


  8. #7
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    134
    Oh right. Also can anyone tell me if they have had their ignition coils changed under a re-call?

  9. #8
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,320
    Quote Originally Posted by Granta View Post
    Oh right. Also can anyone tell me if they have had their ignition coils changed under a re-call?
    Still on the original coils here.

    No problems so far.

  10. #9
    Revo Steve-W's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Daventry, Northampton
    Posts
    204

    My Social Networking

    Add Revo Steve-W on Facebook
    Welcome on board & good choice of car!

    The guys to talk with in your area are The Phirm, drop them a line, I've attached their details below.


    | The Phirm


    As for tuning, this is where we start -

    Type
    Attached Images Attached Images

  11. #10
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,320
    What the S3 really needs is a bit more power and torque,and once you've had that done,it feels like a different car.

    Much more usable and responsive,and a better drive all round.

    I had mine mapped after a while thinking that it had a lot more to offer,and chose Revo for the support and upgrade path,and obviously a few years down the line,others can offer the same,but I'm very happy with what I've had,all the way from around 310bhp,to north of 500 now,and I think what did surprise me was how well the software has worked straight off.

    I'm sure as Steve said in another thread that the dealer has a lot to do with that,as I've had excellent service on that front,and the car has just got better every time.

    I'm hoping for more shortly!

  12. #11
    Dean_T's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    West Mids
    Posts
    518
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    What the S3 really needs is a bit more power and torque,and once you've had that done,it feels like a different car.
    Completely agree, even Stage 1 lights a bit of a fire up its backside and makes it a lot more fun.

    Also, because you have quattro it would be rude to stop at that point eh!
    Revo Steve-W likes this.
    Dean.

  13. #12
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    glasgow
    Posts
    125
    whats the 0-60 time around for a stage 1 remap? thinking of getting mines done n few months by APR

  14. #13
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    134
    Definitely up for a remap. And Quattro is the way forward as with the golf over 220 bhp and spins up. I have driven a stage 1 AMD s3 and was very impressed so will be getting it done when I get my car back

  15. #14
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,320
    Quote Originally Posted by Granta View Post
    Definitely up for a remap. And Quattro is the way forward as with the golf over 220 bhp and spins up. I have driven a stage 1 AMD s3 and was very impressed so will be getting it done when I get my car back
    Glad you feel that way too.

    Even though the Haldex isn't the same as a full torque sensing setup,it's pretty good at putting the power down,and gives a feel of what a full time 4WD system can do.

    Will you be having one of AMD's maps?

  16. #15
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    134
    What power are you aiming for/going to stop at Alex? Just making my way through yr build thread where Bouts are you based?
    thinking of getting an rtech map, do people rate them?
    S3Alex likes this.

  17. #16
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,320
    Quote Originally Posted by Granta View Post
    What power are you aiming for/going to stop at Alex? Just making my way through yr build thread where Bouts are you based?
    thinking of getting an rtech map, do people rate them?
    As far as I know,R-Tech seem well rated.

    You also need to look at Revo,Shark,APR and AMD,(which you've already tried),and pick whichever suits you best,as well as taking into account what's geographically suited.

    I'm within striking distance of Lakeside,which is one factor that drew me to AMDTuning,but I'd go there now if I was in Scotland,as I know exactly what I'm getting in terms of service and build quality.

    Power......a very good question.

    The limit without extra injectors,and a stand-alone ECU is around 580bhp,so once the head and manifolds are done,if I can get close enough to that,I'll be happy.

  18. #17
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    134
    I suppose your loyalty to them is like what I feel towards r tech. They did me well on the golf. I suppose it's what work you have seen and have had before which wins over your loyalty. They only thing being they are pretty far away but it makes for a nice drive home
    next time I'm in the area I wouldn't mind a to in your car to see what the s3 is capable of?!

  19. #18
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,320
    Quote Originally Posted by Granta View Post
    I suppose your loyalty to them is like what I feel towards r tech. They did me well on the golf. I suppose it's what work you have seen and have had before which wins over your loyalty. They only thing being they are pretty far away but it makes for a nice drive home
    next time I'm in the area I wouldn't mind a to in your car to see what the s3 is capable of?!
    Exactly.

    I believe in rewarding good work and service with recommendation and further work from myself.....equally so,if someone does a botch job,I'll let everyone know who to avoid in the future.

    One time,I took my Sierra Cosworth to what at the time was a very well known London based tuner,and being relatively new to this sort of thing,thought everything was OK,until I saw a head being rebuilt on a piece of cardboard on the floor,and that put me off a bit.
    A little later,when I needed a water pump urgently,I went to a chap with a very long racing history,and he showed me the "quality" of some of the previous work,including an exhaust that looked as if I'd welded it myself.

    Most companies nowadays work hard to get a good name,as the market is very competitive,and these guys have built me an excellent car,that I can drive every day.

    If you're ever around that area,let me know.

  20. #19
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    134
    I will let you know if I am in the area. Well got the car back this afternoon and nice to be back in it. They seemed to have resolved it as the idle is very smooth but I don't know exactly what has been replaced. Will call up tomorrow and find out. Also does anyone know if they make iPod adapters for iPhone to go in the glove box for the iPod connectivity? Can find any on fleabay

  21. #20
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,320
    Quote Originally Posted by Granta View Post
    I will let you know if I am in the area. Well got the car back this afternoon and nice to be back in it. They seemed to have resolved it as the idle is very smooth but I don't know exactly what has been replaced. Will call up tomorrow and find out. Also does anyone know if they make iPod adapters for iPhone to go in the glove box for the iPod connectivity? Can find any on fleabay
    Glad it seems to be fixed now.

    Still having a few issues with the fuelling on mine!

  22. #21
    Revo Steve-W's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Daventry, Northampton
    Posts
    204

    My Social Networking

    Add Revo Steve-W on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by SparkyMcA View Post
    whats the 0-60 time around for a stage 1 remap? thinking of getting mines done n few months by APR
    Type

  23. #22
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    134
    What's the problem with the fuelling on yours? well went round mine tonight and pretty happy with it, no broken springs or leaking shocks the only thing I'm not happy about is the rear diff oil seals seem to be weeping... There is a slight misting of oil where the drive shaft joins the diff, is this something I should be worried about or do they all do this?

  24. #23
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,320
    Quote Originally Posted by Granta View Post
    What's the problem with the fuelling on yours? well went round mine tonight and pretty happy with it, no broken springs or leaking shocks the only thing I'm not happy about is the rear diff oil seals seem to be weeping... There is a slight misting of oil where the drive shaft joins the diff, is this something I should be worried about or do they all do this?
    It's turning out to be a detective job.

    It was running rich for a bit before going in to AMDTuning for all of the booked work,and now that the turbo etc are all fitted,it runs,but still pops and bangs a bit,as well as an uneven idle and a tendency to stall.

    The MAF was dirty and has been replaced,the throttle body is clean and accepts adaptation etc,the lambda probe is fine,and so on.....
    What did turn up was the engine does not get over 70C,so it appears that the thermostat is knackered and the car is running rich,hopefully because of that alone.

    Fingers very crossed.

  25. #24
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    134
    Does sound like thermostat needs to be replaced. Personally I think it's something to do with the map as it runs rich now but on full boost will probably be alright. I drove an evo on about 500BHP (so I was told) and that had been up to rising sun performance in Leeds and that would stall if left to idle and had things like the maf mapped out out of the car and that ran horribly rich!

  26. #25
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,320
    Quote Originally Posted by Granta View Post
    Does sound like thermostat needs to be replaced. Personally I think it's something to do with the map as it runs rich now but on full boost will probably be alright. I drove an evo on about 500BHP (so I was told) and that had been up to rising sun performance in Leeds and that would stall if left to idle and had things like the maf mapped out out of the car and that ran horribly rich!
    I don't think it's anything to do with the mapping,as nothing has been changed on that since loading the Stg4 software a good while back.
    What's happened is something new relatively speaking,and running rich is a result of that.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Hi there new audi owner here.
    By jettaglxdriver in forum Classic Audi Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16th December 2003, 13:06
  2. New TT owner
    By kennylau in forum The Welcome Section
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 27th October 2003, 21:41
  3. New S4 Owner!
    By Legomaniac in forum A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20th September 2003, 23:06
  4. New A3 owner :)
    By V1RDE in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 18th September 2003, 15:01
  5. new s3 owner
    By squigly in forum The Welcome Section
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 30th July 2003, 09:48

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO