So finally got my car back... but is this normal? - Updated

Napbree

Reaction score
So got my car back after being in the garage for 4 weeks, final bill totalled £3023, about £2400 of that paid for by WarrantyDirect.

It's had a new clutch, new DMF (both the slightly uprated sachs version), rebuilt gearbox, crankshaft sensor and a few other smaller things here and there. Only 20k miles ago it had a top end engine rebuild, so it's effectively a new car now!

Three things I need to check:

1. The clutch is ridiculously light now, it bites nicely but it's really really light - mechanic assured me its because I was used to the worn out clutch + cylinder which was heavier (because it was nack'd)... The main issue though, is theres about an inch of play in the clutch pedal, it's really loose.. Question is, is this a big job to fix or do they have to take the gearbox out and re-do the clutch?

2. There's still noticeable vibration in the cabin when accelerating from around 65-75, this was one of the main aspects that I was looking forward too - it being whisper quiet with the new DMF, but alas no! If it's not the DMF what is it? Is the crankshaft mis-aligned / does it need a new bearing?

3. It now sounds like a bag of nails - see video, although I don't know if it does it "justice":

Thanks!

Nathan

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you feel the vibration in neutral and also are your wheels in balance?

There's a very very slightly vibration on the clutch pedal in neutral but nothing that screams unusual to me - and as far as I know the wheels are in balance - although if they weren't would the problem be there all the time and not in a specific area?

There's a very very slightly vibration on the clutch pedal in neutral but nothing that screams unusual to me - and as far as I know the wheels are in balance - although if they weren't would the problem be there all the time and not in a specific area?

The faster your wheels turn the more obvious the vibration would become due to poor balance if you drive on a smooth road like a dual carriageway and let go of the wheel you see it .

if you have had your clutch done i would assume it was the full kit including the release bearing/slave cylinder and was bled correctly I would drive it for a bit and see if you just need to get used to it again .

Also is it a Quattro ?

The faster your wheels turn the more obvious the vibration would become due to poor balance if you drive on a smooth road like a dual carriageway and let go of the wheel you see it .

if you have had your clutch done i would assume it was the full kit including the release bearing/slave cylinder and was bled correctly I would drive it for a bit and see if you just need to get used to it again .

Also is it a Quattro ?

It seems to fizzle out at about 80mph, i'll try your trick though - I did have the wheels swapped from the back to the front (for grip) so that may be it!

It was a 2 piece kit that I bought from eurocar parts (Sachs Audi | Euro Car Parts UK’s No.1 Car Parts Retailer and then I bought a slave cylinder as well, apart from that though there was nothing else changed.

It is indeed the quattro

Last edited:
Reactions: Glenno
Ok just don't put your hands behind your back or anything keep them close

Thats my disclaimer lol.

i would say clutch needs bleeding to fix peddle probelm i had the same when fitted a new clutch.

get wheels ballanced and see what happens

Will get that done - needs to go back in...

The car sounds like a bag of nails now, I know diesels aren't the quietest of engines but this sounds like a constant ticking noise and it's horrible.

I'm getting so ****** off :mad:@@@

Reactions: mozza1202
It seems to fizzle out at about 80mph

Try swapping the rears to the front and front to back see if that cures it.
80mph is the sweet spot for "driving through" un-balanced wheels

Last edited:
Okay so another a problem to throw into the mix, car feels like it's constantly rumbling slightly when it's on the motorway, checked tyres and they're fine.

Not got much love for the a3 atm :(

Okay so another a problem to throw into the mix, car feels like it's constantly rumbling slightly when it's on the motorway, checked tyres and they're fine.

Not got much love for the a3 atm :(

When you say rumbling that makes me think wheel bearing , your engine sounds normal to me in the video but might be different when beside it.