Monster MotorsportSky Insurance
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 41 to 80 of 114
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: S3 full car plastidip

  1. #41
    AudiMafia's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    403
    Quote Originally Posted by s3facelift09 View Post
    That's the general idea to change the color of a car in a day without a lot of fuss. That was the idea, but in my honest opinion I think that plasti deep is not for a car like an S3, or any other expensive car. R34nel can you put some more detailed pictures of the door knobs, edges of the doors etc? I'm from Croatia, and 2 months ago a guy that has an RS6 decided to plasti dip his car. The end result was a total disappointment, and I'll give you a link to the gallery of photos so that you can see how they wrecked the car.. The best people in Croatia (with years of experience and background)were involved in this, they did the work in perfect condition (chamber), but the end result was horrible, here's the link to the gallery..

    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8370996&type=3

    They said the problem was in the stuff, it's just not good enough. It could be good for cheap cars and owners who don't care much. But for more expensive cars like an S3 or RS6 it's literally light years away from a quality paint it should be..and like they say it is.
    The truth is that the people that have their cars dipped is those who have nice and expensive cars.

    As for a good results depends who is doing it for you and how it is mixed and where they bought plastidippin.
    A3 8P 2.0TDI 140 Sport | Blue | Full Leather Heated Seat | BOSE | 6 Disc Changer | None Smoking Pack | | Nav | Xenons |
    Mods | 18" Rotiform Staggered | Tinted Windows | S3 Spoiler | 2009 S-Line t Rear | Front Chin Spoiler | Wind Deflectors | Re-Map |
    | MY11 Lights | S3 Side Skirts | Private Number Plate | Milltek Exhaust | S Line Gear knob

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #42
    AudiMafia's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    403
    Quote Originally Posted by coreythorny View Post
    We want updates! Been thinking about doing this myself, torn between blue, green, orange or yellow!
    Im going blue, ordered it yesterday. Go for green it should look nice
    A3 8P 2.0TDI 140 Sport | Blue | Full Leather Heated Seat | BOSE | 6 Disc Changer | None Smoking Pack | | Nav | Xenons |
    Mods | 18" Rotiform Staggered | Tinted Windows | S3 Spoiler | 2009 S-Line t Rear | Front Chin Spoiler | Wind Deflectors | Re-Map |
    | MY11 Lights | S3 Side Skirts | Private Number Plate | Milltek Exhaust | S Line Gear knob

  4. #43
    coreythorny's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTheBoss View Post
    Im going blue, ordered it yesterday. Go for green it should look nice
    inclduing glossifier?

  5. #44
    AudiMafia's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    403
    Quote Originally Posted by coreythorny View Post
    inclduing glossifier?
    No just matte
    A3 8P 2.0TDI 140 Sport | Blue | Full Leather Heated Seat | BOSE | 6 Disc Changer | None Smoking Pack | | Nav | Xenons |
    Mods | 18" Rotiform Staggered | Tinted Windows | S3 Spoiler | 2009 S-Line t Rear | Front Chin Spoiler | Wind Deflectors | Re-Map |
    | MY11 Lights | S3 Side Skirts | Private Number Plate | Milltek Exhaust | S Line Gear knob

  6. #45
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    262
    Well the white went on this afternoon, tbh it was more of a pita than I expected, the white really does not want to cover! took me a long time and I wouldn't recommend anyone doing a dark car white, but damn the s3 looks so much better in white! there's 15 Ltrs and 9 coats on there now
    Audi S3 : revo stage 2+

  7. #46
    coreythorny's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by R34nel View Post
    Well the white went on this afternoon, tbh it was more of a pita than I expected, the white really does not want to cover! took me a long time and I wouldn't recommend anyone doing a dark car white, but damn the s3 looks so much better in white! there's 15 Ltrs and 9 coats on there now
    15l of white or white and grey?

    im liking this colour:


    or this but its custom

  8. #47
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    262
    White and grey, I like the blue and that would be my next choice
    Audi S3 : revo stage 2+

  9. #48
    coreythorny's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by R34nel View Post
    White and grey, I like the blue and that would be my next choice
    Would blue need a base coat? I know plastidip blue is quite light so maybe blue straight onto black would be a nice deeper colour like in the picture?

    5l be enough? Then I have no idea whether to add glossifier, metalizer etc

  10. #49
    LEE69's Avatar
    07 170 DSG

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    904
    Can we have progression pics please?

  11. #50
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by coreythorny View Post
    Would blue need a base coat? I know plastidip blue is quite light so maybe blue straight onto black would be a nice deeper colour like in the picture?

    5l be enough? Then I have no idea whether to add glossifier, metalizer etc
    Not sure about the blue, you don't have to use a base with white, I would probs lay blue straight on but I can't imagine anything covers like the black and grey
    Audi S3 : revo stage 2+

  12. #51
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by LEE69 View Post
    Can we have progression pics please?
    no sorry
    Audi S3 : revo stage 2+

  13. #52
    AudiMafia's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    403
    Quote Originally Posted by coreythorny View Post
    Would blue need a base coat? I know plastidip blue is quite light so maybe blue straight onto black would be a nice deeper colour like in the picture?

    5l be enough? Then I have no idea whether to add glossifier, metalizer etc
    I suggest 10ltrs altogether if you put blue on a darker car you would have a dark blue i like it but my car is already blue so i'll see what it comes up like
    A3 8P 2.0TDI 140 Sport | Blue | Full Leather Heated Seat | BOSE | 6 Disc Changer | None Smoking Pack | | Nav | Xenons |
    Mods | 18" Rotiform Staggered | Tinted Windows | S3 Spoiler | 2009 S-Line t Rear | Front Chin Spoiler | Wind Deflectors | Re-Map |
    | MY11 Lights | S3 Side Skirts | Private Number Plate | Milltek Exhaust | S Line Gear knob

  14. #53
    coreythorny's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by R34nel View Post
    Not sure about the blue, you don't have to use a base with white, I would probs lay blue straight on but I can't imagine anything covers like the black and grey
    yeah I do really fancy doing it.
    I reckon for £200-£250 I could do the whole car yellow or blue, wheels back and rear valance with glossifier.

  15. #54
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    262
    I deeply regret buying a black car, the 8p is a really nice shape which is hidden in black
    Audi S3 : revo stage 2+

  16. #55
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    262
    you will need a gun and don't forget a decent mask, this stuff smells 100% proof
    Audi S3 : revo stage 2+

  17. #56
    AudiMafia's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    403
    Quote Originally Posted by R34nel View Post
    I deeply regret buying a black car, the 8p is a really nice shape which is hidden in black
    lol and thank fok for the plastidip that you can change colors however you want
    A3 8P 2.0TDI 140 Sport | Blue | Full Leather Heated Seat | BOSE | 6 Disc Changer | None Smoking Pack | | Nav | Xenons |
    Mods | 18" Rotiform Staggered | Tinted Windows | S3 Spoiler | 2009 S-Line t Rear | Front Chin Spoiler | Wind Deflectors | Re-Map |
    | MY11 Lights | S3 Side Skirts | Private Number Plate | Milltek Exhaust | S Line Gear knob

  18. #57
    coreythorny's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by R34nel View Post
    you will need a gun and don't forget a decent mask, this stuff smells 100% proof
    Can get a mask free at work, will spray it outside also.

  19. #58
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    262
    You want a respirator, just don't use a paper mask
    Audi S3 : revo stage 2+

  20. #59
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    262
    Ill update this thread with pics tomorrow when I've removed the overspray
    Audi S3 : revo stage 2+

  21. #60
    coreythorny's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by R34nel View Post
    You want a respirator, just don't use a paper mask
    Yeah I've got one.
    Just to pick a colour now!

  22. #61
    s3facelift09's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTheBoss View Post
    The truth is that the people that have their cars dipped is those who have nice and expensive cars.

    As for a good results depends who is doing it for you and how it is mixed and where they bought plastidippin.
    Like I said, the best people in the business were involved, with 20 years of experinece, the paint was plasti dip UK original, they worked in perfect conditions, they painted the car in a chamber not in a driveway or back yard, I don't know what could be better, with hours of preparation, they gave up from the concept of a one day color change, because they wanted everything to be perfect, and the end result was total disappointment. The car looked great when you stood 9 feet away from it, it couldn't be better, like all the pictures of plasti dipped cars here or videos on you tube, all the photos or videos are taken from 6 feet away. Why does not anyone take a closer pictures of some parts; door knobs, door edges or other complicated parts. I don't think that cars like an S3 or RS6 deserve to look like that. The problem is in the paint. You just don't get the end result like it should, like it's supposed to be..

  23. #62
    JudderMan's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Newcastle Upon Tyne
    Posts
    751
    Don't mean to be a nancyboy but surely you have to notify the DVLA and your insurance company about the colour change? I haven't heard anyone say anything.

    Looks cool though, I'm tempted as I'm getting serious amounts of scratches and scuffs from being parked on the street, and it seems no one can park or walk past without hitting my car.
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport AUM K03S|Second owner|Forge 007p|CM TIP|Yellow Dogbone|Pipercross panel|Stage1Map
    WANTED: Audi A4 B7 or MK5 5Dr Golf GTi (manual)(Want to Buy December 2014 so Keep Me in Mind)

  24. #63
    coreythorny's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by JudderMan View Post
    Don't mean to be a nancyboy but surely you have to notify the DVLA and your insurance company about the colour change? I haven't heard anyone say anything.

    Looks cool though, I'm tempted as I'm getting serious amounts of scratches and scuffs from being parked on the street, and it seems no one can park or walk past without hitting my car.
    Pas its not a permanent colour change I'm 99% you don need to inform the DVLA. Insurance you would need to tell however, but I'm with Greenlight

  25. #64
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by s3facelift09 View Post
    Like I said, the best people in the business were involved, with 20 years of experinece, the paint was plasti dip UK original, they worked in perfect conditions, they painted the car in a chamber not in a driveway or back yard, I don't know what could be better, with hours of preparation, they gave up from the concept of a one day color change, because they wanted everything to be perfect, and the end result was total disappointment. The car looked great when you stood 9 feet away from it, it couldn't be better, like all the pictures of plasti dipped cars here or videos on you tube, all the photos or videos are taken from 6 feet away. Why does not anyone take a closer pictures of some parts; door knobs, door edges or other complicated parts. I don't think that cars like an S3 or RS6 deserve to look like that. The problem is in the paint. You just don't get the end result like it should, like it's supposed to be..
    some areas don't look perfect with plastidip but they certainly don't look bad, remember its only a temporary coating, if you want it to look perfect then get a resprayed and pay thousands, my door edges look fine, the only areas which aren't great are cut edges as when it tears to an edge it can look slightly frayed sometimes, if I wanted a factory like finish then I wouldn't be using a rubber dip or doing it myself, the average person wouldn't notice what you speak of anyway, it's only when you want to check out the finish of this car you have been told is plasti dipped
    NME likes this.
    Audi S3 : revo stage 2+

  26. #65
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    262
    Here is the result of the white! it's not finished yet though as I've got to do the strip at the bottom of the bumper and the grill in black aswell as the rear valance and possibly wheels

    nezz and Yolo_8p3 like this.
    Audi S3 : revo stage 2+

  27. #66
    coreythorny's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    425
    Looks great mate. Deffinately thinking about mine seriously.

    Im also thinking about Matt black again, not sure how a colour will come out. Will wait for e chap doing his blue and see how that comes out

  28. #67
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    262
    Cheers mate.

    If I were you I'd go for a colour rather than just matte black, I think blue would be a safe option and look good, I'd avoid the blaze colours if you are going to be keeping the colour change for a while as its widely know that the colours quickly fade
    Audi S3 : revo stage 2+

  29. #68
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    158
    What is the actual close up finish like? Is it like a orange peel or is it really just flat matt?

  30. #69
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    262
    it depends how thick you spray your coats, it's not glass like as it doesn't have any laquer, but it feels a bit rougher than paint with no laquer, the white sprayed on quite dusty I found and gives a less smooth finish than the gray did.

    the black I've sprayed from a can was quite smooth
    Audi S3 : revo stage 2+

  31. #70
    rOb_A's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    cheshire
    Posts
    1,485
    Quote Originally Posted by R34nel View Post
    Here is the result of the white! it's not finished yet though as I've got to do the strip at the bottom of the bumper and the grill in black aswell as the rear valance and possibly wheels

    any side shots?? looks good

  32. #71
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    262
    I don't at the moment, it's been raining here all day
    Audi S3 : revo stage 2+

  33. #72
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    129
    That looks awesome, I don't think (at least from the photos) that you need to paint anything else white - I love the contrast of the black, grey and silver on the white...

    Now i'm considering it... as my paintwork is fooked!

  34. #73
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by Napbree View Post
    That looks awesome, I don't think (at least from the photos) that you need to paint anything else white - I love the contrast of the black, grey and silver on the white...

    Now i'm considering it... as my paintwork is fooked!
    I'm not going to paint anything else white, but do the parts mentioned black
    Audi S3 : revo stage 2+

  35. #74
    LEE69's Avatar
    07 170 DSG

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    904
    That looks smart.

  36. #75
    coreythorny's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    425
    Did you paint this outside by any chance or inside?

  37. #76
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    262
    Outside, why?
    Audi S3 : revo stage 2+

  38. #77
    Ultra Violent's Avatar
    Sick & Wrong.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North o' the Border.
    Posts
    1,049
    Looks pretty sweet I must admit. Finish looks good from the front.
    I can see where the critics are coming from though.
    Would like to see some different angles and close up shots.
    I know its not going to be perfect, I'd just like to see some different pics.
    " Just because your paranoid, Don't mean their not after you " - Nevermind.

  39. #78
    coreythorny's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by R34nel View Post
    Outside, why?
    Just wondered as outside is where I'd have to do mine also, I know there's videos showing you can do it outside just wondered as yours looks to have come out good also

  40. #79
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    262
    Yeah it's not too bad outside but I felt rushed to get it masked and sprayed incase it rained, it stayed sunny throughout in the end
    Audi S3 : revo stage 2+

  41. #80
    Mr. B's Avatar
    English...not so good

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    944
    I did this as well with my replica, I only used 5L so didn't look as good as yours. White is a ***** to keep it looking decent. Lots of cleaning and touch ups. Took it off after 2 months. Still planning to do another sometime.


    Here is mine:


    Dipped whole car


    S3TURBS:


    FULL AUDI S3 PLASTIDIP !!


     


 

 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. quattro's in for a full service - check out my courtesy car!!!!
    By Richardesty in forum Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 25th August 2011, 08:51
  2. car shudders on full throttle and struggles to build up revs
    By Neesh in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 15th May 2010, 22:06
  3. Had a guts full of my car
    By tazzy baby in forum A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17th March 2010, 17:13
  4. Official Full-Car Press Photos of the TTRS Coup and Roadster
    By JohnC in forum TT/TT-S/TT-RS Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 3rd August 2009, 10:35

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO