MPG and some advice

[ QUOTE ]
Mine does around 50.2 mpg on a tank. Its done 18k and getting better the more I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you getting this info from the DIS system (on the dash) or working it out manually?

working it out manually. I don't trust the the dis system. So once every few weeks I do the old fill it to the top and work it out.

[ QUOTE ]
working it out manually. I don't trust the the dis system. So once every few weeks I do the old fill it to the top and work it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeez.... I must have a heavy foot then!!!!

Your DIS probably shows 80mpg!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

You must drive like the proverbial Nun....do they have internet access in convents? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

I've been working mine out monthly. And I get something between 38 & 43 MPG per 1000ish mile per month. But DIS states that I'm getting an average of 42.8 I think on my last check. So it's not far off! Still wish I got more MPG tho... but my average speed on my journey to work (23miles) is only 25MPH which is rubbish, but that's cos of the traffic!

God Dam other road users!!

LOL well don't tell the mother superior I'm only supposed to use the car on Tuesdays.

I don't have an extremely heavy right foot, but being a Graded Emergency Driver there are times when I'll make it "fly". Then it drops down to about 39 on a tank.

Am no sinner, but I ain't an angel either

[ QUOTE ]
LOL well don't tell the mother superior I'm only supposed to use the car on Tuesdays.

I don't have an extremely heavy right foot, but being a Graded Emergency Driver there are times when I'll make it "fly". Then it drops down to about 39 on a tank.

Am no sinner, but I ain't an angel either

[/ QUOTE ]

What is a 'Graded Emergency Driver'?

[ QUOTE ]
Graded Emergency Driver

[/ QUOTE ]

oooh that sounds exciting... does it involve flashing blue lights and stuff?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I had my driving described as something like that; "Degraded" somtething or other /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Mines often described as degraded, yea involves driving on blue lights and an extrememly annoying noise (not only to other road users)

[ QUOTE ]
Mines often described as degraded, yea involves driving on blue lights and an extrememly annoying noise (not only to other road users)

[/ QUOTE ]

Are the vehicles with said flashing lights an annoying noise red or white in colour?

[ QUOTE ]
I've been working mine out monthly. And I get something between 38 & 43 MPG per 1000ish mile per month. But DIS states that I'm getting an average of 42.8 I think on my last check. So it's not far off! Still wish I got more MPG tho... but my average speed on my journey to work (23miles) is only 25MPH which is rubbish, but that's cos of the traffic!

God Dam other road users!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't read entire thread but "brim to brim" method is far more reliable than any trip computer. Bare in mind that most drivers have only have a vague idea of their real mpg and most will exagerate - human nature. Also important is how mpg is averaged. The A3 trip averages out over 100 hours - a lot of miles in various driving conditions. Brim to Brim averages over a smaller period of time (someone do the maths on this...) Also bare in mind you're not driving an old fashioned diesel - but a high performance car - relatively speaking. I used to reckon 30mpg from a 113bhp GTI type car (mid-80's style) was about right. My A3 tdi would I think, trounce a mki Golf gti....unless anyone wants to argue...

[ QUOTE ]
The A3 trip averages out over 100 hours - a lot of miles in various driving conditions. Brim to Brim averages over a smaller period of time (someone do the maths on this...)

[/ QUOTE ]

But if you reset the DIS when you refuel then it should work it out over the same period....

Nah - look - Maths isn't a strong point and I might have got this wrong but - on setting 1, the trip averages real time fuel consumption over real miles travelled. On setting 2 the trip averages fuel consumption over miles travelled up to 100 hours - thus taking in a more varied set of driving conditions. My weekly run equals 200 miles which takes roughly 90 minutes a day by 5 days or an average of 26.6mph. Therefore 100 hours might equal 2660 miles. Divide this by litres used to average consumption.
Re-setting the trip simply starts the process from scratch again.
Brim to brim will measure actual miles travelled per litre of fuel per tank. Am I making a mistake somewhere?

[ QUOTE ]
Nah - look - Maths isn't a strong point and I might have got this wrong but - on setting 1, the trip averages real time fuel consumption over real miles travelled. On setting 2 the trip averages fuel consumption over miles travelled up to 100 hours - thus taking in a more varied set of driving conditions. My weekly run equals 200 miles which takes roughly 90 minutes a day by 5 days or an average of 26.6mph. Therefore 100 hours might equal 2660 miles. Divide this by litres used to average consumption.
Re-setting the trip simply starts the process from scratch again.
Brim to brim will measure actual miles travelled per litre of fuel per tank. Am I making a mistake somewhere?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all, you have it exactly correct in my opinion, but because you have reset DIS2 when fuelling, the reading should be roughly the same as working it out when you refuel next.

I think I'm too thick to follow that Spence - I'll agree & go away and think about it...

[ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah - I see what you mean - the 2 should tally - so what was the verdict again?

[/ QUOTE ]

DIS= Doubtful Indication of Something?

[ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah - I see what you mean - the 2 should tally - so what was the verdict again?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess the verdict was that yes, they should tally, but they generally don't.

Mine never used to, but now seems to after the car was serviced. The only thing I can think of that may have caused it would be a "full" reset of the DIS and ECU when the car had it's new gearbox and was in the workshop for 10 days, presumably with the battery disconnected. It had its service a short while after that so I may not have noticed the change in between.....

When I go to Aberdeen on Sunday for work, i'll do a proper DIS test:

1. Fill up to the brim
2. Reset DIS 1
3. Reset DIS 2
4. Drive continuously till the fuel light comes on, about 300 miles
5. Stop and fill up.

Then compare DIS1, DIS2 and calculated MPG.

[ QUOTE ]

1. Fill up to the brim
2. Reset DIS 1
3. Reset DIS 2
5. Stop and fill up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont forget to reset the trip meter when you refuel!!!

[ QUOTE ]

1. Fill up to the brim
2. Reset DIS 1
3. Reset DIS 2
5. Stop and fill up.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might bump into Bowfer - Aberdeen is his corner of the Planet.

Don't think the weather's due to be too kind for your journey,unfortunately.
Certainly quite heavy snow showers going on today,along with blustery winds.

Managed to do Aberdeen to Blackburn and back once,on one tank,in my A4 with four blokes and luggage.
We did the Aberdeen to Blackburn leg in 3 hours 40 minutes as well,so we were motoring.
The journey back was less frantic.

Thought that was pretty damned amazing mpg.

[ QUOTE ]
You might bump into Bowfer - Aberdeen is his corner of the Planet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not literally I hope - probably not do either car any good !

Aberdeen cancelled, went to a job in Dartford this morning instead. Still did the test:

221 miles non-stop motorway, cruise on at 80mph most of the way. Both DIS's reset at fill up.

DIS1: 32mpg av, 73mph av, 3.03 hrs
DIS2: 32mpg av, 73mph av, 3.03 hrs

Used 29.7 litres. (221/29.7) x 4.54 = 33.7mpg average

So the DIS measured under the actual mpg, which is nice!

I think this is ideal conditions though with steady speed etc, so i'll measure another tank with varied driving conditions over the next day or two.

I was well impressed last night, did the normal journey home (22miles) and averaged 62.1mpg! Bargain!.....
I would say I like slow moving motorways, but I don't!!!!!
h

[ QUOTE ]
I used to reckon 30mpg from a 113bhp GTI type car (mid-80's style) was about right. My A3 tdi would I think, trounce a mki Golf gti....unless anyone wants to argue...

[/ QUOTE ]

You maybe didn't see my message in one of the 'Revo' threads,but I struggled to overtake a smoke-burning H reg Golf Gti the other day.
Really struggled...
Got quite a shock actually,as I thought I would have had a good 30bhp over him.
It was a pile of rust as well,with bouncy back shocks,so I certainly didn't get the feeling it was tuned or looked after in any way !

DIS in mine is around 2-3 MPG high, i'm actually averaging around 47 which I think, considering how much I rag it, is quite cool

[ QUOTE ]
DIS in mine is around 2-3 MPG high, i'm actually averaging around 47 which I think, considering how much I rag it, is quite cool

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of mileage do you get to a full tank Matt?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of mileage do you get to a full tank Matt?

[/ QUOTE ]

Careful lads we will p1$$ the 3.2 boys off again, more moans about TDi orientated threads coming up...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I used to reckon 30mpg from a 113bhp GTI type car (mid-80's style) was about right. My A3 tdi would I think, trounce a mki Golf gti....unless anyone wants to argue...

[/ QUOTE ]

You maybe didn't see my message in one of the 'Revo' threads,but I struggled to overtake a smoke-burning H reg Golf Gti the other day.
Really struggled...
It was a pile of rust as well,with bouncy back shocks,so I certainly didn't get the feeling it was tuned or looked after in any way !

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget he's got a significant weight advantage of somewhere near 500kg.... that might account for some of it...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really struggled...

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget he's got a significant weight advantage of somewhere near 500kg.... that might account for some of it...

[/ QUOTE ]

1991 Golf Gti - 1140 kgs - 115 bhp
2005 A3 - 1410 kgs - 140 bhp

So the Golf Gti has the (slightly) better power to weight ratio,you're right Eeef.

Of course the rust and lack of damping oil in his back shocks will also have lightened his car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Moral of the story,don't try and overtake old Gti's.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Im going to ask the moderator to ban any threads that mention MPG.

I have a 3.2 amd im getting about 24 on a good day. I have hired a fuel tanker to follow me when i go on long journeys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Don't worry, I'm getting about that from my 2.0T so we are all equal, unless you have a oil burner and then you are more equal...

Guys, we (the oil burning collective) might be getting a few more MPG (Although mine is only managing 35 at the moment, however I drive)....

But, you have blistering acceleration... no diesel smell for 3hours after you fill up.... no smoke when giving it a little too much right foot.... no tractor impersinations.... no-one tries to hail you down in the street.... and that gorgeous 3.2 sound.... plus launch control......

Given the chance, I would definately order a 2.0T, not a 2.0TDi if I could.

So it's not all good being a heavy smoker.

[ QUOTE ]
Im going to ask the moderator to ban any threads that mention MPG.

I have a 3.2 amd im getting about 24 on a good day. I have hired a fuel tanker to follow me when i go on long journeys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

A 3.2 is good for a steady cruise at 30mpg, even 31mpg. Just don't go over 1000rpm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I've posted this before, but its not often I have seen this after a fill up... Stink Wheels

Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine generally shows 380 - 400 after a fill up... As I said, at 35mpg I might as well have got a 2.0T!!!!