Suspension Knocking noise but nothing obvious

Garlo

Reaction score
Website
www.stuartgarland.com
Hi there all, any ideas would be gratefully appreciated as this car has been looked at 4 times by various folk and garages !!

Problem - clunk noise drivers side when on uneven surfaces, cats eyes, pot holes, B roads (silent on Duals/Mways). Sounds high up I thought possible Strut bearings.
Has had a complete lookover by various places who cannot find any play in the suspension, all the usual checked!! All looked good and tight, droplinks, anti roll, CV etc.
One garage did find play on drivers side steering ram internal which they said could be what im feeling, but just doesnt seem right as a lateral movement when definate clunk when rising/dropping - could this be viable?

are you handy enough with the tools to take things apart?? (purely to save labour costs)

my rear beam bushes on my bora (I know its not the same at all) appeared to be in good order but they made a horrendous blood-curdling crash when I went over bumps, enough to make me think I was seriously damaging my wheels, turns out that they were shot, even though they didn't look and feel all that bad

Sounds like the top mount bearings have collapsed, you won't even see the problem till you remove the bearing from the top of the strut & find its in pieces.

Are the top mount bearings difficult to replace, I thought it was just a matter of compressing the springs, however a garage has said they are difficult to get to and has quoted me 2.5hrs labour per side - £350 all in ***!!!