Tyre advice needed ...

I don't read any car press,so what's considered the best tyre in the wet just now ?

Of the 'Summer Max Performance' category which all UK sportish cars seem to get these days:

The F1-GSD3 wins by a whisker (9.1)
over the Dunlop SP9090 (8.8)!!!!!
Then the PS2 is joint 3rd with the Potenza (8.7).

IMO the SP9090 was the worst wet tyre I've ever had, but hey what do I know?

I know Scots think they have it bad, but it rains in England too. Manchester is unfortunately far wetter than the Aberdeen area.

809mm versus 588mm annual rainfall! 37% wetter for our sins.

miket, my current RE040's have the rim protector, do the new design RE050 A's have this as well?

michelin pilot sports - just got 2 new ones fitted balanced for £300 all in - from kwik fit after a haggle. - the extra cost gets better mileage and IMO less road noise.

cant get an a3 to oversteer?.....

quattro perhaps not but the fwd is relatively easy to induce with lift off oversteer. not particulary violent such as a 205 gti etc but you can with a bit of balls get it (easier if the grounds wet). would be more fluid if it wasnt so over tyred.

Yuor right the A3 will over steer with a bit of throttle lift

The Quattro will oversteer again just lift of the gas when giving it some through the twisties /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif 4 wheel only works when the wheels are actually being powered by the throttle...

I haven't,yet,had any oversteer from the Sportback.
Increased wheelbase will make it less likely to,I would think.

Lift off used to really upset my 4mo golf, as you say its only 4WD when you're accelerating!