RS6 Alloys + Mirrors + fogs

d3fy

Reaction score
Website
d3fy.co.uk
Alloys

Is it mine or are they all crap? I have the car for one month and noticed a few scratches on the alloys already. The scratches are inside the rim (not on the spokes but the dish at the bottom between them) , not in place where you would expect as they are not exposed.

And now I have a freaking great chip out of one of the spokes, I can only assume caused by a stone flicking up.

I had a Lexus IS for near 2 years, Lexus are renowned for crap quality alloys – I never had a scratch or chip.

Any one else?

Plus just noticed that one of the fog lights is letting in water and that the electric folding mirrors have started to play up with the passenger side sticking closed.

I did not add these as a option for the sake of it, I have to fold my mirrors in 2 times to reverse up the drive!

That is sooooo odd, I am as we speak waiting for two spots of primer to dry on my LH front RS6 style alloy, after something took two huge "stone chips" out of it, just don't want Mr salt to get underneath the paint.

I've had the same thing happen to mine but strangley enough its only happened to the off-side rear wheel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Fecking annoying!

[ QUOTE ]
Oh crap I suppose I better do that too, what have you used?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had an old silver touch up pen from my original A3, does,nt really look any better touched up, but it should keep the winter out, I reckon if you had to buy something, the closer you can get to pure alluminium the better

Booster - I think mine is the same back wheel, John thanks I will get one from the motor factors. Got the car booked in on the 23rd for the mirrors and the fog light, plus having them have a listen to the BOSE as I have a noticable background hiss at low volume on radio and any CD's.

Do you get the background hiss when the unit is switched off too? If so, it's an annoying character with the BOSE units as the amp is permanently on even if the head unit is switched off and cannot be remedied.

That's a dealer blag mate, i've never heard that before on all the Audi forums i've ever been on for the last two years. I certainly never had anything like that with mine, nor has my mate with his TT.

It's not designed to do it, it's not how BOSE intended it, it's not what you expect with an sound UPgrade, so why put up with it. Take it to another dealer (if you can and are still in warranty) and get them to fix it. Audi UK certainly wouldn't say it's meant to do it.

The mirror issue is a known warranty problem.

My fogs get condensation inside, thats cos the lenses aren't sealed - try wiggling them with your finger, they're loose!!

Also my BOSE hisses very subtly with the head unit on or off (with the ignition on). The same as that annoying amplified mobile phone interference occurs with the head unit on or off.

My BOSE system also hisses when on at low volume /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I'll let you all know my findings after the 23rd

My fogs are sealed and one is fine and one is not. You may think that they are not if both of your are faulty too, but I don't except condinsation/water in the lights as normal operation. (None of my previous cars have condensed, BMW, Lexus)

BOSE sound system, if you think a premium sound system should hiss like a AM radio at low volume then something is not right.

Mirrors, I know I read the postings.

But we will see what they say, and I'll let you all know.

I am having both of my A3s fogs replaced under warranty next week at Lancaster Audi in Manchester - I am not particularly impressed by Audi build quality!!!!

Le Man - Audi UK actually replaced my A3 recently because of various faults. One of the remaining problems that could not be rectified was the BOSE hiss with head unit off / ignition on. Despite many attempts by dealer (who have actually been very good) and Audi UK, it could not be fixed. I am sure they would not replace my car if they could avoid it. I have also heard it on various other BOSE equipped new A3s which I tested to confirm that it was not just my car. It is a subtle hiss and some people don't hear it, but once you hear it you always know it is there.

[ QUOTE ]
but once you hear it you always know it is there.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif i hate that!!!!!!!

What faults did you have that made them replace the car Rob? How old was it? Presumably you didn't have to contribute?

Oh where do I start...sunroof, door seals, power steering / steering rack, rear suspension, 2 replacement exhausts, bose hiss, minor damage to car whilst at dealers (wheel arch scuff and chunk out of Sline alloy), but best one was removal of most of rear of car to identify persistent ball bearing in a paint can noise from the back of the car. Three visits later, it was found to be a selection of loose nuts and bolts in the rear seat area under the carpet! Fortunately they appeared to be excess to requirements.

Had the car from new but needed 7 months of repeat visits over 7000 miles. Only a very small mileage contribution from me and the cost of any difference in spec I wanted - e.g. went from 3dr to Sportback. Plus courtesy car for 5 months (3.2 to match my own) for the duration of waiting for dealer and Audi to agree deal and whilst my new one was ordered. Shouldn't have been necessary, but I was impressed with the attitude of both dealer and Audi UK and ended up with a very fair deal.

I have the bose hiss, but it is normal. When you unlock the car, the bose amps power-up, and emit a subtle hiss. If you sit in the car, and lock it, you can wait for a few minutes and the amps will power-down and the hiss is gone. I didn't notice it at first, but now that I have, I notice it all the time!

A fair bit of bother Rob!

Was the door deal prob the creaking prob that a few people have had? How loud\persistent was it as I get the odd small creak?

What was the exhaust issue? Mine has recently started to rattle loads at low revs (when pulling away normally). Could be it causes something to rattle underneath or could be one of the boxes is going internally (after 3k miles!)

Door seal replacement was trying to rectify a wind whistling noise when the sunroof was open on tilt. It wasn't the creaking noise I think some owners have had.

Re the exhaust, it rattled when the car was at about 2200rpm, either accelerating or slowing down. The downpipe was replaced through to the cat as the mountings were faulty and were flexing too much. Apparently a revision was made to them.

This completely cured this problem but then where the new and "old" (only a few months old) exhausts joined there was excessive ticking from the exhaust when it was warm. Not the usual cooling down type of noise everyone gets when the metal contracts but even with engine running sitting at lights - you could often hear it in the car with the windows closed. A third complete from manifold exhaust, having taken another 5 weeks to arrive, cured it, but I was fed up by then.

Well I have taken the car in, and got a A4 - can't believe any one would buy one - its crap. Oil burner thing

They're quite basic and uninspiring inside aren't they compared to the A3.

With an A4 you have to pay extra for :
<ul type="square"> [*]DIS
[*]Auto Air recirculation
[*]ISO FIX
[*]Heated mirrors
[*]Servotronic power steering
[/list]
All of which were free/included when I ordered my A3

After coming from a Lexus 4 door saloon, the A4 really is dull. I'm not sure on the price point , but you would really, really need to spec it up for it to be a nice motor, saying that I would not kick a RS4 off my drive... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
They're quite basic and uninspiring inside aren't they compared to the A3.

With an A4 you have to pay extra for :
<ul type="square"> [*]DIS
[*]Auto Air recirculation
[*]ISO FIX
[*]Heated mirrors
[*]Servotronic power steering
[/list]
All of which were free/included when I ordered my A3

[/ QUOTE ]

That is exactly why I didn't opt for one when choosing a new car! Highly specd SptBk is much nicer that bog std A4! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jump.gif

I'm not a big fan of the A4 in standard spec and money for money i know the lexus features better, but don't you find the inside of an IS200 REALLY dull? Just normal Jap boredom inside.

Although still lots better than the S2000 I test drove, now that was the dullest interior I've ever seen!

The thing i found with the Jap motors is that most of the car looks like a cheap chav Aiwa stereo, and the rest is some shiny plastic mixed with ruff **** cloth

So went to the dealers with 4 problems, the dealers is Gilders Sheffield. Left the car with them picked it up late afternoon.

1) One of the fogs has condensation in it (in my mind, letting in water)
2) Folding Mirrors are sticking closed (luckily this morning the drivers refused to open up so I had a careful drive to the dealers and left them with one stuck out and one in.
3) BOSE sound system hissing at low volume.
4) One of the rear hubs that the Alloy connects to is starting to rust.

The car is one and half months old and retails as over 25k

Gilders: 1) It’s within tolerance all units can let in X amount of condensation that should be burnt off within X amount of the light being on.

Gilders: 2) Known problem, both mechanisms will need to be replaced and the control unit.

Gilders 3) No fault Found (NFF) so I got the tech to come sit in the car and have a listen, he then pulled out a notice from Audi Tech stating that the Amp pre powers up and down to stop the speakers popping. This is a ‘feature’ and not a fault.

Gilders 4) The silver paint is just to stop the unit from rusting when stood, it is designed and will come off as ware and tare

So I explained that I don’t agree on 1,3, & 4 and that I will be writing to complain to Audi and also I will write to BOSE to see if there premium sound system should have white noise at low volumes.

I can’t really fault Gilders as they assign blame to Audi and the Audi warranty, so we will see what they all have to say, after all is Christmas holidays so I have nothing better to do with my time than write letters of complaint to Audi.

The head tech did mention on point 3 that if enough people complain to Audi/Audi dealers about the ‘feature’ that Audi would implement a change. So if anyone else has the same problem as me with the ****** BOSE sound system speak up now and I will add your details my complaint, equally if you BOSE and don’t have this problem please tag on.

Merry Christmas all!

Let us know how you get on mate, might be worth writing to the lady Dave Robinson spoke to as she is in charge of customer services.

[ QUOTE ]
equally if you BOSE and don’t have this problem please tag on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have BOSE and the RNS-E DVD Nav head unit as factory fit and I don't have this problem - music sources are either MP3 via SD memory cards or radio - perfectly quiet and stupendous playback quality for both. Note no CD changer though.

Steve

The dealer dealt directly with Audi UK on my behalf. The Service Manager and Dealer Principal (might be called Head of Business now) were involved.

Have you got something that needs sorting out too then?

Cheers

Dear Mr.

thank you very much for your letter we received today.

In your new Audi A3 is mounted a digitally amplifier. This kind of amplifier makes a low rush noise.

But when the music sets in, this rush should be covered. Of course we don`t know exactly how strong the hiss is you described but it is not usual that there are noises (hiss, rush) when music sets in.

But in stand by mode or between two tracks from a CD it is possible that you notice some lower rush.

Did you already have a chance to do a comparison hearing with a similar A3 ?

We recommend in this case to do a comparison hearing with an identically A3 with Bose® Sound System.

Please contact your dealer again to be able to do this. If the second A3 has not these problems you should refer that it is necessary to replace the amplifier because your A3 and our sound system is under warranty.

It could also be, that the noises came from the radio/ head unit because in general our amplifiers makes no loud noises.

Please consider: responsible for warranty and replacement is your Audi dealer.

Please inform us about the news in this case.

Kind regards

Klaus Hoehnle

Bose Automotive GmbH

Customer Support Team Europe

Wolf-Hirth-Str. 9

D-73730 Esslingen

GERMANY

---

So you peeps with BOSE do you get any kind of low hissing? I will check out a car at Gilders if I can when I go in to get the mirrors fixed.

PS. Both letters sent at the same time, one to Germany, one to MILTON KEYNES can you guess who has not replied yet......

If I turn the ignition to position 2 to turn on the Nav then my Bose hisses. It will do this for about a minute and then it will stop. Can't say I've ever noticed it whilst on the move listening to music.

So the car went into Gilders yesterday to have a Tech report for the BOSE and to have what I thought was both mechanisms in the mirrors and the control unit replaced. What happened was they replaced the near side mechanism only. Checked them before I left the dealers and all is well.

Can you have a wild guess as to what happened today when I came to use them….. amazingly the near side one stuck closed. I called and reported my displeasure and that I would keep an eye on it, came to leave the car park to go home from work and had to **** around with the switch for a few minutes to get the near side one to come back out again (again!).

Got a call on my journey home to say that they have ordered replacement parts and that they will rebook it in as soon as they get them and replace them again!

BOSE – Gilders still think that it is normal for the sound system to hiss constantly. They did not have a single car in their stock that had BOSE so that I could sit in it and listen.

So I will have to write to Audi UK again to see what’s next as I don’t believe it is normal or to be accepted.

I think it’s a game of attrition now….

It is normal in the sense that they all do it (well, all the ones I have tried anyway), but that doesn't mean it is acceptable.

As I said before, I never got a fix to mine despite months of deliberation but with everything else, I got the car replaced in the end anyway. The new one has Bose and the hiss continues but on the Sportback it does seem much less intrusive than on my previous 3dr (don't know why as the system is the same, the speakers are all in the same places etc), so I am ok living with it this time for the benefit of a better sound when I use the system.

Does it not send you mad when you don't want the Stereo on or just really low and all you can hear is the hiss?

I don't think I can live with it, and if they can't fix it then I will go County Court as I'm not going to pay £350 for the privilege of a permanent hiss

Mine has got a hiss when I turn the key to position two but as soon as I turn the stereo on I can't hear it, even with the volume down very low. It sounds as though there is something wrong with yours.

With mine, I notice the hiss when the unit is off and ignition on, and the volume does go up and down slightly when on the move. It might be there when on too, but I never have the thing on quietly.

I also went down the route of questioning paying a premium for a product which doesn't deliver as you would expect. If it is a characteristic then it should be displayed equally with the characteristic that it is acoustically tuned for the A3 interior and it also automatically turns down the volume at the lights. Keep at it.