Evening all

Redmen78

Reaction score
Anybody had a strange ticking noise coming from the engine/box after a long run or stop start traffic on a 140 tdi bkd engine
Cheers lee

I think thats just everything cooling down, its normal. I could be wrong but i've found cars with higher mileage do this more

Definitely not cooling down its in time with the tick over and increases with the revs cars done 54,000 😕

When was your cam belt done last? Is the oil getting low? I have the same engine and mine rattles a little of I lit the oil get below 1/4.

Cam belt done about a month ago Oil is fine as just had it serviced as well

Was thinking it could be the DMF but gear change is fine,no slipping or anything else

Put it in first gear. Leave it ticking over with the hand break on and slowly release the clutch till the biting point. If it rattles and nocks then it's your dmf

Mine does that sometimes bot really thought much about it tbh

Does yours sound like there's oil in it ?
Been speaking to a mechanic he says it might be a hydraulic tappet ??

It only happens now and again normall fan kicks in after i turn it off then its quiet, maybe its egr cooler or something

Open to all ideas guys really driving me mad daren't go on any long journeys just in case it goes bang 😬

How do I post videos ?? Got the noise on my phone seems to be at low speeds with clutch near biting point ??

That's what I thought !! The wife reckons its not that bad lol !
Only does it intermittently though I'm in Rotherham mate South Yorkshire

Yeah no knocks or bangs just engine labouring noise

Hmmm doesn't sound like its your dmf. Still could be. But needs further inspection. Halfords auto centres do free diognistics If you make them think they'll be repairing it :p

Thanks for the replies but decided to bite the bullet and get shut couldn't risk it going totally on me wife's due to give birth any day

Good luck with the little one. Me and the Miss's brought our a3 solely for the safety and its proved itself twice already 😃

Thanks mate stayed in vag group so not completely gone to the dark side !
Got 61 plate 5 door golf 1.6tdi no doubt will be horror stories somewhere about this engine !!