Rear cylinder grease!

Juddies

Reaction score
Hi again, done all 4 discs and pads on my 2010 A3 diesel today and before pushing in front brake pad adjuster ( to refit new pads ) l. Noticed a fine smear of what looked like to me grease, lam sure it wasn't brake fluid( is it possible it could be grease? ) thanks

Hi, it was when winding in the front brake piston/cylinder l noticed it under the rubber seal around the piston

Oh I see, probably there from factory then to stop the piston seizing/rusting, as long as its definitely not brake fluid from pushing the piston in to fast and flipping internal seals and not grease from elsewhere I wouldn't worry about it.

It was there before l started winding it in, iam sure it was grease, quite dark in colour

it shouldn't come out though so id check the dust cover isn't split, if it is without seeing if there is a repair kit id get some silicone to seal the hole or water will get in, seize the piston and the caliper wont perform. Sometimes if you put oil behind the dust cover on a seized piston they can free off but could be new caliper.

The dust cover looked fine, it was just a little between the piston seal and rubber, lam sure its ok and lam worrying about nothing