Low oil?

synthdood

Reaction score
On my way to work this morning a warning came on in the DIS. It is a yellow (oil?)can with waves below it. Unfortunately I don't have the users manual in the car so I can't check what it means but I am guessing it is the infamous low oil warning. I am also guessing that if it were dangerous to the engine the warning would have been red and not yellow, so it is still safe to drive?

Can somebody confirm what the low oil warning symbol looks like?

I've read a lot of complaints about oil consumption in this forum (and other forums). I have now done about 16000 km (9950 miles) and topped up about half a litre @ 7000km. The other half liter is going in this afternoon. I don't think this kind of oil consumption is too bad. At least not as bad as some of the stories I have read here.

I do hope that my local Halfords has the corect type of long-life oil.

Did you car not have the little bag in the boot with a litre of oil in it?

Correct, yellow is a level warning, red is low or no oil pressure.

Just looked in my Owner's Manual and the symbol you describe is the "Check engine oil level" symbol.

The longlife oil specified by Audi for AVS is VW 503.00 for the FSI. Castrol SLX Longlife II meets this spec, but I think you will find this has now been replaced by a new oil from Castrol called 'Edge'. By all accounts Halfords now stock this oil.

Just want to gloat - 3.5k miles since my service, and not a drop of oil used!! Can't believe it.

The car did come with the complimantary litre of oil, but the cheapskates didn't bother to put it in a little bag in the boot. They just stuck it in the passenger door.

Anyway, I just used my last half litre of Castrol SLX. The warning symbol is gone and the engine actually sounds a little different too. (maybe my imagination).

Off to Halfrauds now.