Talk to me about long life servicing :)

The Governor

Reaction score
My 8P BE Quattro is getting near to servicing time. I notice in the DIS that there are two service indicators, the first is a self-explanatory "Oil Service" due in approx 2100 miles.
The second is unhelpfully labelled "Service", due in about 2500 miles.
Looking at the book, I think there is only supposed to be a single service at approx 19000 miles that includes an oil/filter change as well as a load of visual check stuff.
So, why the two separate indicators in the DIS?

P.S for reasons I cannot explain, my enter key doesn't work when posting on here, but it's fine everywhere else, hence the slightly dodgy paragraph construction!

I've just had my car serviced and when I bought it I asked for the Audi inspection service schedule, which is 9000 miles or 1 year. So my DIS displayed 9000 miles to oil service and 19000 miles to service or 24 months. So oil service can be at more frequent intervals than main service. Does that help?

Yeah oil service is just that. Oil and filter change. Roughly every 10k or under then major service every 20k or under. So you are due for a major which will include an oil and filter change too. Then both indicators are reset and you're be due oil again in 10k ish and service in 20k ish.

Hope that makes sense?

Hmm, sort of, that makes sense if you're not on the long life schedule... I'm just wondering why, when on long life they aren't linked more tightly... I'd sort of quite like to separate the oil/filter change form the other service stuff longer term, without necessarily dropping the long life schedule altogether...

AFAIK the car monitors the ash in the oil and reduces the miles to service accordingly. When you got the car with zero miles the count down mileage would have been identical. With short journeys the oil service can be substantially less than every 19K.

Ah, so the oil & service times could be very different. that implies then that it's possible to have them serviced separately.. if you choose to do so...?