Shootingbrake TT makes S3 obsolete?

dbm

Reaction score
Seen the new TT shootingbrake? It's on the Audi UK web site and in Autoexpress. If no one had told me what it was supposed to be I would have said it was the new S3. So I wonder, if they make it (and given that it's performance figures are only marginally better than the 3.2Q A3) will they produce a new S3 after all?

Dan

very nice - i'll have one, seriously though, you have to give it to audi they CAN design a car. do you think its a swipe at bmw, ie. this is how you design a 1 series?!!!!!!!!

It looks like a 1 series crossed with a megane from the back/side. And the interior looks awful.

Actually I quite like the interior. It is just the chrome/alu around the vents that looks a bit messy to me. The steering wheel is greath though. Looks very similar to the RS4 steering wheel. Eons better than that ugly thing with the grill shaped center that is in my sportback.

In fact when I ordered my car I asked if it would be possible to get the 3-door steering wheel (with the round centerpiece) but unfortunately that was not possible.

Stunning exterior and most of the interior, with the exception of the vent surrounds and handbrake area finish.

It's okay - I googled it.

Definition of a shooting brake:

"In the United Kingdom, a very specific vehicle, rare these days, is known as a shooting brake. These are modifications of luxury coupés with an estate car. They generally have two side doors. The purpose of them, historically, is obvious from the name; they were vehicles for the well-off shooter and hunter, giving space to carry shotguns and other equipment. They are rarely factory made and are generally aftermarket conversions. Up through the early 1960s many of them were built as woodies, making them some of the most exclusive and luxurious woodies ever built."

After seeing that it makes you wonder if Chris Bangle is still working at BMW!

I bought Auto Express yesterday and that has it splashed on the front cover, I like it, apart from the stupid flat bottomed steering wheel that they say Will make production

[ QUOTE ]
it's in the Rs4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, what exactly is the idea behind having a flat section? some ergonomic reason? or purely for asthetics?

Reminds me of the very first Austin Allegros. Now I am showing my age !

mm, looks like ruined BMW 1-series. Someone at Audi wants to apparently hire Bangle and imitate his work, just needs some practising.

Unsure about it myself,but I think it may be a moot point anyway.
These concept machines are often so 'diluted' by the time they reach production (by safety regulations and 'play it safe' marketing men) that the original design is spoiled.
Mind you,the TT itself is quite faithful to it's original sketches.

[ QUOTE ]

Mind you,the TT itself is quite faithful to it's original sketches.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, and look how successful that has been. Apart from a couple of models the entire Audi range, looks wise is 'boring' IMO. Everytime I go into a dealers there are just too many ordinary looking cars on the forecourt. Especially the S4, a model that should look alot more agressive than it does, when you consider it's up against the M3. A far superior looking car.

Whilst I not a huge fan of this shooting brake thing, you have to say it's alot more exciting the 90% of Audi's current range in terms of asthetics.

Yes, but I think Audi know a thing or two about their customers !

I would choose the S4 over the M3 for that exact reason, the M3 looks nasty and cheap as it ages.

[ QUOTE ]
I would choose the S4 over the M3 for that exact reason, the M3 looks nasty and cheap as it ages.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO the S4 should have looked more like the RS4 and the RS4 itself more agressive still.

Audi are not really into 'aggressive' styles. They tend to leave that to the likes of BMW or some after-market tuners. Quiet and restrainted tends to describe most of the designs. Thank goodness.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO the S4 should have looked more like the RS4 and the RS4 itself more agressive still.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have missed the whole point of the S. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have missed the whole point of the S. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe, I would never consider a B7 S4 purely based on the fact I'm not sold on the looks. Love the RS4 though, and IMO that's still understated and not overly aggresive.