Symphony and BOSE, what's the deal with the Volume!

Boyakasha

Reaction score

Hi All, I've had my A3 TDi S-line for a week now and love it but the thing that is really annoying me is the automatic volume when the cars speeds up. I read the manual and it says its called GALA but as I have the BOSE speakers I guess it changes to Dynamic Noise something or other /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Question is how do you turn this off, I know you can turn off the GALA setting but with the BOSE you don't seem to get this option in the menu settings.

Marc

I've got the Bose and the RNS-E nav unit. I agree completely with what you say about the volume- its ****** annoying.
Unfortunately, there is no way to turn off the dynamic noise system with the Bose set-up.
What I would say though is stick with it. Other people on here have said that it "beds in" after a while and I didn't believe it! However, having had my car for seven months I would now agree. The system sounds loads better and the noise level thing seems to have sorted itself out. I thought it was me getting used to it but passengers have commented on the fact that it is no way near so noticeable as it was.

Thanks Booster /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

I'll just relax and enjoy the car now, this is my first VAG car and love the quality.

Dont notice mine, it seems to work fine. Leave it a while and see how you get on with it......

The Gala feature is something I didn't even realise my new car had (Bose + single slot CD).
My A4's volume used to jump around all over the place,but the only time I notice a change in volume in the A3 is when you switch it off at 15 and it comes back on at 10 (to avoid you bricking yourself).

GALA is just speed sensitive, where as the BOSE dynamic thingy is ambient noise sensitive.

When you got onto a noisy concrete road section at speed it really winds up the volume a lot, but usually it's quite subtle and you don't really notice it.

I often find I've stopped at roundabouts etc, but am still waiting for the decreae in volume to catch up! (maybe I brake too hard?)

Bowfer

The thing you refer to is another feature of the unit. You can preset the volume the unit switches itself on at to avoid the usual "was I really listening to it that loud?" question. The same can be done for traffic reports and if you have it, phone and sat nav directions. I have the Concert single CD player it this is all easily accessed through the menu button. Couldn't find it on the BOSE Sat nav car I had as a loaner though - it all seemed to be turned off so "louder than hell" was the standard start up volume with that one.

I have BOSE in mine and it has the dynamic noise feature unlike non BOSE which has GALA. You can play with the GALA setting to adjust the sensitivity or even switch it off, but on BOSE, you are stuck with it. However, after a while you kind of get used to it. It does take a moment to catch up though as Mike says.

Rob

I'm guessing that you could VAGCOM the HU back to non-Bose EQ settings and this would also turn off the dynamic noise system?
I think it must do as the Bose & non-Bose head units are one & the same, just the VAGCOM settings the only difference.
Some people seem to prefer the sound from the Bose system with the non-Bose HU settings.

There are preset EQ settings in the head unit.
A google search should reveal all.

reveal what? ways to change them? Ways to de activate them or the answer to life?

Don't say I'm not good to you...

Hidden Equalizer
The following is the procedure on how to access and adjust the "hidden" equalizer feature in the Audi Symphony radio.

Turn off radio.
While pressing and holding the Preset 5 button, turn on radio.
You'll see a series of 8 digits displayed. From the factory, it's set to "55555555". You will not hear any sound when running in this mode.
The first four digits correspond to the four equalizer bands (low, low-mid, upper-mid, high) for the front speakers, and the last four digits are the same for the rear speakers. The level can be set from 1 (minimum) to 9 (maximum).
Turn the volume control knob to increase or decrease the level for the band (which is blinking). To advance to the next band, press the P.Scan button.
When you are done, turn off radio, then turn it back on to hear the results. On some versions of the Symphony, you must also cycle the ignition key to hear the results.

Taken from here (there's lot of other features as well).

http://www.ibiblio.org/tkan/audi/radios/symphony.html