Upgrading my bulbs..

ARH

Reaction score
Hi all.

I have recently purchased myself a A3 but I'm wanting to upgrade my bulbs as the standards are so dull.

I don't want them to be illegal and I don't want them to be too bright and definitely not blue.

Can anyone tell me what bulbs I need to replace and what colour or spec etc? Or if a HID kit will be better then which one would you recommend, is it easy to fit?

The car is a 55 (8p2) 1.6 fsi if that makes any difference.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Osram nightbreakers or Philips Diamond vision

Only fit OEM xenons (HID) otherwise you will blow your wiper motor !

If you are going down the Xenon route then avoid the non OEM kits, they very regularly blow your wiper motor (£300 down the drain).
I had a HID kit in my car when i bought it, the chap i bought it off had done some wizardry with resistors and wires to limit the current spike which kills the wiper motor, however, the OEM halogen lenses are not designed to 'control' this amount/type of light, and end up spewing it all over the road (blinding other drivers).

You can always go down the route of OEM retrofitting either single or bi xenons (these will not blow your motor).
I would highly recommend a bi xenon retrofit if you have the money spare (over £1k), but if you're looking for a quick/cheap solution, then mike's suggestions are pretty good:

Osram night breakers
Philips diamond vision

Don't think ill bother with the hid route, I think I will go for the Phillips :)

What about my fog lights, indicators etc?

Aaron