Reset service indicator?

Pez

Reaction score
Does anyone know how I can reset the service indicator on my A3? I've just had a service and I've tried what it says in the manual - pull the button under the speedo for a few seconds and then again to reset but it doesn't work, I still have a spanner showing all the time. It says the number of miles to next service is -8600, so I'm guessing it wasn't reset at the previous service either (before I bought the car).
It says in the manual that it can't be reset if there is a priority 1 fault detected? How can I tell if that is the case? Or do I have to take it back to the garage?
Cheers

What year A3?

To check for faults you need VCDS or someone local to you with the said tool to scan the car & they can also reset service indicators.

Cheers, turns out a friend has one but we keep getting a linking error. Guess its back to the dealer...

Cheers, turns out a friend has one but we keep getting a linking error. Guess its back to the dealer...

When are you trying to link key needs to be on "second click" doesn't need to be running but don't think it makes a difference

Search the forum a bit more and you'll find a few sequences of pulling the pins of the speedo.

Done it on my 57 plate A3. So it can be done without VCDS or any other diagnostic software.

Tried first click, second and with engine running and still no luck!