Quattro knock?

H17YD L

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this is normal but would like the opinions of others please.
When I reverse the car off my drive I have to turn in both directions as I come off and I get a knocking noise and can feel it a bit coming through the car is it normal for what I think is the Quattro system to do this when reversing, I had a friends STI for a weekend last year when I was detailing it and when backing that up it did the same and when I asked him he said it's normal, is this the case for us too?

Just me then, I'll get it looked at

I have a slight knock when cornering at slow speed as well, like you it's usually when reversing and turning tightly...

i thought it was normal as its done it since I've had my car but I've only had it a couple of weeks so I'm not sure. Would like someone to confirm.

It should not knock - I would suspect it could be the bearing in the propshaft that could be making the noise or the rear diff mount.

Certainly shouldn't knock anyway.

Knocks aren't concidered normal. It could be a number of things though, mainly geometry related, possibly drivetrain related. Bushes, bearings, shocks, mounts, anything that moves really. Not much help I appreciate, but gives you some pointer :)

I wouldn't say mine was a knock as such, more a click sometimes on tight cornering.

I will get Graeme at GNJ to have a look when he fits my springs and spacers for me.

Thanks for the replies.
Doesn't seem good then! It's definitely banging when I reverse and turn, does it a couple of times whilst reversing about 20yds

Thanks for the replies.
Doesn't seem good then! It's definitely banging when I reverse and turn, does it a couple of times whilst reversing about 20yds

Mine isn't that bad.

Mine just seems to click when slowly cornering round tight bends like on to the drive or sharp corners.

Right I've worked out I think it's coming from the front wheels even when turning going forwards at slow speeds, if I turn tight and then when I straighten up it clunks and you feel it through the steering wheel, as if you've gone over something like a bump in the road!

I think it may be something to do with the CV joint? Will this be covered by warranty?

Right the car is still doing it! I'm going to have to take it in to Audi.

But another problem I've noticed is when joining the autobahn and get to 90mph the car shakes, feels like a wheel out of balance but it continues the more you accelerate to the point where the arm rest can be seen shaking!

Then after sitting at 70mph for a couple of miles accelerate again and it doesn't shake anymore?? Random or what! Then if you come off the motorway (autobahn) do what you've got to do then when coming back on the motorway it does it again! Only when you first join it!

It's as if when you do some tight turning off the motorway it causes the problem to come back, only to disappear after a short journey on the motorway!

The big problem is going to get Audi to fix it when it only happens above 70mph!

Any thought??