Sky InsuranceAH Fabrications
    1st Gear

Status

S3 2010 S-Tronic with turbo lag when changing gear?

First of all i'm new to this forum so hello everyone!

I've found a 2010 S3 with S-tronic I really like but when I was out on the test drive I noticed when changing gear there was quite a bit of lag. Best way I can explain it is flat out in 3rd the gearbox changed to 4th and it took about half a second for the turbo to kick in again. Surely at 5k rpm the spool should be nearly instant with that load? I've watched a few youtube videos and it seems instant.

The dealer says they will fix it but has anyone heard of this before or got any ideas what it could be?

Thanks, Oli

2. # ADS
    ADS

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Welcome Oli

As long as dealer will warranty it, to fix aswell, then I would seriously consider it, also there are gearbox maps you can have potentially that can liven things up along with an engine remap, which may help resolve the issue if they find no problems, anyway stipulate, should you purchase, it must be resolved or car comes back etc.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Welcome Oli

As long as dealer will warranty it, to fix aswell, then I would seriously consider it, also there are gearbox maps you can have potentially that can liven things up along with an engine remap, which may help resolve the issue if they find no problems, anyway stipulate, should you purchase, it must be resolved or car comes back etc.
    Thanks for the quick reply, they have said they will fix it but I am just concerned as dealers seem to say anything to get your money off you. I was hoping someone might of come across it before and I could point the engineers in the right direction. Other than being a boost leak or stuck turbo vane I can't find anything else on this forum.

1st Gear

Status
    Mine does this but at the top end of the rev range in manual mode and the DSG has upshifted itself, I did some logs and came to the conclusion I was hitting a stage one limiter slightly or run out of boost. Audi also suggested the same.
    Hopefully when I get round to mapping, it will cure it.
    The rest of teh rev ranges/changes are fine.

Have you tried it in Manual or sport?
    IceHanger
    2011 S3 8P 5DR Black edition,
    2013 TT TDi BE with lots of toys
    Previous Vehicles:
    Audi S4 B6 4DR Big fuel bill edition
    Audi TT TDi S-line Quattro
    Skoda Octavia 4x4 Turbo,
    Skoda Octavia VRS Estate,
    Vauxhall VX220 Turbo,
    MGF VVC,
    Vauxhall Astra GSi,
    Alfa 33 Cloverleaf,
    Tons of Minis

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by OliS3 View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply, they have said they will fix it but I am just concerned as dealers seem to say anything to get your money off you. I was hoping someone might of come across it before and I could point the engineers in the right direction. Other than being a boost leak or stuck turbo vane I can't find anything else on this forum.
    Then as I advised, get it stipulated you have noted this issue & they are to resolve/fully investigate this & should the fault worsen, then they would be required to fix it at such time, get in writing.

1st Gear

Status
    Cant say that I have had this with mine, by fixing it I assume they would mean a new mechatronic unit, I would try and find one without the lag or test drive another see if it's normal
    2009/2010 | Audi S3 Black Edition Ibis White | Black Optics Pack | Fully Loaded | S-Tronic

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by IceHanger View Post
    Mine does this but at the top end of the rev range in manual mode and the DSG has upshifted itself, I did some logs and came to the conclusion I was hitting a stage one limiter slightly or run out of boost. Audi also suggested the same.
    Hopefully when I get round to mapping, it will cure it.
    The rest of teh rev ranges/changes are fine.

Have you tried it in Manual or sport?
    I doubt it is the limiter as it is in the next gear it loses the boost and pulls fine to redline. I'll try and speak to an engineer and see what they have to say about it.

1st Gear

Status
    I doubt it is the limiter as it is in the next gear it loses the boost and pulls fine to redline. I'll try and speak to an engineer and see what they have to say about it.
    I meant you just brush the limiter in one gear as it changes up, so the engine has cut power briefly and has to build it again so it would be felt in the next gear.
    It sounds like thats not your problem anyway.
    IceHanger
    2011 S3 8P 5DR Black edition,
    2013 TT TDi BE with lots of toys
    Previous Vehicles:
    Audi S4 B6 4DR Big fuel bill edition
    Audi TT TDi S-line Quattro
    Skoda Octavia 4x4 Turbo,
    Skoda Octavia VRS Estate,
    Vauxhall VX220 Turbo,
    MGF VVC,
    Vauxhall Astra GSi,
    Alfa 33 Cloverleaf,
    Tons of Minis

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by IceHanger View Post
    I meant you just brush the limiter in one gear as it changes up, so the engine has cut power briefly and has to build it again so it would be felt in the next gear.
    It sounds like thats not your problem anyway.
    No that does sound similar. I only noticed it at the end of the test drive so I'd need to drive it again test it properly.

3rd Gear

Status
    Power should be completely smooth if accelerating flat out. The only delay that can sometimes occur is if you shift to a gear the box isn't expecting, and you get a little lag. I've also come across remapped cars which haven't been done right which have this issue, but I doubt that's the case here. Suggest you drive it again to make sure, and drive another to compare it to.

Rick
    Unicorn Motor Developments. Bespoke Calibration and Remapping Services
    www.unicornmotordevelopments.com

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev. View Post
    Power should be completely smooth if accelerating flat out. The only delay that can sometimes occur is if you shift to a gear the box isn't expecting, and you get a little lag. I've also come across remapped cars which haven't been done right which have this issue, but I doubt that's the case here. Suggest you drive it again to make sure, and drive another to compare it to.

Rick
    I thought as much, from what I've read the DSG box constantly transmits power to the wheels during a gear change so the load to the engine should also be constant meaning the turbo should stay spooled.

I can't think what would cause it though? At first I thought boost leak but now i'm thinking more a sensor error?

2nd Gear

Status
    First port of call would be to take the DV apart and check it for leaks / splits (depending on the version you have fitted). Has the car been mapped by a previous owner that you are aware of, as there are known issues with later s-tronic cars and lag between gear changes with some remaps.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by nluk100 View Post
    First port of call would be to take the DV apart and check it for leaks / splits (depending on the version you have fitted). Has the car been mapped by a previous owner that you are aware of, as there are known issues with later s-tronic cars and lag between gear changes with some remaps.
    As far as I know the car hasn't been remapped.

Just spoke to the tech and they are saying that it is normal with the 2L turbo and S-tronic combo I've asked him to drive it and explained the problem again and he is going to call me back later.

I guess until they admit there is a problem i'm going to walk away which is a real shame as the car, colour and spec is perfect

1st Gear

Status
    As far as I know the car hasn't been remapped.

Just spoke to the tech and they are saying that it is normal with the 2L turbo and S-tronic combo I've asked him to drive it and explained the problem again and he is going to call me back later.

I guess until they admit there is a problem i'm going to walk away which is a real shame as the car, colour and spec is perfect
    The head tech has drove it and he agreed there is an issue so they are going to look into it tomorrow and will get it sorted so I can buy the car.

Can't wait

3rd Gear

Status
    It will be interesting to see what happens. Could be an issue with the mechatronics unit.

Rick
    Unicorn Motor Developments. Bespoke Calibration and Remapping Services
    www.unicornmotordevelopments.com

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Not heard of this on a 2010 yet, but be interested to know.

1st Gear

Status
    I'll keep you all informed. I've just read up on the mechatronics unit and I don't think it was that as the changes seemed fine. The issue was more with boost coming in.

I'll see what they say today and I can always test drive it again now I know more about it i'll have an idea on what to look for.

1st Gear

Status
    Sounds more like a DV issue
    2009/2010 | Audi S3 Black Edition Ibis White | Black Optics Pack | Fully Loaded | S-Tronic

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydav2306 View Post
    Sounds more like a DV issue
    Just causing a boost leak?

1st Gear

Status
    Just causing a boost leak?
    Yeah sort of, the issue you described I sort of had, around 4-5K flat out it would just stop, then go again, I changed the DV to a revision D part from Audi and havent had the issue since, now my car is a late 2009, finished being built 30th June 2009 I believe and the car you drove a 10 plate so it could be a similar issue.

1st Gear

Status
    Yeah sort of, the issue you described I sort of had, around 4-5K flat out it would just stop, then go again, I changed the DV to a revision D part from Audi and havent had the issue since, now my car is a late 2009, finished being built 30th June 2009 I believe and the car you drove a 10 plate so it could be a similar issue.
    Thanks for the update, I wish I could drive it again as I didn't force it into a gear and run it from low revs to redline. I should hopefully have an update from them later on though. I think it is only a small issue but i'm not committing to spending 20k without it being perfect.

2nd Gear

Status
    A faulty DV will cause the turbo to stall between shifts, hence appear as lag.

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks, it does make sense. Should the DV make any noise as standard as I never heard anything on the test drive? I know they normally recirculate as standard but in my EVO i could still hear some noise.

1st Gear

Status
    Also is there any easy way to test it is working correctly?
    Last edited by OliS3; 23rd January 2013 at 16:55. Reason: stupid mistake

1st Gear

Status
    A faulty DV will flutter so its an obvious stalling noise, with the windows down and my new DV on after 3K revs I just get a really nice pitch constant whistle and you can hear it on constant boost, no flutter at all, it's an awesome sound, even nicer with the S-Tronic as you get the exhaust burp when you change gears I love mine

1st Gear

Status
    A faulty DV will flutter so its an obvious stalling noise, with the windows down and my new DV on after 3K revs I just get a really nice pitch constant whistle and you can hear it on constant boost, no flutter at all, it's an awesome sound, even nicer with the S-Tronic as you get the exhaust burp when you change gears I love mine
    I can't say I noticed a flutter noise but that doesn't mean there wasn't one. I did notice the exhaust burp though which I loved

1st Gear

Status
    I've spoken to them again and the tech said he drove another S3 T-tronic and he could see what I meant (Worrying as I noticed it and I've never driven any kind of S3 before) He said he reset the gearbox learning memory and it has solved the problem. I need to get over there to drive it again but could that really solve it?

Thanks, Oli

JS3
    1st Gear

Status
    I have a 2010 s-tronic, cant say I have noticed this lag, it is very smooth under acceleration and I have the rev D valve I believe. Next time you test drive can you check the valve quickly? I believe (from memory) its a quick check under the bonnet but do a search on here and it should tell you where to find it. Somebody may correct me though!
    2010 S3, Sprint Blue, S-Tronic, RNSE, Cruise Control, Interior Light Pack, Upgraded LED Interior Bulbs, Heated Seats, Hill Hold, Boot Buddy, Fog Turn Lights, Revo Stage 1, De-Wipered

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JS3 View Post
    I have a 2010 s-tronic, cant say I have noticed this lag, it is very smooth under acceleration and I have the rev D valve I believe. Next time you test drive can you check the valve quickly? I believe (from memory) its a quick check under the bonnet but do a search on here and it should tell you where to find it. Somebody may correct me though!
    I drove it again today and the conditions weren't ideal but from what I could tell the issue had been resolved or reduced a lot.

I agreed to buy the car on the basis I had a letter from the dealership showing I had reported the issue and that if it hadn't been resolved they would resolve it under warranty in a reasonable time. Hope I've done the right thing.